#41 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3304 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:28 PM

iMac's will be updated soon. I just can't believe they wouldn't update them. iMac's sell like hotcakes
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#42 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:37 PM

Yeah, iMacs have to happen this year, so it's either going to be this summer, or after the Back to School promo has ended, and in time for Christmas. My money's on the latter.

Mac Pro news sucks balls for those that want one. It's another slap in the face for that particular market. Yes, it's coming, which is nice, but it's far too late.

Retina MBP? Utterly gorgeous.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#43 ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data

Positronic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:05 PM

View PostTesseract, on 12 June 2012 - 03:32 PM, said:

So I guess mention of "an Apple spokesman" means it's more or less official. 2013 is still 6 months away, and that's if Tim's "later next year" was just redundant ("later" and "next year") rather than meaning late 2013.
I find it interesting that after publicly announcing Apple is doubling down on product secrecy, Cook turns around and basically publicly announces a launch timeline for the next Mac Pro. This is probably the first time Apple has announced a release schedule for a product that they haven't even launched yet. But I guess faced with the choice between secrecy and losing customers it makes sense to throw people a (small) bone.

View Postteflon, on 12 June 2012 - 06:37 PM, said:

Yeah, iMacs have to happen this year, so it's either going to be this summer, or after the Back to School promo has ended, and in time for Christmas. My money's on the latter.
Apple has previously refreshed the iMac in July, in the middle of the Back to School promo, so I hope that's the case here. I'm thinking that they didn't want to spawn more custom builds of Lion and have to integrate them together for the Mountain Lion launch. They probably wanted to wait until Mountain Lion is released before announcing new iMacs. Plus if they are going to be releasing Retina iMacs, those screens are definitely going to be slow to ramp.

#44 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:42 PM

View Postltcommander.data, on 12 June 2012 - 10:05 PM, said:

I find it interesting that after publicly announcing Apple is doubling down on product secrecy, Cook turns around and basically publicly announces a launch timeline for the next Mac Pro. This is probably the first time Apple has announced a release schedule for a product that they haven't even launched yet. But I guess faced with the choice between secrecy and losing customers it makes sense to throw people a (small) bone.

That is an interesting point. It makes me think that there perhaps is a lot of decision making going on with new design choices on the Mac Pro. It's either going to be a new design or a completely different type of product all together.

http://www.youtube.c...bed/AFUW7GcHsLQ

If they are so concerned about drawing attention to the new MBP, it would make sense that the iMac is also getting a design overhaul, keeping it from WWDC would avoid overwhelming people. I'm not fussed eitherway, i'd just like to see some even beefier graphics stuff

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#45 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8103 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:22 AM

Apple has previously refreshed the iMac in July, in the middle of the Back to School promo, so I hope that's the case here. I'm thinking that they didn't want to spawn more custom builds of Lion and have to integrate them together for the Mountain Lion launch. They probably wanted to wait until Mountain Lion is released before announcing new iMacs. Plus if they are going to be releasing Retina iMacs, those screens are definitely going to be slow to ramp.
We'll definitely will see new iMac this year, the only question is whether they will be only incremental updates or already completely new, redesigned models. The latter will definitely happen: Apple has made pretty clear they think completely Flash storage based computers are the future and it reasonable to assume they will switch all their products to Retina displays. So a thinner Retina display Mac without optical drive and only Flash storage will come for sure. The limiting factor are price and availability of Flash memory and Retina displays (especially of the size required for iMacs), so I think it's perfectly possible that the redesigned iMacs will only come next year.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#46 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8103 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:52 AM

There's something like an early review of the Retina MBP on Anandtech, also touching gaming performance at Retina resolution (apparently bearable, but not stellar).

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#47 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3822 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:30 AM

I have a hard time seeing how they can improve the current iMac, form factor wise... It is gorgeous!

Easier access to the insides of course, especially the harddrive, but other than that.. *Shrug*
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#48 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:56 AM

I'm guessing they got a lot of angry emails, and this is damage control. They even removed the "new" badge from the Mac Pro picture in the store.

This may be a departure from the historical Apple way, but it's a positive one. Actually taking steps to address customers' concerns, rather than enforcing secrecy at all cost, is a very good thing. Of course, it would be even better to ship a decent update so customers don't have those concerns to start with…

So while the existence of the problem is bad, the response to it has at least been better than expected.

#49 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3304 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:07 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 13 June 2012 - 02:30 AM, said:

I have a hard time seeing how they can improve the current iMac, form factor wise... It is gorgeous!

Easier access to the insides of course, especially the harddrive, but other than that.. *Shrug*

IVB and the 7970M would be huge improvements. The 7970M is a slightly downclocked 7870. The 7870 is significantly faster then the 5870 is the Mac Pro.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#50 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:31 AM

At this point I'm a little tired of AMD\ATI graphics though especially for their WINE compatiblity. I can't upgrade to the latest revisions because ATI compatibility is borked because previously they had to use workarounds for the drivers and they removed those workarounds a few revisions back severely tanking performance of WINE on ATI hardware.... and it's up to them (AMD) to fix it in their drivers and who knows when or if they are going to. Also their OpenGL drivers are notoriously bad in Windows so much that it's made an anti ATI brigade at places like Duke4 in regards to projects like eduke32.... not to mention any other game or pro app that uses OpenGL.

So in all honesty I'd like it if they went with a top of the line nvidia GPUs in the new iMacs.... and please don't skimp out on the VRAM.. 1GB isn't going to last one a long time running games at ultra settings & native resolution I don't think.

As far as the form factor goes i wouldn't mind if they made the bezel around the screen even slimmer than it is now so there's less black space around the screen. I mean... look how thin the bezel is around those new macbook pros.

Also I wouldn't mind a size bump like say to a 32 inch 16:9 for the high end. My TV in the living room is a 32 inch 16:9 and while the resolution doesn't quite match my iMacs (it's literally 1/4th the resolution).. I like the size when gaming.

The depth of the machine is fine though it doesn't need to be any slimmer than that I mean... I'd rather have improved cooling than have the depth of the machine made even more skinnier. Height adjustment for the screen may be nice too although I'm not sure how they would do it in a aesthetically pleasing way.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#51 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:32 PM

They did so last year, yes, but last year the MBP overhaul with Thunderbolt came early in the year, and then a minor bump at the end of the year, so they handled the MBA and iMac together during the summer.

Apple don't really update too much of their product line in one go, it's all spread out over the year, so I can't help but think that if the Mac Pro is coming next year, and with further portables also much more likely to next see an update in 2013, what do they have that can be updated in the autumn? That's why I'd bet on iMacs then, over the summer.

I personally wouldn't expect too much from the iMacs this year. More of a spec bump, with a very remote chance of Retina until next year. I mean, the 27" is already at 2560x1440...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#52 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6096 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:58 AM

View PostEric5h5, on 11 June 2012 - 07:18 PM, said:

Regarding the Mac Pro lackluster update, Tim Cook apparently sez: "Our pro customers are really important to us...don't worry as we're working on something really great for later next year."  They have a funny way of showing it, but we'll see.  Hang in there, Frost!

--Eric
The full e-mail showed up on Macworld today:

Tim Cook said:

Franz,

Thanks for your email. Our Pro customers like you are really important to us. Although we didn’t have a chance to talk about a new Mac Pro at today’s event, don’t worry as we’re working on something really great for later next year. We also updated the current model today.

We’ve been continuing to update Final Cut Pro X with revolutionary pro features like industry leading multi-cam support and we just updated Aperture with incredible new image adjustment features.

We also announced a MacBook Pro with a Retina Display that is a great solution for many pros.

Tim
Okay, that I can live with till next year.

Especially seeing as "next year" for Apple starts in September.

See, popsnizzleheads, all you had to do was say something. Now I feel more at ease that at least Apple will keep making real machines, just later on, rather than having to settle for "oh, this iMac is totally Pro." Don't make me punch you in the face.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#53 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3822 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:25 AM

"Later next year" could also mean 18 months from now..

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#54 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8103 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:36 AM

Okay, a few days after it has been revealed, it's maybe time to lessen the enthusiasm for the Retina MBP a bit: for one, the device lost the audio line in and audio line out ports, which probably won't go very well with parts of its target audience (yeah, Thunderbolt adapters would probably be possible – if there were such a thing).

Secondly – and worse –: the thing isn't the slightest bit user serviceable. The SSD is completely proprietary. In theory, you could change it – but you won't get a replacement part. And you can't change or expand the RAM. At all. It's soldered to the main board. You need more than the amount you bought it with? Bad luck. Throw it away and buy a new one.

Good job minimizing the possible life-time of a $2000+ device, Apple.

#55 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3822 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:02 AM

Well, the MBA had the same approach, and its SSD got upgradeable. Too bad about the RAM, but I assume 95% users will be completely satisfied with 8GB. Power users just have to upgrade when they buy it.

I'm not sure what you mean by lost audio in/out:

Headphone port
Support for Apple iPhone headset with remote and microphone
Support for audio line out

#56 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8103 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:58 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 14 June 2012 - 02:02 AM, said:

I'm not sure what you mean by lost audio in/out:

Headphone port
Support for audio line out
They seem to have added that line recently. Before that, they explicitly discerned between "audio line-out" for the classic MBPs and "headphone port" for the Retina MBP - which is not the same. The classic MBPs also had digital line-out, the Retina MBP apparently not.

#57 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:49 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 14 June 2012 - 03:58 AM, said:

They seem to have added that line recently. Before that, they explicitly discerned between "audio line-out" for the classic MBPs and "headphone port" for the Retina MBP - which is not the same. The classic MBPs also had digital line-out, the Retina MBP apparently not.

It would be the same thing, optical audio out, all computers have this

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#58 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8103 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:02 AM

View PostAussieMacGamer, on 14 June 2012 - 05:49 AM, said:

It would be the same thing, optical audio out, all computers have this
Well, the Retina MBP apparently has not. Apple nowhere mentions anything about optical and or digital audio out (where they explicitly state this for all other Macs) and judging from several discussions on Apple's support boards, this has been confirmed by some representatives (although the situation is admittedly yet not 100% official).

#59 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:14 AM

In addition, the batteries are glued into place in that new MBP. iMac update this calendar year? Hmm, I'm 50-50 on that one, but simply going off my gut feel.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#60 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:00 AM

View Postteflon, on 13 June 2012 - 01:32 PM, said:

I personally wouldn't expect too much from the iMacs this year. More of a spec bump, with a very remote chance of Retina until next year. I mean, the 27" is already at 2560x1440...

I concur. I think we'll see a new iMac in July or August but it won't be Retina. It will be a spec bump and have USB 3.0 and SSD though. Retina iMacs don't make much sense to me at this point. At this time next year the industry (particularly software developers) will be in a better position to take advantage of such a mammoth resolution.

-PN
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.12.3
iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi/iPhone 6+ 64GB