Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:31 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 29 November 2012 - 04:01 PM, said:

I havent seen anyone complaining about speed, only the iOSification of the system.
...which is much less extensive that some people make it to appear.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#102 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:52 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 30 November 2012 - 02:31 AM, said:

...which is much less extensive that some people make it to appear.
Well, the skeumorphism sure is everywhere now, which was an iOS thing. The new app launcher is also an iOS thing. Upside down scrolling is an iOS thing. And there are probably more.. But at least the first point is a major thing IMO, as it removes functionality due to eye candy.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#103 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:40 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 30 November 2012 - 03:52 AM, said:

Well, the skeumorphism sure is everywhere now, which was an iOS thing. The new app launcher is also an iOS thing. Upside down scrolling is an iOS thing. And there are probably more.. But at least the first point is a major thing IMO, as it removes functionality due to eye candy. But at least the first point is a major thing IMO, as it removes functionality due to eye candy.
Does it? As butt-ugly as the Lion/Mountain Lion calendar and Address Book are, they still offer the same functionalities as before. The (un)natural scrolling can be disabled with a single click and many other of the features coming from iOS can be easily ignored. No one forces you to use LaunchPad.

When the "iOSfication" of OS X is mentioned, it's always implied that the system's functionalities have become overly simplified and dumbed down. Have they? With the exception of Spaces and Exposé (that has luckily been mostly fixed in ML), everything that Snow Leopard offered is still there. Quite contrarily, features have been added. Mostly unnecessary (LaunchPad, Twitter and Facebook crap), but in parts also useful (e.g. the notifications).

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#104 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3780 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:35 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 30 November 2012 - 05:40 AM, said:

Does it? As butt-ugly as the Lion/Mountain Lion calendar and Address Book are, they still offer the same functionalities as before.
That is not true. I'm using Lion, as my '06 MBP is stuck with it, and I've lost functionality. I don't have a permanent list of my calenders in iCal and I don't have a 3-pane view of my contacts in Adressbook. Either is pretty darn annoying for me and slows my work speed when I use them (And yes, I do use them much!). I don't have Save As functionality either for that matter, and for some reason the system locks my files for no apparent reason other than age. I've also been banished from using my user Library, because Apple dumbed it down.

How is that not loss of functionality? We can keep arguing as long as you'd like, but I've lost features with the upgrade no matter how you twist and turn it.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#105 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

You mean this

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 30 November 2012 - 07:35 AM, said:

That is not true. I'm using Lion, as my '06 MBP is stuck with it, and I've lost functionality. I don't have a permanent list of my calenders in iCal and I don't have a 3-pane view of my contacts in Adressbook. ...
With "permanent list of calendars" you mean this on the left in the shot below?
Posted Image

The one I also have in the calendar app in Mountain Lion?

Posted Image

And with 3-pane view in the address book you mean the one with groups on the left, the name list in the middle and the contact information on the right, like here?

Posted Image
Oddly enough, I have that view in the Mountain Lion address book:

http://i.imgur.com/obrSG.png

I don't have Save As functionality either for that matter, ...
You don't have "Save As" in Mountain Lion? What special version do you use?

I've also been banished from using my user Library, because Apple dumbed it down.
Funnily enough, I can still access my still existing user Library folder, with a single key press.

http://i.imgur.com/TsOXX.png

And what's more: I know how to make it constantly visible again. So no, I haven't lost functionality.

#106 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3780 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

All of the above things are not present in Lion, as mentioned. Why are you deliberately talking down to me?

#107 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 30 November 2012 - 09:34 AM, said:

All of the above things are not present in Lion, as mentioned. Why are you deliberately talking down to me?
Sorry, I noticed too late you mentioned you are only using Lion. I admit I spoke too hastily when I said all the functionalities were also present in Lion — I never used that system very much before updating — but Mountain Lion certainly has them.

More reason for you to update.

#108 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

Since the topic is Mountain Lion, I don't think any complaints about Lion are relevant.  Only complaints about Mountain Lion.  ;)

--Eric

#109 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3780 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:00 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 30 November 2012 - 10:14 AM, said:

More reason for you to update.
As also mentioned, my MBP '06 can't run ML. Otherwise I would have upgraded in a heart beat. I follow a large thread on Macrumors, where people try to port ML to older machines, but the big lack is video drivers unfortuantely.

View PostEric5h5, on 30 November 2012 - 11:10 AM, said:

Since the topic is Mountain Lion, I don't think any complaints about Lion are relevant.  Only complaints about Mountain Lion.  ;)

--Eric
Since when did we follow the rules on this board? I recall when Frost posted nudes of himself in the foyer, and no one seemed to complain!

#110 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:20 AM

Is here the right place to say about how much iTunes 11 sucks?

Column Browser on the left! I'll stay on 10.7 just for you. :crying:
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#111 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

What sucks about it?  They put the color back in the sidebar icons, that should count for a lot....

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 02 December 2012 - 04:00 AM, said:

Since when did we follow the rules on this board? I recall when Frost posted nudes of himself in the foyer, and no one seemed to complain!

Well, um...whoa, look over there!  ::runs off while heads are turned::

--Eric

#112 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

Sidebar colours are nice, but the sidebar is gone by default, so that's a net tie, basically.

Bigger fonts and icons everywhere with no option to get reduce. "Dramatically simplified" means "obnoxiously big", apparently.
Less information display options in the neutered lists of Artists and Genres, which also waste huge amounts more space in the column of artists/lists by having enforced album art next to each entry.
Albums view is rubbish for navigation, but kind of pretty, I guess. Do people really identify their music by the cover art?

"Songs" view is as close to a basic list as you can get, but the Column Browser for filtering sits atop of the main list as opposed to the more efficient "to the left". At least give me the option of still using an interface which better suits wide screens and can display far more data at one time.

So yeah, iTunes 11 does not agree with me. I hope they sort out the column browser and the myriad of bugs which seem to have snuck in before I'm forced into upgrading by device support at some point in the next few years.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#113 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 02 December 2012 - 04:00 AM, said:

Those must have been faked. Everyone knows I never even show my face, nevermind everything.

<has paparazzi assassinated>
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#114 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:09 AM

View Postteflon, on 02 December 2012 - 05:20 AM, said:

Is here the right place to say about how much iTunes 11 sucks?
I'm yet a bit undecided about iTunes 11. On the one hand, there are some nice new additions (like the "Up next" thingy or the glorious return of colour in the sidebar), on the other hand some things that don't really go down well. Why the heck has the icon now look even more like the App Store icon? Why has CoverFlow been removed? (It seems idiotic that CoverFlow is available as useless eye candy in the Finder, but no longer for the purpose it originally was developed — displaying album covers.) Why can't I no longer find duplicates in my library? Why did they make the background in the album view so bright — again, after they already had to offer a dark option in an earlier version (iTunes 10?) on popular demand?

Nothing of this is a real deal-breaker for me, but it still gives me a bit of a headache.

#115 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:00 PM

View PostDjevlen, on 17 October 2012 - 01:34 PM, said:

I have a mid-2011 iMac and this occurred right after I updated to 10.8.2, its been going on since they released ML and as of today there are no fixes. To get rid of it I had to downgrade back down to Lion.
FYI, I fixed this on my cousin's MacBook Pro. We discovered after setting up another user on his machine that the audio problem immediately went away, then would come back when logged in on his account. Pored over his user folder and tossed or temporarily removed nearly everything that looked even slightly suspicious, uninstalled every third party preference pane and extension, did everything possible, no dice.

So, instead, we deleted his user folder, set up a new one, then manually moved his iTunes, Safari, Mail, needed preferences, etc. and let everything else get dumped. Presto. No more crackling.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#116 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

Yeah, that type of thing has happened many a time to me before. Some random corruption in the system. I have nearly lost count how many times I have had to re-install and/or re-set up OS X and the login accounts, on this rather finicky iMac.

Lib.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State