52 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8431 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:15 AM

CD Projekt has announced the release of The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut for Macs. Based on the writings of Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski, the fantasy RPG follows the exploits of The Witcher, a monster slayer known as Geralt. Players must make difficult decisions as they struggle against forces bent on taking control of the world.

ABOUT THE WITCHER: ENHANCED EDITION
The RPG of the Year is back - in a Premium Edition packed with powerful extras! Assume the role of The Witcher, Geralt, a legendary monster slayer caught in a web of intrigue as he battles forces vying for control of the world! Make difficult decisions and live with the consequences in a game that will immerse you in an extraordinary tale like no other!

Representing the pinnacle of storytelling in role-playing games, The Witcher shatters the line between good and evil in a world where moral ambiguity reigns. The Witcher emphasizes story and character development in a vibrant world while incorporating tactically-deep real-time combat like no game before it.

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition takes all of the acclaimed gameplay that garnered the original game more than 90 awards, and perfects it with a number of gameplay and technical improvements.
  • Superior dialogue and cutscenes - The developers have re-recorded and rewritten more than 5000 lines of dialogue in English and redone the entire German edition to create more a more consistent experience, while adding more than 200 gesture animations to make characters behave more believably in dialogue and cutscenes.
  • Enhanced inventory - The new inventory system makes item use and organization less complicated by introducing a separate sack for any alchemical ingredients, as well as a simple sort-and-stack function. Spend less time managing your inventory and more time playing the game.
  • Technical improvements - The enhancements made to the technical side of the game are too numerous to list, but a few of the highlights include greatly reduced loading times, greater stability, improved combat responsiveness, faster inventory loading, the option to turn autosave on or off, and more.
  • Character differentiation system - To add more variety to NPC and monster appearances, we've added a new character differentiation system that randomizes the appearance and colors of dozens of in-game models.
  • The Package - The Witcher: Enhanced Edition is more than just a better version of last year's RPG of the Year. The premium packaging would usually infer some sort of Collector's Edition... but at the price of a regular game, it's simply a great value. In your download you'll also get: Multilingual game disc, D'jinni Adventure Editor, Two new adventures offering 5+ hours of gameplay, Official Soundtrack, Music Inspired by The Witcher album, Making-of videos, Official game guide, Map of The Witcher's world
Key features:
    Geralt of Rivia: a one-of-a-kind protagonist
    • A charismatic and unique character, Geralt is a mutant swordmaster and professional monster slayer.
    • Choose from over 250 special abilities correlated to attributes, combat skills and magical powers to build the character in a way best suited to tactical needs and style of play.
  • Original fantasy world drawn from literature
    • Inspired by the writings of renowned Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski.
    • Featuring adult themes, less fairy-tale than typical fantasy, with mature social issues like racism, political intrigue and genocide.
    • It is a harsh world where nothing is black or white, right or wrong, often forcing players to choose between the lesser of two evils to advance.
  • Non-linear and captivating storyline
    • Full of turns, twists and ambiguous moral decisions which have real impact on the storyline.
    • All quests can be accomplished in several ways and the game has three different endings depending on the player's actions and choices throughout the adventure.
  • Visually stunning tactical action
    • Engage in complex yet intuitive real-time combat based on real medieval sword-fighting techniques.
    • Motion capture performed by medieval fighting experts at Frankfurt's renowned Metric.
    • Motion capture performed by medieval fighting experts at Frankfurt's renowned Metric Minds studio, resulting in 600 spectacular and authentic in-game combat animations.
    • Six combat styles, dozens of potions, complex alchemy system, modifiable weapons and powerful magic add tactical depth to the fluid real-time experience.
Mac System Requirements:
    Minimum:
      Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo (any)
      Memory: 2GB RAM
      Graphics: Graphics card nVidia GeForce 320M (or better), AMD Radeon HD 6750M (or better) or Intel HD Graphics 3000
      Hard Drive: 10.5 GB free space on HDD
    Recommended:
      Processor: Inel Core i5 or Core i7 (any)
      Memory: 4GB RAM
      Graphics: Graphics card with at least 512 MB VRAM
      Hard Drive: 10.5 GB free space on HDD
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition for Macs is currently available exclusively on Steam for $9.99.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:23 AM

Uh is this a joke?

Completely out of left field, Steamplay, and for $10? Are you kidding me???

-PN
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.9.2
iPad 3 64GB WiFi/iPhone 4S 32GB

#3 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:47 AM

It was "ported" quickly (and probably cheaply) using Wineskin, sort of the open-sourced version of Cider.  Here are some things I've noticed about it that I posted this morning in a related thread:

I bought the PC version on Steam a while back, then picked up the GOG version as well for the no-DRM, but I could never get it to work just right in Wineskin; there were always a few issues that I couldn't get around. This new version may just be a "wrapped" one, but at least it's officially supported so everything should work just right. After all, performance wasn't an issue; I got great framerates before, just too many graphical glitches to play it.

This is great news. Now, if I only had time to play it right now.

EDIT:
Hmmmm. No graphical glitches, obviously, but I got better performance with my old Wineskin version.  Which is odd since this version uses Wineskin. They've removed the Wineskin config app from the app bundle, so I installed a Wineskin config app from a blank Wineskin wrapper and it seems to work just fine

The Witcher: Mac Edition is using an older version of the Wineskin engine (WS8 1.3.7), so I swapped out the 1.3.7 engine with the very latest 1.5 engine and performance has improved SIGNIFICANTLY. I mean it. And there are still no glitches, so whatever they did to fix those errors it wasn't by customizing a Wineskin engine. It's something else in the wrapper or the game files themselves. I don't know why they used such an old engine, but I'd be surprised if they spend much time keeping it updated. Fortunately, it's easy enough to do myself, though I don't expect this kind of tinkering is for everyone.

And here's some good news: You can launch the app bundle directly without Steam. Just move it from the steamapps folder to wherever you want. Nice.

Long story short: if you know how to use Wineskin, then copy the Wineskin config app from an empty wrapper into The Witcher's app bundle, launch it, then change the engine to the latest version (make sure you have the latest version downloaded and installed using Wineskin Winery first.) Or you can copy the new engine in manually, but I much prefer to use the config app
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#4 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

No Joke :P And its not completely out of left field...but I guess you wouldn't know that unless you listen to the MacGameCast because we found out it was coming about a month ago.

I am surprised by the $10 price point. Last I looked on Steam the game was $20, so its come down, but I did look awhile ago. I think that's amazing for how big and deep an RPG this is. :)

*edit*

Interesting post Clocknova. I didn't play long, but didn't have any performance issues either. Still I might want to swap out the updated version of Wineskin. I don't know how to use it though as I never have :P
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#5 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

View PostWumpus, on 06 April 2012 - 09:50 AM, said:

No Joke :P And its not completely out of left field...but I guess you wouldn't know that unless you listen to the MacGameCast because we found out it was coming about a month ago.

I am surprised by the $10 price point. Last I looked on Steam the game was $20, so its come down, but I did look awhile ago. I think that's amazing for how big and deep an RPG this is. :)

Ahh ok. Actually I have listened to the MacGameCast before. Just not that one apparently. I need to make sure I don't miss an episode! Posted Image

-PN
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.9.2

#6 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7161 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

Feeling... enthusiasm... waning... :glare:

So instead of doing a proper native port, they took the lazy-ass way and simply slapped some wrapper on it and then actually dare to sell this as a commercial product?

I'll pass.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#7 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:36 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 06 April 2012 - 11:01 AM, said:

So instead of doing a proper native port, they took the lazy-ass way and simply slapped some wrapper on it and then actually dare to sell this as a commercial product?

I'll pass.

Wrappers for older games are fine, and a native port is no guarantee it will be "proper." (c.f Ubisoft's ports.)

#8 Diablofett

Diablofett

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

So this is a Winewrapper and not an actual port, eh? I agree with a few other people on this thread, I will pass on this one because they were too lazy to do an actual port.

#9 ArkhamNative

ArkhamNative

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:07 PM

Wow, this one snuck up on me. Awesome.

So what if it's a cider/wine port?  It means the developer made a decision to port to (and support) Mac OS gaming.  I'll support that.

