• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

#21 Kilvain

Kilvain

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 203 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:07 PM

Legends of Eisenwald has reached its funding goal. Another $50k and we'll get a simultaneous Mac/PC release.

#22 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1438 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:54 PM

Have there been any successful games to have germinated out of Kickstarter funding? Wumpus' link to that Gamasutra article is a good one. An interesting subtitle; We Are Still In The Euphoric Phase.

Not this pessimist. I was Mac gamer in the '90s.
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#23 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:40 PM

Kinda too soon to answer that, I would think.

--Eric

#24 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:35 AM

We talk a lot about this in the ending section of the latest MacGameCast: http://insidemacgame...-cook-interview

News will be up on IMG tomorrow, but figured I'd link it here as its relevant discussion. I don't have the exact timestamp, but probably the last 20 or so minutes.
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#25 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:02 AM

I've got to add my 3 cents for SKYJACKER.  This game looks absolutely amazing and is quite far along in development already.  This is an example of a game that is almost done and just needs a little financial nudge to move it towards completion.  Unfortunately, it really has a long way to go to get there in the next two weeks.  Please check it out and support it.

I just don't understand why it is that the games that are just in the conceptual stage at this point can hit their funding to fast while games that actually have something to show can languish for so long.  At any rate, if Republique can do it, so can Skyjacker.  And as Kilvain pointed out, it's going to be a Mac game ON RELEASE.
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#26 doh123

doh123

Wineskin

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:40 AM

View Postclocknova, on 16 May 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

I've got to add my 3 cents for SKYJACKER.  This game looks absolutely amazing and is quite far along in development already.  This is an example of a game that is almost done and just needs a little financial nudge to move it towards completion.  Unfortunately, it really has a long way to go to get there in the next two weeks.  Please check it out and support it.

I just don't understand why it is that the games that are just in the conceptual stage at this point can hit their funding to fast while games that actually have something to show can languish for so long.  At any rate, if Republique can do it, so can Skyjacker.  And as Kilvain pointed out, it's going to be a Mac game ON RELEASE.
Why? Because games that are concepts are easier for backers to fantasize thinking it going to be exactly as they want it to be... It's idealized in their minds. If you have more to show, you've broken the ideas of several would be backers, even if some people love it... it can lower the total number of backers

#27 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:06 AM

View Postdoh123, on 16 May 2012 - 10:40 AM, said:

Why? Because games that are concepts are easier for backers to fantasize thinking it going to be exactly as they want it to be... It's idealized in their minds. If you have more to show, you've broken the ideas of several would be backers, even if some people love it... it can lower the total number of backers

Interesting point, and a counter-intuitive one at that.  Still, Skyjacker looks amazing even without the additional fantasies.
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#28 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2477 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:18 PM

View Postdoh123, on 16 May 2012 - 10:40 AM, said:

+1. Great insight. The least risky games to contribute to will tend to have a harder time getting backers.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#29 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:53 PM

Wanted to add Tex Murphy Kickstarter: http://www.kickstart...-project-fedora

Its going to be Mac/PC and its nearly halfway there already. I vaguely remember hearing about the older games but I never played them. Love the video and the whole presentation about this project so I'll probably pledge. Any other people here into this one?
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)

#30 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:22 PM

I liked the video for Tex Murhpy but not sure if I want to dip in and support another project. I'll keep an eye on it though in the meantime :)

#31 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:55 PM

View Postclocknova, on 16 May 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

+1 to Skyjacker. It's a bit frustrating that the gaming press seems to be ignoring it. I can understand their overall trepidation towards kickstarters when many games have barely started development, but this one already has a full-fledged demo.

Their first Kickstarter was a total mess––confusing, convoluted tiers––so they elected to start over before it finished. You can find the vastly improved version here.

#32 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:10 PM

It´s not on Kickstarter but on indiegogo.com it will be for the Mac, too!

I know there are some Lovecraft-ians here - but also everybody who loves 3D J&R check this out. The graphics are totally doped...
:D
http://www.indiegogo.com/tinycthulhu

Hail Cthulhu!
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

8 - iPhone SE, 16GB
7- iPad Pro 12.9", WiFi 128GB
6- MacMini 7,1: i5@2.6GHZ, 8GB, Intel Iris (5100)
5- iPad Air, 16Gb
4- MacBook Pro 8,1:  i5@2.3GHz, intel HD3000, 8GB RAM
3- iPad 2, 16GB
2- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB
1- MacBook 1,1, 1,83GHz, intel GMA950, 2GB RAM
-> The (nearly) ultimate intel HD 3000 gaming performance sheet <-

#33 Kilvain

Kilvain

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 203 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:02 PM

Let's recap:

Funding Successful:

Double Fine Adventure: $3,336,371 PLEDGED OF $400,000 GOAL

Wasteland 2: $2,933,252 PLEDGED OF $900,000 GOAL

Shadowrun Returns: $1,836,447 PLEDGED OF $400,000 GOAL

The Banner Saga: $723,886 PLEDGED OF $100,000 GOAL

Auditorium 2 - Duet: $71,061 PLEDGED OF $60,000 GOAL

Blink: $14,580 PLEDGED OF $10,000 GOAL

Nekro: $158,733 PLEDGED OF $100,000 GOAL

Kinetic Void: $66,528 PLEDGED OF $60,000 GOAL

Legends of Eisenwald: $83,577 PLEDGED OF $50,000 GOAL

Republique: $555,662 PLEDGED OF $500,000 GOAL

Kitaru: $35,758 PLEDGED OF $25,000 GOAL

Valdis Story: $49,574 PLEDGED OF $8,000 GOAL

Carmageddon Reincarnation: $625,143 PLEDGED OF $400,000 GOAL

Moebius: $435,316 PLEDGED OF $300,000 GOAL

Xenonauts: $151,293 PLEDGED OF $50,000 GOAL

Tex Murphy: $598,104 PLEDGED OF $450,000 GOAL

SpaceVenture: $539,767 PLEDGED OF $500,000 GOAL

Lilly Looking Through: Ends Jun 30 ($26,154 PLEDGED OF $18,000 GOAL)

Not Yet Successful:

Ground Branch: Ends July 6 ($39,353 PLEDGED OF $425,000 GOAL)

Haunts: The Manse Macabre: Ends Jul 6 ($13,761 PLEDGED of $25,000 goal)

Paper Sorcerer: Ends Jul 9 ($2,025 PLEDGED OF $5,000 GOAL)

Alpha Colony - A Tribute to M.U.L.E.: Ends Jul 15 ($9,066 PLEDGED OF $500,000 GOAL)

Tiny Cthulhu: Ends Jul 21 ($296 PLEDGED of $15,000 GOAL)

SKYJACKER: Ends Jul 23 ($56,104 PLEDGED OF $200,000 GOAL)

Not Successful:

Dark Meridian: $6,808 PLEDGED OF $250,000 GOAL

Deepworld:  $13,284 PLEDGED OF $20,000 GOAL

Cross of the Dutchman:  $13,711 PLEDGED OF $50,000 GOAL

Hard Contact: $827 PLEDGED OF $100,000 GOAL

Sword of Justice: $7,087 PLEDGED OF $195,000 GOAL

Rimelands - Hammer of Thor (PC/Mac): $510 PLEDGED of $30,000 GOAL

Edited by Kilvain, 20 June 2012 - 04:44 AM.

#34 Kilvain

Kilvain

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 203 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:50 PM

Here are a few interesting titles:

Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones: an "open-ended" RPG with "procedural storytelling" that is currently all text. It has already reached the target funding amount ($5,000). At $7,500 "Cult will get its very own tileset, and incorporate SDL drawing functions into the game to add custom graphics." Mac version status: "At $10,000, I will set up a timetable specifically for porting the game to Mac and Linux systems."

"Cult is an open-ended role-playing game set in a user-generated world with a strong focus on storytelling, exploration, and environmental interaction. In simpler terms, it is about exploring a richly fleshed-out fantasy world unique from any other, with procedurally generated stories, myths, legends, civilizations, creatures, gods, and - well, basically everything! Cult is one part role playing game and one part experiment into the possible depth of procedural generation, and one of my goals with this project is to intertwine computer-driven storytelling with random content in a way that appears as seamless as possible to the player."

CLANG: A realistic sword dueling game which will start as an arena game, if funded, and eventually add adventure tales. They are asking for $500,000. Mac version status: "platforms add complexity that distracts from achieving the initial goal. That isn’t to say they aren’t viable platforms, but  supporting them at the outset creates a need for a larger budget. Mac  and Linux support will ultimately depend on what game engine we use. We  are leaning strongly towards Unity,"

"At first, it'll be a PC arena game based on one-on-one multiplayer dueling (which is a relatively simple and attainable goal; we don't want to mess this up by overreaching). Dueling, however, is only the tip of the sword blade. During the past few years, we have been developing a rich world, brimming with all manner of adventure tales waiting to be written--and to be played. In conjunction with 47 North, Amazon.com's new science fiction publishing house, we've already begun publishing some of those stories, and we have plenty more in the hopper. Once we get CLANG off the ground we intend to weave game and story content together in a way that'll enhance both the playing and the reading experience.

"How will this be different than SoulCalibur?" you ask. .....

Low-latency, high-precision motion controller: Critical to a satisfying sword fight is fast, accurate response. This is especially important for CLANG given the depth and complexity of moves that are used in real sword arts. Initially, CLANG will make use of a commercial, third-party, off-the-shelf controller that anyone can buy today

Depth: Roundhouse swings and crude blocks just aren't enough. Real sword fighting involves multiple attacks delivered from different stances, pommel strikes, grappling, feints, and parries.

Expandability: Implementing the longsword style will oblige us to construct a toolkit that can then be used--by us, or by others--to create other examples of what we're calling MASEs (Martial Arts System Embodiments). If your thing is Japanese kenjutsu or Viking sword-and-board, then in principle CLANG should support it."

Dead State: The Zombie Survival RPG: They are asking for $150,000. Mac version status: "We know there’s interest and we may incorporate it as a stretch goal."

"Dead State is a compelling, high-tension RPG set at the beginning of the zombie apocalypse. As society is beginning to fall apart, the player must organize allies, fortify a shelter, scout for food and supplies, and make uncertain alliances, attempting to hold together a group as humanity teeters on the brink of extinction. And although the zombies lurk as an ever present threat, the biggest obstacle to the player may just be other humans with the same goal: survival at any cost.

Interact with dozens of characters in over 10,000 lines of branching dialogue that affect gameplay, story outcomes, and multiple endings. Explore multiple surrounding towns and areas to find supplies and recruit allies. Fight the living and the dead in strategic turn-based combat. Upgrade your shelter to provide new ways of keeping morale high, creating new weapons and armor, and keeping the dead out. Your leadership will mean life or undeath for the survivors of the zombie apocalypse.  

We are so sick of most zombie games. Yes, we get it, killing zombies is fun. But that’s not what the zombie genre is about. It’s about survival, first and foremost – the struggle of the survivors faced with adapting to a world that has succumbed to an unfathomable event."

#35 Kilvain

Kilvain

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 203 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:59 PM

Adding Ground Branch to the list. A tactical shooter "spiritual successor to Ghost Recon." Mac version on release

Also, Two Guys Space Venture reached its funding goal.

#36 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:48 PM

I have to admit I have trouble seeing Clang to become a game appealing to more than a handful of people, but the videos are hilarious (if haven't watched them yet, keep an eye out for a special cameo in the first one ;) ).

Alpha Colony also strongly appeals strongly to my fondness of great, classic (very classic in this case) games: I remember playing M.U.L.E. endlessly with a friend of mine on his Atari 800XL. Actually, you are pledging support for two games here: Alpha Colony, which is supposed to come for PC, Mac, iOS and Android, and "M.U.L.E. Returns", which is a faithful remake of the original game for iOS and Android. At least Alpha Colony will also use Unity as engine.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#37 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:51 PM

I hope Clang succeeds. I'm pretty interested and will probably donate. Its higher priced to get the game ($25 minimum) that most projects which you can pickup a copy for $10-$15. But it looks cool and the videos are tremendously well done.

Cameo in the first one by who? I watched it and didn't notice anyone cameo wise.

#38 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:50 PM

View PostWumpus, on 16 June 2012 - 12:51 PM, said:

Cameo in the first one by who? I watched it and didn't notice anyone cameo wise.
Hint: crowbar. :P

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#39 Kilvain

Kilvain

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 203 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:33 PM

Two more for your consideration:

First up is Lilly Looking Through, an animated adventure game that will be available for Macs when released. They've already reached and passed their funding target.

"What Lilly sees is about to change her life forever....Help our heroine through a variety of enchanting environments brimming with magic and wonder, as she seeks to rewrite the past, change the present, and unlock the ultimate mystery.  Geeta Games presents an animated adventure for all ages; Lilly Looking Through."

Second is Paper Sorcerer, a first-person turn-based RPG with adventure game elements inspired by Wizardry, Dungeons and Dragons, and Shadowgate. Mac version available on release

"In Paper Sorcerer you play a powerful sorcerer who is on the cusp of dominating the land until a group of heroes bands together and seals you away inside a magical book. Now you must escape from this prison while regaining your magical powers by defeating foes and summoning creatures to help you. The hand-drawn artwork creates this feeling of being literally trapped in a book with shadows and spooky places to explore.

Unlike other role-playing games with lots of random battles where you fight the same monsters over and over again to level up, all of the encounters in Paper Sorcerer are placed so that fights have an emphasis on strategy rather than experience points. Puzzles have more than one solution so you don’t have to figure out the correct and only way to, for example, open a locked treasure chest. Another neat feature is the ability to summon new members of your party as you progress through the game. You have the flexibility to change them to counter the foes you meet and you don’t have to worry about leveling them up. They also get new skills which makes them all useful no matter when you get access to them."

#40 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

AND... another Cthulhu Game,

Magrunner an interresting mix of Cthulhu Lore and Cyberpunk and 1stP Puzzler (Portal, anyone!?)
IT is NOT Mac (YET), and the game is mostly done but on last mile of the game they want to let the crowd decide
what should be added and multi platform is also an option, so we (Mac Users) could actually make it a Mac game if €200.000 are reached.

http://www.lab.games...l&mId=250581976
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

8 - iPhone SE, 16GB
7- iPad Pro 12.9", WiFi 128GB
6- MacMini 7,1: i5@2.6GHZ, 8GB, Intel Iris (5100)
5- iPad Air, 16Gb
4- MacBook Pro 8,1:  i5@2.3GHz, intel HD3000, 8GB RAM
3- iPad 2, 16GB
2- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB
1- MacBook 1,1, 1,83GHz, intel GMA950, 2GB RAM
-> The (nearly) ultimate intel HD 3000 gaming performance sheet <-