17 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8096 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:44 AM

Macgamestore.com recently added DQ Team's War in a Box: Paper Tanks to its growing list of titles available for download and purchase. The tower defense title puts players in charge of paper towers, which they must place wisely to defend against hordes of paper tanks, armored cars, airplanes, and even zeppelins.

Finally the war of paper tanks comes into your room! How long can you hold the defences against paper tanks. Build your towers of paper before they get out of the box and make a big mess in the room. Manage the turrets, upgrade and be careful where you put them... every decision can be fatal! Watch out for the air units, they have a different route! Amazing gameplay with incredible number of levels. Simple yet hugely addictive game.

Features:
  • True 3D game, not sprites!
  • Zoom down to ground level.
  • Enter a turret and watch how it shoots and destroys the enemy units: armored cars, tanks, airplanes and zeppelins.
  • Normal & Expert Mode
  • 1x 2x 3x Game Speed
War in a Box: Paper Tanks is available now for $6.99 (USD).
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 dorkhero

dorkhero

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

I am frakking SICK of 'tower defense' games. Seriously! These things are the gaming equivalent of a Michael Bay movie!  :bleedingeyes:

(This is NOT meant to be a compliment.) The world does NOT need another Tower Defense game.  :angry:

#3 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:57 PM

But...what about the game I'm making, where you set up towers to defend against an endless onslaught of tower defense games?

--Eric

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15598 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:23 AM

You can call it "Hordes of Dorks".
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1427 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

I'm a little sick of them myself. I just reviewed Dungeon Defenders but was surprisingly "meh" about the game, even though its good. Found it hard to get into.

Conversely there's a few very good TD mods for Starcraft 2 that I enjoy a lot, most of them are multiplayer as well which makes it fun.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#6 Frost

Frost

PowerPC Inside

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4920 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

Tower defense games are a strange lot. For me, I hate almost all of them, but every now and then there's one that's done in a way that appeals to me and I really enjoy, and those I end up playing obsessively at least for a time. But those aren't common... as in, two games in the last decade not common.
Cypher (PowerMac G5 Quad) – 2x2.5 GHz PPC 970MP / 16GB ECC RAM / 1TB WDC Velociraptor, 2TB STX Constellation ES.2 / QuadroFX 4500 512MB
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.2 GHz Ci7 4770K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Crucial M550 M.2, 3TB STX Barracuda / GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB
Chromium (MacBook Pro Early 2008) – 2.6 GHz C2D T9500 / 4GB RAM / 960GB Crucial M500 / GeForce 8600M GT 512MB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 Titanium) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 480GB OWC Mercury Legacy Pro / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#7 Kilvain

Kilvain

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 186 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

Hey, look at it this way, at least it's not a dreaded match-3 or hidden object game!  :P

#8 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:32 PM

But...what about the other game I'm making, where you have to match three hidden tower defense games?

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 14 April 2012 - 09:23 AM, said:

You can call it "Hordes of Dorks".
Well, no, that title is already taken for my game where you are attacked by waves of tBC clones.

--Eric

#9 Kilvain

Kilvain

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 186 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

That would be great. Combine all the most hated game styles into one massive casual monster game to rule them all!

#10 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15598 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

Well then my clones would have to be zombies, and it would be a time management tower defense game where you'd have to match 3 clones.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#11 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:52 PM

Work "hidden object" in there somehow, and you'd be a guaranteed millionaire*!  

--Eric

*Currency may be in yen.

#12 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15598 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:22 AM

View PostEric5h5, on 15 April 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

Work "hidden object" in there somehow, and you'd be a guaranteed millionaire*!  

--Eric

*Currency may be in yen.
Actually after listening to an old IMG podcast yesterday I came back here to the forums with the express intent of doing just that!

My clones would have to be zombies, and it would be a time management hidden object tower defense game where you'd have to match 3 clones.   The time management part is fairly easy, you fail if you don't find in time 3 hidden matching zombies for your towers to defend against.  It can be called "Find the Matching Horde of Dorks Tower Mania".  You could probably work in an in-game version of Super Turbo Turkey Mahjong.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#13 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7001 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 16 April 2012 - 08:22 AM, said:

"Find the Matching Horde of Dorks Tower Mania Tycoon Quest".
Fixed.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#14 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15598 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

This is going to be huge.  HUGE!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#15 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1427 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

I smell investments. This is clearly the Next Big Thing.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)

#16 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15598 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:17 PM

I might have found the sweet spot... "The Sims: Finding the Matching Horde of Dorks Tower Mania Tycoon Quest"
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#17 dorkhero

dorkhero

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:26 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 16 April 2012 - 06:17 PM, said:

I might have found the sweet spot... "The Sims: Finding the Matching Horde of Dorks Tower Mania Tycoon Quest"

Ok. That I just might buy.  :P

#18 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1427 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

View Postdorkhero, on 16 April 2012 - 07:26 PM, said:

Ok. That I just might buy.  :P
I'm totally going to do a kickstarter for this concept. I wonder how many people would actually chip in to see it happen?