Plus it's only $10, and we've had a part in pushing it to #4 top RPG seller, and #1 Mac seller, on Steam atm. (Even without it showing up as a "new release".)

#10 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 06 April 2012 - 11:01 AM, said:

I'll pass.

View PostDiablofett, on 06 April 2012 - 11:39 AM, said:

So this is a Winewrapper and not an actual port, eh? I agree with a few other people on this thread, I will pass on this one because they were too lazy to do an actual port.

I can't believe you'd skip an extremely well done, unique RPG just because of how the developers ported it. I'd understand if it was in fact, a crappy port that didn't work or had poor performance. As it stands the game is neither, and runs great on my laptop and my iMac.

If you like RPG's or know *anything* about the Witcher world/books/game then you should get this. $10 isn't much to ask, and you won't be disappointed.

The only reason I hate on wrapped games is if they have terrible performance and crashes (i.e, Ubisofts Prince of Persia) The whole "dare sell this as a commercial product" thing is a ridiculous line of thought. Under that classification everything Transgaming does is a  travesty :P Granted a lot of stuff they did early on was poor, but in the last year Cider's performance has been amazing. I can run Skyrim for fraks sake on max settings and never a drop in framerate, and that's an unofficial port. My line of thought is, why the heck *aren't* they selling this as a commercial product?

Other people have pointed out that the game has been ported by users, but had texture issues and other problems which are not present in the official port of the game. I think that' counts for something. And sure, a "native" port of the game would have been nice, but given the game runs just fine in wineskin, why spend all the extra time and money? Its a 5 year old game for $10. Much worse games sell for more than that.

If I come off strong or harsh here its because I'm a big fan of The Witcher games (and books/world) and I don't think people should skip it because of perceived inadequacy on the porting job when they don't exist.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)

#11 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

Well, my feelings are mixed.  On the one hand, I (and many others) have been trying for years to get this game to work properly in a Wineskin wrapper, but no one got it working completely.  There were always glitches are errors that kept it from being 100%.  This official wrapper works 100%.  They knew what to fix and they did it.

On the other hand, this game was released the same year I bought my Mac, and a native version would run like silk, as it does when I run it with Bootcamp.  This wrapped version, even with the engine change, runs just "ok."

So, if they had taken the time and resources to port it, it would likely have run a lot better, but it certainly would not be $10, and "free" to those of us who already own the Windows versions.

Maybe this could end up like X3; they could do a native port "upgrade" in a year or two.  Doubtful, but it would be nice.  This is a great game and I, for one, would pay for the upgrade.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#12 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7161 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

View PostWumpus, on 06 April 2012 - 02:41 PM, said:

Under that classification everything Transgaming does is a  travesty
That's exactly what I think of Transgaming.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#13 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

View Postclocknova, on 06 April 2012 - 02:43 PM, said:

Well, my feelings are mixed.  On the one hand, I (and many others) have been trying for years to get this game to work properly in a Wineskin wrapper, but no one got it working completely.  There were always glitches are errors that kept it from being 100%.  This official wrapper works 100%.  They knew what to fix and they did it.

On the other hand, this game was released the same year I bought my Mac, and a native version would run like silk, as it does when I run it with Bootcamp.  This wrapped version, even with the engine change, runs just "ok."

So, if they had taken the time and resources to port it, it would likely have run a lot better, but it certainly would not be $10, and "free" to those of us who already own the Windows versions.

Maybe this could end up like X3; they could do a native port "upgrade" in a year or two.  Doubtful, but it would be nice.  This is a great game and I, for one, would pay for the upgrade.

Thanks to WINE (Crossover & Wineskin) I got many of my old favourite games back working on Lion when the PowerPC and OS 9 versions were long since abandoned. I also got to play some classic games that were never released for the Mac. It really is a very clever and impressive software project.

I bought The Witcher on GOG a year or so ago but always had graphical glitches in Wineskin despite efforts to fix them. This official version works well and as clocknova found you can upgrade the Wine engine and keep the fixes they made :)

A full native port with all the extra options that allows will always be preferable for the latest games (although it can be surprising how well some of the latest titles work) but for older titles on modern hardware WINE will often get the job done and if developers dip their toes into the Mac OS X market with Wine and find they get good sales figures they will be more likely to consider the Mac when developing their latest titles.

Also remember that the method of porting is not a guarantee of quality - I have had some native ports that are buggy or break after a minor OS X update. It is just the same as anything else - some companies beta products are more reliable than others version 1.0....

#14 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

I'm not really sure why anybody would have a problem with this. At least in this case.

It looks like they did this themselves rather than hand it over to Transgaming. They obviously took the time to presumably make certain it works where other amateur porters have been unable to do for years. Then they put it up on Steam as a Steamplay title for ten bucks instead of selling it for full price.

By all accounts thus far (and yes I know it's early) it runs fine. So now we have one of the most critically acclaimed RPGs ever on the Mac that you can purchase for almost nothing and play with no extra effort. Or you might even get it for free if you had already purchased the Windows version on Steam.

It seems to me this is the developers attempt to gauge the Mac market. I just don't see a problem here.

-PN

#15 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

Agreed.  As much as I would have preferred a native port, if this increases the chances of a true, native port of The WItcher 2, and any further games, I'm all for it.  Of course, since I already bought The Witcher on Steam and again on GOG, the won;t be getting an more money from me, but hopefully enough new gamers come on board to give them the incentive to continue.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#16 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:57 PM

That's part of the issue,  I've had this on PC via Steam for awhile so Steamplay enabled me to just download it. I wonder if they have some kind of way to track how many people download it for Mac who already owned it on PC. If I didn't have it already, I'd but it for $10 in a heartbeat.

#17 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3231 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

View PostCougar, on 06 April 2012 - 11:36 AM, said:

Wrappers for older games are fine, and a native port is no guarantee it will be "proper." (c.f Ubisoft's ports.)
I agree that sometimes even truly native ports don't have much advantage when it comes to features, performance or stability. However Ubisoft's Asassin's Creed ports had some of the best multichannel surround sound support this side of Feral's latest ports. The rest like Splinter Cell Conviction I would totally agree though... that one's running like utter garbage on my iMac even with the settings turned down.

Anyway, I have wrapped a bunch of games but I don't consider myself a porter.... amateur or otherwise. Why? Well because I'm a non-coder and I did not touch a line of code and I can't code my way out of a wet paper bag. Most wrapping "amateurs" do consist of installing this and that software and tweaking settings. It's more like installing than porting... I call it wrapping. Presumably though the person or people in CD Project who wrapped this game did some tweaks to the source code of various things like DirectX or whatever to get any glitches out of the way though. The source code to WINE is freely available after all.

BTW, what determins how good a wrapper is for a game is more than just the age of the game. So some older games actually run terrible wrapped and some newer games run great wrapped. It all depends on their tech and how it's implemented. Like for example.... the lens flares in the older Serious Sam games caused massive frame rate drops when run in any wrapper but the lens flares in the newer Serious Engine 3 HD remakes don't.

BTW, I haven't had any luck yet changing the WINE engine on this Witcher wrapper. It's like it's running on a different wineskin wrapper revision than what I have installed and it hangs when I try to change out the WINE engine and it hoses the wrapper. I backed it up before modifying it though so I can try again.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#18 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1739 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

View PostTacohead, on 06 April 2012 - 04:15 PM, said:

They obviously took the time to presumably make certain it works where other amateur porters have been unable to do for years.

http://portingteam.c...hanced-edition/ - Submitted: Oct 10 2010

Nuff Said...

#19 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1191 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:32 AM

They Published and I purchased... for Mac. :)
OS X 10.10.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3520 2.66GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GTX680 2GB

#20 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7161 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:47 AM

View Postclocknova, on 06 April 2012 - 04:45 PM, said:

As much as I would have preferred a native port, if this increases the chances of a true, native port of The WItcher 2, and any further games, I'm all for it.
More likely than not, buying this pseudo-port will do nothing than encouraging this kind of crap. "Hey, look! We only have to use some else's freeware Wine wrapper, slap it on our software and desperate Mac gamers still buy it. Minimal effort, maximum profit for us! Yay!" The Witcher 2 also runs well in Wine, so if anything, you will again only get the thinly disguised Windows version.