#1 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7004 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:49 AM

Just to let you know: since 45 minutes or so, ML is available from the MAS. I haven't bought it yet and probably won't until the weekend (and then definitely only install it on my Mac mini). So, if anyone of you have it already, let us know how you fare so far.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#2 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2929 posts
  • Steam ID:ThainEshKelch

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:05 AM

Who takes the plunge first, and verifies that all my games still work in ML?
"They're everywhere!"

And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m.

#3 doh123

doh123

Wineskin

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:33 AM

I've been running the GM for a couple of weeks with no issues.

#4 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3795 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

A mountain lion is just another name for a cougar (Puma concolor).
Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#5 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:02 AM

No Lions for me.
Snow Leopard 4 ever.
Or at least till I'm absolutely forced.
  Work: MacPro 2x3.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/8GB RAM/ATI HD5870,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Vista64
Home: MacPro 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon/6GB RAM/ATI HD4870,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Vista64
Travel: Clamshell G3 266MHz/OS 9

#6 doh123

doh123

Wineskin

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:04 PM

Mountain Lion release version and the Mountain Lion GM version are identical builds... no change.  It should run really good then until 10.8.1 is ready.

#7 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15607 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on 25 July 2012 - 10:21 AM, said:

A mountain lion is just another name for a cougar (Puma concolor).
So then this OS is going to dress inappropriately for it's age and hit on your friends when you bring them around?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#8 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2929 posts
  • Steam ID:ThainEshKelch

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

I have to admit, that the cake my girlfriend is currently baking is stealing most of my interest.

Unified search bar in Safari and iMessages is more or less the only things that I'm looking forward to. Quite sad.
"They're everywhere!"

And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m.

#9 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3373 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

They ef'ed up the resolutions! Gaw'd Dammit!
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#10 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3795 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:18 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 25 July 2012 - 01:41 PM, said:

I have to admit, that the cake my girlfriend is currently baking is stealing most of my interest.

Unified search bar in Safari and iMessages is more or less the only things that I'm looking forward to. Quite sad.

It'd be better if Safari easily supported DuckDuckGo and other search engines.
Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#11 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3042 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

New OS for my birthday was pretty cool. For some reason Star Trek Voyager Elite Force in cider was choppy so I had to move it to wineskin but other than that I have no complaints compared to Lion. The auto-birthday from contacts thing that also calculates the age of the person in Calender is pretty neat.

Candybar is broken though so I'm missing having custom folder\system icons. Although the new default dock skin looks kind of like something I would choose to put on via a third party skin so I don't mind it so much.. much better than the older default dock looks for Leopard and Lion.

So far I have noticed Serious Sam 3 BFE has better dynamic shadows at a distance in Mt. Lion. Previously the shadows where kind of grainy at a distance and popped in... not any more.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#12 Frost

Frost

PowerPC Inside

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4928 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:55 PM

Only thing I play with regularity on my MBP at the moment is StarCraft 2, and from what I've heard Mountain Lion gives it a pretty good kick in the pants performance-wise over Lion. So I'll be getting ML probably within the next 24 hours.

EDIT: Actually, it might be longer than that. Download is a CRAWL.

"Oh, getting physical media at the store is sooo-o-oo yesterday and takes so long! Downloads are like, totally the future! It's fast and easy!"

Time to drive to the Mall, park, walk to the Apple Store, get a CD/USB drive, walk out of the Mall, drive home, and completely install fresh copy of Mac OS X and reboot with it ready to use on launch day, based on past experience: About 2 to 2.5 hours

Time to download 15% of Mac OS X from Apple on small business DSL on launch day, based on current ongoing experience: 4 hours and counting.

Oh, and if something goes wrong with the install and you need to start over, the installer deletes itself, so HAHA, YOU'RE FRAKKED NOW!

The future sucks.
Cypher (PowerMac G5 Quad) – 2x2.5 GHz PPC 970MP / 16GB ECC RAM / 1TB WDC Velociraptor, 2TB STX Constellation ES.2 / QuadroFX 4500 512MB
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.2 GHz Ci7 4770K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Crucial M550 M.2, 3TB STX Barracuda / GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB
Chromium (MacBook Pro Early 2008) – 2.6 GHz C2D T9500 / 4GB RAM / 960GB Crucial M500 / GeForce 8600M GT 512MB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 Titanium) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 480GB OWC Mercury Legacy Pro / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#13 doh123

doh123

Wineskin

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

View PostFrost, on 25 July 2012 - 07:55 PM, said:

Only thing I play with regularity on my MBP at the moment is StarCraft 2, and from what I've heard Mountain Lion gives it a pretty good kick in the pants performance-wise over Lion. So I'll be getting ML probably within the next 24 hours.

"Oh, getting physical media at the store is sooo-o-oo yesterday and takes so long! Downloads are like, totally the future! It's fast and easy!"

Time to drive to the Mall, park, walk to the Apple Store, get a CD/USB drive, walk out of the Mall, drive home, and completely install fresh copy of Mac OS X and reboot with it ready to use on launch day, based on past experience: About 2 to 2.5 hours

Time to download 15% of Mac OS X from Apple on small business DSL on launch day, based on current ongoing experience: 4 hours and counting.

Oh, and if something goes wrong with the install and you need to start over, the installer deletes itself, so HAHA, YOU'RE FRAKKED NOW!

The future sucks.

well if you have a slow connection... only took me like 45 minutes to download it.

but anyways, you can leave your computer downloading and go do other things and come back to it tomorrow, rather than wasting a few hours of your time trying to get it... spend 0 hours and do something else and let the computer work for you

#14 Frost

Frost

PowerPC Inside

• Forum Moderators
  • 4928 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:45 PM

No, I don't have a slow connection. I pulled a few gigabytes off Sony earlier today in my quest to reinstall my downloaded data on my new PS3. Only possible explanation is there are either a giant pile of people downloading it right now, so Apple's serving it up slowly, or their connection to me is explicably slow, which seems pretty unlikely that it's only occurring on launch day.

I'm sure if I downloaded it a couple days from now it'd be relatively fast, and yeah, I can walk away and do it later, but that's not the point. Point is in 2012 it takes longer to acquire and install the new Mac OS on launch day than it did 10 years ago, because Apple opted not to have ANY physical copies at all with ML.
Cypher (PowerMac G5 Quad) – 2x2.5 GHz PPC 970MP / 16GB ECC RAM / 1TB WDC Velociraptor, 2TB STX Constellation ES.2 / QuadroFX 4500 512MB
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.2 GHz Ci7 4770K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Crucial M550 M.2, 3TB STX Barracuda / GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB
Chromium (MacBook Pro Early 2008) – 2.6 GHz C2D T9500 / 4GB RAM / 960GB Crucial M500 / GeForce 8600M GT 512MB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 Titanium) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 480GB OWC Mercury Legacy Pro / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#15 doh123

doh123

Wineskin

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:28 PM

View PostFrost, on 25 July 2012 - 09:45 PM, said:

I'm sure if I downloaded it a couple days from now it'd be relatively fast, and yeah, I can walk away and do it later, but that's not the point. Point is in 2012 it takes longer to acquire and install the new Mac OS on launch day than it did 10 years ago, because Apple opted not to have ANY physical copies at all with ML.
for some people... maybe.  For some people its faster since local stores don't always have stock the first day, or run out.  Its also much cheaper than it was years ago.  But you still gloss over the whole fact that going to the local store you actually have to spend your own time doing the acquiring, thats a HUGE difference and a great thing about digital copies.  This is also not unique to Apple but the whole software world.

#16 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1718 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:20 AM

The future sucks.

Most places I've seen people talk about maxing their connections. Took me less than 12 minutes to download.

The download will resume if your internet disconnects.

#17 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7004 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:50 AM

I bought and downloaded ML already yesterday evening, and it also took me about 5 hours to download – and I also don't have a slow connection (4 GB usually take around 45 minutes, depending on the source). I'll grant that the MAS probably was totally overrun yesterday, but my experiences so far with downloading an OS from Apple aren't too good: I had to re-install Lion on my Mac mini once (long story) from the recovery partition. What usually would have taken roughly an hour, maybe an hour and a half (popping in the DVD, clicking "install", wait), took me six frigging hours because the installer had to download all the crap first.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#18 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1718 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:53 AM

Make sure to create a USB installer this time.

#19 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7004 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:59 AM

View PostHansi, on 26 July 2012 - 01:53 AM, said:

Make sure to create a USB installer this time.
I'm planning to do that. (I couldn't do that for Lion since the Mac mini already came with Lion pre-installed and hence there was no recoverable installation image.)

#20 Frost

Frost

PowerPC Inside

• Forum Moderators
  • 4928 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:41 AM

View Postdoh123, on 25 July 2012 - 11:28 PM, said:

for some people... maybe.  For some people its faster since local stores don't always have stock the first day, or run out.  Its also much cheaper than it was years ago.  But you still gloss over the whole fact that going to the local store you actually have to spend your own time doing the acquiring, thats a HUGE difference and a great thing about digital copies.  This is also not unique to Apple but the whole software world.
I'm glossing over it because while I suppose leaving the house to get something could be considered huge hassle, I can't download groceries, gasoline, or ammunition, so swinging by the store to pick up a physical copy of software too really doesn't bother me that much. Especially if I wanted to play with Mountain Lion yesterday evening (which I did) instead of this morning. And maxing out my connection would be about 700K/sec, so obviously it wasn't me that was the problem; I should've had it in an hour and 20 minutes. Although that's still more time than swinging by the local Apple Store would have taken me.

My point is I'm totally cool with downloads being an option. But I like physical copies being an option too for when I consider waiting on a download annoying and the server that's dishing those downloads out is already swamped. Downloads only with no other options really sucks. It'll likely suck less soon considering my business connection will probably get bumped to 22 megabit in the near future, but only if the server isn't swamped. Then, as now, it won't matter how fast my connection is if Apple's only serving up about 400MB/hour. Yes, I could go do something else. But maybe my work's done for the day, I want to play with ML now, and I don't have something better to do.

Same reason I don't do downloadable movies... I either have to severely compromise quality, or download 25-50 gigabytes (currently not an option from anywhere anyway). Or I can stop by a store for a BD on the way home, and done.

When everybody's got 50 megabit connections and servers can serve up data that fast even when there's high demand, I'll be onboard with the downloadable-only people. Until then, download-only for multigigabyte stuff = blah.

Eric5h5: