#181 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:43 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 05 September 2015 - 07:13 AM, said:

I pre-modded Oblivion so much, that when I went to actually play the game, I had no clue what was going on or what I was doing, as there were tons of waypoints and 'do this now!' going on. And none of it seemed connected. Plus I had bought the game when it came with a glob of DLC, which were even more things plunked down at the start which told me to go there, and had no basis on the main story (if there was even a main story). So I ended up tooling around in the game, then gave up. Unsure what the point was, other than a sandbox RPG that hit a roof pretty quickly.

Most of the DLC for Oblivion were really half-assed and very poorly integrated into the game.  If you bought the GOTY edition with all the DLC included, instead of giving you all of this new content to discover on your own, as soon as you started the game you were subjected to a flood of quest notifications announcing all of this stuff which a new character shouldn't have any idea about anyway.  Lazy developers.

In most RPGs, acquiring a castle to have as a personal home and fortress is a huge deal, involving a major quest line with many trials and tribulations along the way.  In Oblivion, you kill four bandits and someone hands you the deed (which they call "breaking a siege").  And don't expect there to be any quests or stories involving your new castle integrated into the game; you can buy a bunch of stuff to furnish it, and when you've bought it all, the "quest" is over.  Sigh.  So many missed opportunities.  Baldur's Gate 2 handled player fortresses brilliantly, as does Pillars of Eternity (though not quite as well, IMHO).  Bethesda is great at building interesting worlds, but terrible at filling them with meaningful content.  Thank the Nine for the modding community.  But then, as we've pointed out, modding the game eventually becomes the game.

I'm actually in the middle of an Oblivion playthrough right now.  I'm determined to finish it this time.
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#182 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4093 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:32 AM

Exactly! I was so lost, and it totally undervalued the whole idea of leveling up and growing as a character and exploring. I was dictated to GO HERE OMG!, and when I get there, there is this huge empty castle, with all kinds of awesome loot inside, and I'm like, well, gee, that was an underwhelming achievement... waaaat!

So yeah, maybe the thing with Oblivion is "dont install anything!" to play it to its normal ending, then add all the stuff that comes with it. Or was there even an option not to install all that? I don't recall, I think it just installed it all without asking.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#183 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 10:23 AM

I think the lesson here is that Bethesda should be in charge of building the world, then they should hand it over to Obsidian to write the story and fill it with content.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#184 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1100 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:46 PM

View Postclocknova, on 05 September 2015 - 07:18 AM, said:

Then you're going to want to keep an eye on OpenMW.  It's a modern, open sourced engine for the original Morrowind data files that's ultimately going to incorporate many of the features of the best mods and hacks from the original game.  They're actually almost ready for a 1.0 release, if you can believe it.  It seems projects like these are almost never finished, but this one looks like it will make it.  The current release is already fully playable from beginning to end.  I'm looking forward to the post-1.0 releases when they start incorporating things like distant terrain, fancy shaders, and more complex scripting (real NPC scheduling!).  I might finally finish Morrowind someday.

That looks very cool. It is awesome that it offers cross platform support. I didn't see the built .37 available to download yet but then I noted the other changes to visuals coming (soon?) so I'll just keep an eye on the site for update notes, etc. and try it later when I am ready to play the game again by which time it will be further along. Thanks for pointing that out. I had the original setup in Wineskin and in initial testing it was working fine but I didn't go any further with it at the time.

I didn't read all there was to read there but do you know if existing Morrowind mods are supported? That would rock if so as there are a few I really like including that housing one I mentioned. Plus I'd be lonesome with Jessica to keep me company. She can even go adventuring with you but unfortunately she has a tendency to get herself killed every time.  So I had her just keep the home fires burning.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#185 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:59 PM

A good portion are compatible, yes.  I've already installed textures, Better Bodies, Better Clothes, and a few others.  Anything that relies on external graphics or script extenders will not work, however.  But, as I said, most of that stuff is going to be incorporated into the engine post-1.0, anyway.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#186 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1100 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 05 September 2015 - 09:10 PM

View Postclocknova, on 05 September 2015 - 08:59 PM, said:

A good portion are compatible, yes.  I've already installed textures, Better Bodies, Better Clothes, and a few others.  Anything that relies on external graphics or script extenders will not work, however.  But, as I said, most of that stuff is going to be incorporated into the engine post-1.0, anyway.

Awesome. I am looking forward to this. I loved Morrowind so much. When I get back to it it's going to be great to play out the main quest and expansions not to mention do it in OS X natively with graphical enhancements. Sweet.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell