The Bard's Tale Returning to the Mac (sort of)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:17 PM

Bran Fargo just tweeted:

@BrianFargo: Good news for Mac owners...we'll be finalizing Bard's Tale OS X in the next week. This is the modern version that's in the IOS store now.

-PN
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.9.2
iPad 3 64GB WiFi/iPhone 4S 32GB

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7183 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:42 PM

Funny. I was thinking a while ago that a Mac port of that game would be relatively easy now that there is an iOS version. Guess I was right. I'm wondering whether the Mac version will also include the classic Bard's Tale games like the iOS version does.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 03 May 2012 - 02:42 PM, said:

Funny. I was thinking a while ago that a Mac port of that game would be relatively easy now that there is an iOS version. Guess I was right. I'm wondering whether the Mac version will also include the classic Bard's Tale games like the iOS version does.

I was wondering that myself. I sent a message to Brian Fargo but haven't received a response yet. Either way we won't have to wait long to find out.

-PN
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.9.2
iPad 3 64GB WiFi/iPhone 4S 32GB

#4 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1744 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:31 PM

Check his twitter, I'd assume someone's already asked about it there?

I'm replaying the modern version on my iPad and it's a lot of fun. I didn't think it would be fun because of the controls but I'm having a blast and it's not perfect for summoning but pretty darn close.

#5 cleansanchez

cleansanchez

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:08 AM

Well I loved the original Bards Tale so much on my trusty old Apple ][ series computers.... and now on iOS lol. Sounds a bit tongue in cheek too. Definitely going to get this one. I like a bit of humour with my games.

#6 Diablofett

Diablofett

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:45 PM

Snarky-Bardic-Goodness coming to the Mac? While this looks like a mere port of the PS2 version, I would imagine it may have higher resolutions at least. I would hope for higher resolution textures as well.

#7 choiceweb0pen0

choiceweb0pen0

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Steam Name:choiceweb0pen0

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

This game is quite fun though a bit buggy at times. I'm having some trouble though using a bow and arrow. I equip but can't seem to get it to launch arrows consistently. Anyone else have any trouble with this?

#8 Tibur

Tibur

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

Maybe.  I can't decide if it's buggy or if I'm just holding down the mouse button too long.  It seems like the mechanic is "pull bowstring" by holding the mouse button down and "launch arrow" when you release the button.  I find I have to shoot an arrow then run as the mob (rightly) comes after me after getting shot (as opposed to staying engaged with my summoned helper).

Personally, I'm finding the top down perspective to be the most annoying thing about the game.  It seems wrong to me that I'm constantly staring at the top of my head.  The "radar" on the map is helpful, I guess, but I find it harder to plan ahead when I can't really see what's beyond the edge of the screen as I move around.

#9 choiceweb0pen0

choiceweb0pen0

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

Thanks, that's what I was doing wrong, not holding the mouse/attach button long enough for the Bard to draw and fire an arrow.

#10 choiceweb0pen0

choiceweb0pen0

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

Also an update is now available. I hope it fixes some of the bugs, especially those that make me have to force quit the game when it locks up.

#11 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2321 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

How well does the game play? I was thinking about getting it (though I'll admit, I'm mostly interested in the classic games). :)

#12 Tibur

Tibur

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

Haven't run into any issues on my late 2006 iMac running Snow Leopard, though sometimes my dog companion is sort of ... rainbow-colored.  Not all that distracting since he's rather small anyway.  I haven't played much though (only on Chapter II, I think), so I can't speak to its performance all the way through.

#13 Gliniolu

Gliniolu

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:39 AM

I played it a bit a while ago, I believed it was on Mac but it seems it was on Windows. The price is ok but I remember had troubles with the controls... and the humor. The auto irony looked to me like fat humor or self depreciating mechanical humor. Well. :)