3 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:24 AM

Inside Mac Games has posted a new interview with Brandon Sanderson, New York Times bestselling author of the Mistborn novels, about his collaboration with Little Orbit on the upcoming Mistborn: Birthright. Based on the fantasy series, the upcoming action role playing game will feature an original story from the author set hundreds of years before the first novel. Players will take the role of a young nobleman struggling to master his new found magic powers as he battles those seeking to destroy his family.

It is early in the development process, but I am sure you have some intentions as to what you want this game to be. If you could get everything you desire in this project, what type of game would it be? I assume you have played a few games yourself, would it be an RPG like Dragon Age or Two Worlds II, a graphical adventure like Monkey Island or Myst, or will it be more of an FPS like Bioshock?

Sanderson: We're definitely shooting for, on this game, Action RPG. A little less like Dragon Age in that it's a solo adventure with one person—certainly there are NPCs and things, but we're not talking about a party; we're talking about a Mistborn doing awesome stuff. That's what I wanted this game to be. There are so many different ways you could take a game like this; I would like to try different aspects.

One of my favorite games recently was Demon Souls, and its sequel Dark Souls. I like gameplay mechanics like that, for a game like this. But we have to mix it with something more like Infamous in its combat system; powers and things like that. A blend of those types of games is what I would be shooting for. Certainly with a stronger RPG element to it.
Check out the full interview at the page below.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2613 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:03 AM

Ted, great questions! I get frustrated when an interviewer asks on skin deep questions, the answers to which are mostly in press releases already.

(You also were very clear about understanding that details of the game will change between now and release. This is my current pet peeve (triggered by Kickstarter mania) that people don't understand this basic reality of game development.)

Minor comment: I don't think you needed to insert your own apology/editorial for Brandon's answer to why he's making the game. Wasn't needed IMHO.

FWIW, I was about 100 pages into the first Mistborn book when I read the interview, and I understood everything yet there were no spoilers. So that was very pleasant as well.

Edit: just realized you didn't ask him if he uses a Mac for anything. I thought that was a requirement of IMG interviews! :-)
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#3 tbade

tbade

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

Sorry about missing that one. I didn't ask, because I had already found out before the interview process that he is a Window's user. However, his personal secretary, and the person with whom I interacted with the most is a Mac user. Sorry about that, LOL!

Edit: just realized you didn't ask him if he uses a Mac for anything. I thought that was a requirement of IMG interviews! :-)
[/quote]

#4 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2613 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:43 PM

View Posttbade, on 23 July 2012 - 02:24 PM, said:

Sorry about missing that one. I didn't ask, because I had already found out before the interview process that he is a Window's user.

I was half joking, but I agree, if you knew the answer was no then there was no point in asking him. Although it can be funny to see an interviewee squirm as they try to be diplomatic. "Um, no, but some of my best friends use Macs.." (Although these days more often than not the person will point to an iPad or iPhone.)
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB