3 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8470 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:15 AM

In just 28 hours Harebrained Schemes LLC's Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter campaign reached its funding goal of $400,000, and quickly went on to surpass the $425,000 target necessary for the development of a Mac version. The role playing game will return players to the Shadowrun universe which features a mixture of cyberpunk tech and high fantasy magic. Shadowrun Returns wil be a 2D turn-based single player game which will include "deep story interaction, meaningful character development, and highly-contextual tactical combat."

Jordan Weisman, the creator of Shadowrun, is back and Shadowrun Returns is the game that Shadowrun fans have been waiting for a long time. A graphically rich 2D turn-based single player game with deep story interaction, meaningful character development, and highly-contextual tactical combat, Shadowrun Returns is not only going to make some old geeks (like us) very happy but it will introduce new players to a dynamic gaming universe that is beloved around the world.

Created almost 25 years ago, Shadowrun remains one of the most original and cherished role-playing settings. The game world’s origin story mashes-up the dystopian Cyberpunk future of a Blade Runner with the high fantasy creatures and races of a Lords of the Rings in an organic way that produces iconic characters, environments, and situations.

Here's how it works:

According to the Mayan Calendar (and lots of tabloids), the world will end on December 21, 2012. It’s part a 5,200 year cycle of death and rebirth that, in Shadowrun, actually charts the ebb and flow of magic from the Earth. So, on 12/21/12 magic will return, end this world, and wreak holy havoc while starting the next. Aboriginal cultures, who maintained their mystical traditions, are the first to feel the return of magic and use their newfound power to reshape the political, financial, and physical world around them. As the magic increases, Elf and Dwarf babies are born to very surprised parents who carry the right combination of long-dormant genes. But all of these events pale in comparison to the horror of "goblinization", which painfully reshapes the teenage bodies of those unlucky enough to carry dominant Ork or Troll genes. And then the first Great Dragon rises from its 5,200 yearlong hibernation and circles over Tokyo, signaling that the world has truly AWAKENED.

Fast forward two generations, to a world transformed not only by the growth of magic but by the acceleration of cyber technology—a continual effort to improve upon the gifts that nature gave humanity; by the inevitable maturation of the World Wide Web into the Matrix—a network directly accessible by the human brain; and by the near elimination of governments as they are replaced megacorporations—monolithic entities who see only customers, not citizens.

And moving through the dark shadows cast by the gleaming towers of the corps, are Shadowrunners – disposable assets and corporate pawns scratching out a living using a combination of technology, magic, and street smarts. Shadowrunners live between the cracks and operate outside the law, doing the dirty work that corporate wage-slaves won’t soil their hands with and occasionally acting as the only protection the citizenry can turn to.

Welcome to the world of Shadowrun, where man meets magic and machine.
Head over to the page below to learn more about the project.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

I like the setting very much so will be interesting to see what they produce. Glad there was enough support to warrant a Mac version already and it's a nice trend that provided a developer has enough funds they're keen to add Mac support :) Have gone for the cheap support level as Feral are robbing me with their excellent ports ;)

#3 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3038 posts
  • Steam ID:ThainEshKelch

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

Shadowrun for SNES was awesome. Absolutely awesome.

Dragons, vampires, hookers and cybernetic implantants? Yes, that awesome.
"They're everywhere!"

And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m.

#4 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

Think I'll support this, I'm not familiar with Shadowrun beyond the 2007 game which seemed crappy and I never played it. The videos and presentation are really good on this, and I find myself intrigued and wanting to donate because of it.

I think kickstarter projects will rise or fall depending on how good they present things. Takedown nearly died because of a poor first impression, and they saved themselves by redoing it much better.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive