30 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8404 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:44 AM

Inside Mac Games has posted a new review of Deus Ex Human Revolution - Ultimate Edition, brought to Mac by Feral Interactive. Developed by Eidos Montreal and published by Square Enix for games consoles and Windows PC, Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a prequel to the classic Deus Ex.

Here's an excerpt:

The game has moments of brilliance when you figure out how to combine augmentations in useful ways. For example, if you have turret hacking and the strength upgrade, you can flip the switch on a turret, then pick it up and walk around with your own personal heavy duty machine gun. Have an SMG or assault rifle with the curving bullets upgrade? Turn on your x-ray vision to automatically target foes behind walls or cover without waiting for them to appear. Have the upgrades to breathe in gas or laugh at EMPs? Toss gas and EMP grenades with reckless abandon as you shrug it off harmlessly. Have the high jump, silent falling and cloak? Leap up to a high place, sneak into a window and knock out two guards just behind it.
Check out the full review at the link below.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

As an aside its supposed to be Gameplay: 9, Graphics: 8, currently its the other way around.

Also I had no idea this would be 5 pages. My longest review ever.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#3 Riko

Riko

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

View PostWumpus, on 30 April 2012 - 09:45 AM, said:

Also I had no idea this would be 5 pages. My longest review ever.

Maybe because it's a 'hell of a game' too.  ;)

Just busted my head on a computer hack, couldn't get it to work after multiple attempts, jumped off a roof to kill myself (in game) then, all stretched out on the concrete I figured out I just could buy one of those bypass thingies just around the corner.  :bleedingeyes:

As the game says: 'think out of the box'.

But what I really love the most is how it hooks back in every possible way and level to the original Deus EX, not the crap that was DX2.

Ah just one Q: shouldn't this edition have the music files as a bonus too?

Edited by Riko, 30 April 2012 - 11:56 AM.

#4 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

View PostRiko, on 30 April 2012 - 11:54 AM, said:

Ah just one Q: shouldn't this edition have the music files as a bonus too?

If it's any consolidation, the soundtrack included in the Augmented edition was a sampler, zo I ended up getting the complete one on Amazon anyway.

DX3 was one hell of a game...minus the awful boss fights (which they thankfully admitted to and fixed in the DLC) and, unfortunately, the ending. Without giving anything away, the plot gets a bit hokey and the choices you make do not include gameplay.

Still, terrific game.

#5 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

I thought this edition was supposed to have the music, PDF art book and some high rez trailer stuff. Not sure where it went, the manual/FAQ of the ultimate edition makes no mention of it.

Also I thought the soundtrack seemed a little short! The real one has 25 tracks, I only have 12.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)

#6 dokter_mac

dokter_mac

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:48 PM

View PostWumpus, on 30 April 2012 - 01:48 PM, said:

I thought this edition was supposed to have the music, PDF art book and some high rez trailer stuff. Not sure where it went, the manual/FAQ of the ultimate edition makes no mention of it.

Also I thought the soundtrack seemed a little short! The real one has 25 tracks, I only have 12.
It's al in there ;). Send me message and I'll tell you, but first try to look for it... The file is not THAT big because of the game :)

#7 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:52 PM

I already had it from the PC version so I had no need to look for it. That being said I did poke around the mac dmg/files and did not see it. Can't you just say where the extra stuff is? :P

#8 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1189 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

Deus Ex Human Revolution - Ultimate Edition

Posted Image

...its rare the publishers have the Mac logo despite a title's availability for Mac...

Nice.

OS X 10.9.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3520 2.66GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GTX680 2GB

#9 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1204 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:12 AM

View PostWumpus, on 30 April 2012 - 01:48 PM, said:

The ultimate edition extras are all in the Advanced tab in the pre game options panel.

It contains:

• The soundtrack (same as PC, it has some different tracks compared to the full soundtrack), the Mac version has iTunes metadata and Artwork.
  • Trailers and "Making Of" documentary (HD) with iTunes metadata and Artwork.
  • Animated Comic (SD) with iTunes metadata and Artwork.
  • Concept Artwork (HD PDF)

#10 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15701 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:36 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 30 April 2012 - 06:44 PM, said:

Posted Image

Look at all of those cool looking logos and then there is that insipid doofus looking happy face Mac.  No wonder we don't get any respect.  Apple should change it to a skull and crossbones covered with atomic spiders.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#11 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3013 posts
  • Steam ID:ThainEshKelch

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:38 AM

Or a picture of your arse.. Then we can go "Look at what we have to endure! We are so awesome!"
"They're everywhere!"

And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m.

#12 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:42 AM

View Postedddeduck, on 01 May 2012 - 07:12 AM, said:

The ultimate edition extras are all in the Advanced tab in the pre game options panel.

It contains:

• The soundtrack (same as PC, it has some different tracks compared to the full soundtrack), the Mac version has iTunes metadata and Artwork.
  • Trailers and "Making Of" documentary (HD) with iTunes metadata and Artwork.
  • Animated Comic (SD) with iTunes metadata and Artwork.
  • Concept Artwork (HD PDF)

Oops. I should have asked you before, my build of the game doesn't have those. I'll have to make an edit to the review!

#13 dokter_mac

dokter_mac

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:30 PM

View PostWumpus, on 30 April 2012 - 05:52 PM, said:

I already had it from the PC version so I had no need to look for it. That being said I did poke around the mac dmg/files and did not see it. Can't you just say where the extra stuff is? :P
No problem  :D

-Launch Deus Ex: Human Revolution
-The standard Feral launch window will open and it has a "Advanced" button
-There you will see "View Extra Content"
-Press that button and it all will appear to you  :happy:

Greetz.

#14 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1204 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

Hi All,

We have a patch out very soon for a few minor issues some users have reported.

- Fixes an audio track issue that was affecting the final video of the game
- Fixes an issue that was affecting the right-click function on trackpads
- Fixes a graphical error that occurred on some models in the AMD 4000 series of graphics cards
- Improves support for third-party mice, keyboards and graphics tablets

The HD3000 card is not OFFICIALLY supported however the game will run on minimum settings on the HD3000 without a problem. We have completed the game many times on the HD3000 just the performance is not quite good enough (same with the 320M) so instead of having people complaining and disappointed about the odd stutter and extended loading times on these cards we dropped them from the supported list. They will however run on these cards and for your average gamer you should have a very enjoyable experience taking into account the underpowered nature of those cards.

The high end cards like the 6000 series AMD the Mac performance should be pretty close to the PC (in some cases faster, in some slower). I find the FSAA/Filtering options in OpenGL tend to have more of a hit (both in performance and VRAM usage) compared to DX, same thing is true with resolution.

If you have a 27" iMac and have issues try disabling FSAA as it makes little if any difference visually if you are playing at native resolution, the other option would be to have FSAA on but drop your resolution to 720p. Either of these are not visually noticeable and should give you a major boost in performance.

I monitor macrumors for any big issues but if you have a bug please just drop our support an email, Gerard or one of the support team will have a look into your issue. Support answers at Feral are not cut/paste from a spreadsheet, granted some solutions will be cut paste to save us from carpel tunnel but the person pasting usually wrote the answer in the first place. :) If you have something strange it gets investigated throughly by the technical people who made the game on the Mac.

We really care about making great "Mac games" not "Games that run on a Mac" so let us know via support or Facebook if you have feedback.

If you are looking the Extra Trailers, Documentary, Music etc it can be found in the Advanced Tab in the pre-game Options panel. They have been formatted for the Mac with full metadata, album art etc. They are all in iOS compatible formats so will sync to your iPad or iPhone. The Mac version has all the DLC and pre order bonus extras pre installed, this all in one version is Mac exclusive (for now).

Thanks for all the feedback good and bad,

Edwin

#15 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3206 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:13 PM

About resolutions on a 27 inch iMc. There are 16:9 resolutions between 720p and 1440p you know? ;)

1920x1080
1600x900
1360x768

You can always try one of those tweener resolutions and see which one works best for what is acceptable for you. I tend to go for either the first two before I ever lower it any further with mostly good results. For quite a few newer games I've been using 1600x900 quite a bit. Point is you aren't just stuck to TV standards. Speaking of which I actually run the PC I have hooked up to my TV at 1360x768 which is the native resolution of that screen.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#16 dokter_mac

dokter_mac

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

View Postedddeduck, on 02 May 2012 - 10:58 AM, said:

If you are looking the Extra Trailers, Documentary, Music etc it can be found in the Advanced Tab in the pre-game Options panel. They have been formatted for the Mac with full metadata, album art etc. They are all in iOS compatible formats so will sync to your iPad or iPhone. The Mac version has all the DLC and pre order bonus extras pre installed, this all in one version is Mac exclusive (for now).

Thanks for all the feedback good and bad,

Edwin
As I posted just in time ;-). Thanks for he iOS feedback!

I'm glad Feral is keeping an eye on most sites involving their releases. Like on MacUpdate for instance...

Any idea in which fase the update is because I'm having such a card? Is it still in alfa, beta or reported on several sites with a fix in mind ready to release in the test group? BTW: Thanks for keeping the quality so high! Too bad from that glich... Is there nonody with such a card in the test group or in the developers group involved in writing the code for the Mac?

Sincerely.

#17 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1204 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:23 AM

View Postdokter_mac, on 02 May 2012 - 04:37 PM, said:

As I posted just in time ;-). Thanks for he iOS feedback!

I'm glad Feral is keeping an eye on most sites involving their releases. Like on MacUpdate for instance...

Any idea in which fase the update is because I'm having such a card? Is it still in alfa, beta or reported on several sites with a fix in mind ready to release in the test group? BTW: Thanks for keeping the quality so high! Too bad from that glich... Is there nonody with such a card in the test group or in the developers group involved in writing the code for the Mac?

Sincerely.

The patch should be out today or tomorrow, we have tested the problems reported by customers and all of them are fixed in the 1.0.1 patch.
The graphics issue was not on all 4000 cards but a subset of them. We have applied the fix in the patch and we have tested it on effected machines.

Edwin

#18 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1204 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:17 AM

The 1.0.1 Patch is live for all Digital customers apart from the AppStore.

AppStore patch has been submitted and will go live once it has been approved by Apple.

The patch fixes the following reported problems.

- Fixes a graphical error that occurred on some models in the AMD 4000 series
of graphics cards

#19 dokter_mac

dokter_mac

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:29 PM

View Postedddeduck, on 03 May 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

The 1.0.1 Patch is live for all Digital customers apart from the AppStore.

AppStore patch has been submitted and will go live once it has been approved by Apple.

The patch fixes the following reported problems.

- Fixes a graphical error that occurred on some models in the AMD 4000 series
of graphics cards
Thank you very much for the updates, the feedback and the patch, here in this thread and the website(s).

Sincerely, Iwan.

#20 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3206 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:28 PM

Is that patch going to be rolled into the physical copies when they ship or where they already pressed before the patch?
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7