#1 jeannot

jeannot

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

Hi,

The Mac AppStore found and update for Bioshock. Since it would insist on downloading the whole game, I asked Feral about a delta update.

The reply surprised me. I was told to use the Apple Software update, which "should find updates for this game" ( :blink:  yes, the one in the Apple menu) or to use the latest patch from the support site.
Or course, Software Update detected no update for Bioshock. And as I feared, the patch I downloaded from Feral asked me for a registration key, which I don't have.

So I guess I'll just have to download the whole game again.  :cool: ...except Feral provides a workaround.

It seems that the person who reply to me didn't know much about Apple Software Update or the App Store. But I wouldn't blame him as and Feral has excellent customer support in general.

#2 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:14 PM

If you own Bioshock, why would you not have a serial key?
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#3 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3186 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:25 PM

My copy didn't come with one because it was made before Feral started doing that. So I had to have the DVD in the drive in order to authenticate and get one from them. So yes, it's possible to own it and not have a serial key.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#4 jeannot

jeannot

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:49 AM

Apps from the App Store don't come with serial keys. (that's also why I prefer the app store. No need to bother with serials and your license applies to all Macs you own).

#5 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:20 AM

They added delta updates to the Mac App Store a while ago anyway.

--Eric

#6 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7105 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:46 AM

View PostEric5h5, on 30 April 2012 - 04:20 AM, said:

They added delta updates to the Mac App Store a while ago anyway.
But only on Lion, as far as I know. On Snow Leopard, you still have to redownload the whole app.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#7 bismilah

bismilah

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

AFAIK, all games from Feral on the MAS use a serial key for licensing and you have 5 attempts (or 5 computers), but maybe I'm confused with MGS

Some older boxed version like The Movies have a serial key in the manual, but pretty much useless since it's a DVD check

#8 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1196 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:07 AM

View Postbismilah, on 30 April 2012 - 08:44 AM, said:

AFAIK, all games from Feral on the MAS use a serial key for licensing and you have 5 attempts (or 5 computers), but maybe I'm confused with MGS

Some older boxed version like The Movies have a serial key in the manual, but pretty much useless since it's a DVD check

Older DVD Users will be automatically given a serial code when they upgrade to the new version from their original DVD version. This is via build in a delta update.
Digital users already have a serial code and the game will automatically offer you a delta update.
Mac AppStore users have no serial codes (thats the AppStore rules) and you get the update from inside the AppStore. The update is NOT a delta update and will be a few GB in size.

Delta updates are not yet working on the AppStore for all applications (some work, ours don't), we don't know why but we are working on it and contacting Apple. I can't update you to much more right now on delta updates but rest assured we are working on it and have been for a while now. :)

Edwin

#9 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones
  • Steam ID:Meriones

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:25 PM

View Postedddeduck, on 01 May 2012 - 09:07 AM, said:

Older DVD Users will be automatically given a serial code when they upgrade to the new version from their original DVD version. This is via build in a delta update.
Digital users already have a serial code and the game will automatically offer you a delta update.
Mac AppStore users have no serial codes (thats the AppStore rules) and you get the update from inside the AppStore. The update is NOT a delta update and will be a few GB in size.

Delta updates are not yet working on the AppStore for all applications (some work, ours don't), we don't know why but we are working on it and contacting Apple. I can't update you to much more right now on delta updates but rest assured we are working on it and have been for a while now. :)

Edwin
So, in other words, why would someone buy from MAS when it will just work with Feral?

Lib. ;)

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 8GB RAM | 10.8.2 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#10 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1196 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:40 AM

View PostThe Liberator, on 01 May 2012 - 04:25 PM, said:

So, in other words, why would someone buy from MAS when it will just work with Feral?

Lib. ;)

Hey just warning people with low bandwidth. :) I am sure the Apple system will start working but as of right now you will use up a bit more bandwidth with an Apple AppStore release.

Edwin

#11 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones
  • Steam ID:Meriones

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:13 AM

View Postedddeduck, on 02 May 2012 - 02:40 AM, said:

Hey just warning people with low bandwidth. :) I am sure the Apple system will start working but as of right now you will use up a bit more bandwidth with an Apple AppStore release.

Edwin
Well, from what I have seen, in this case at least, the MAS is bringing nothing to the table that Feral already couldn't, and if Steam was selling Feral games, again MAS has nothing that has not already been provided.

Lib.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 8GB RAM | 10.8.2 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#12 ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data

Positronic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:21 AM

View Postedddeduck, on 01 May 2012 - 09:07 AM, said:

Edwin
I was just wondering if Janichsan is right that even when working, delta updates are only for Lion and not Snow Leopard?

#13 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1196 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:33 AM

View Postltcommander.data, on 02 May 2012 - 07:21 AM, said:

I was just wondering if Janichsan is right that even when working, delta updates are only for Lion and not Snow Leopard?

They are "Lion only" but even in Lion they don't work on all applications. Sadly ours are one of the ones that don't.

Edwin