#1 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3006 posts
  • Steam ID:ThainEshKelch

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:29 AM

GOG.com - Have anyone seen a good wrapper of some sort?
"They're everywhere!"

And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m.

#2 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:02 AM

Installs fine directly with Wineskin or you can use this one although it's made for the Steam version: http://portingteam.c...7252-fallout-1/

#3 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

Would be more interested if this was Fallout 2. The first game was fun, but too short for me. I liked F2 better.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#4 rampancy

rampancy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

Fallout also works great on CX11; thanks to WINE 1.4, most of the crippling bugs that made it unplayable in the past have been fixed, apparently.

For anyone grabbing Fallout 1, here are some essential patches to help enhance your experience:

Fallout 1.2 semi-unofficial patch and 1.3.5 unofficial patch - various bug fixes and changes that remained unresolved from the last official patch.

Hi-Res Patch 3.06 - allows for playing the game at resolutions above the original 640 x 480, including widescreen resolutions. A warning - bumping the color resolution to 16/32-bit resulted in massive slowdowns for me.
Mac friendly and open-source games at GOG (Updated semi-regularly.)

#5 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

View Postrampancy, on 07 April 2012 - 09:51 AM, said:

Fallout also works great on CX11; thanks to WINE 1.4, most of the crippling bugs that made it unplayable in the past have been fixed, apparently.

For anyone grabbing Fallout 1, here are some essential patches to help enhance your experience:

Fallout 1.2 semi-unofficial patch and 1.3.5 unofficial patch - various bug fixes and changes that remained unresolved from the last official patch.

Hi-Res Patch 3.06 - allows for playing the game at resolutions above the original 640 x 480, including widescreen resolutions. A warning - bumping the color resolution to 16/32-bit resulted in massive slowdowns for me.

How do you install the hi-res patch? I'm using CG 10.1.2 and Fallout from GOG was easy to install and runs flawlessly but it's in a tiny 640x480 window. I'd like it to run in a larger window, which I'm assuming the hi-res patch would allow, but I can't seem to do anything with the hi-res executable in CG 10.1.2 or WINE. Any suggestions?

-PN

P.S  In fullscreen mode in CG 10.1.2 Fallout runs like a dog.
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.9.2
iPad 3 64GB WiFi/iPhone 4S 32GB

#6 rampancy

rampancy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:28 PM

View PostTacohead, on 07 April 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:

How do you install the hi-res patch? I'm using CG 10.1.2 and Fallout from GOG was easy to install and runs flawlessly but it's in a tiny 640x480 window. I'd like it to run in a larger window, which I'm assuming the hi-res patch would allow, but I can't seem to do anything with the hi-res executable in CG 10.1.2 or WINE. Any suggestions?

-PN

P.S  In fullscreen mode in CG 10.1.2 Fallout runs like a dog.

The hi-res patch I linked to comes in a .zip file which you have to expand in your Fallout install folder (whether it be in CrossOver or Wineskin). There are some detailed instructions in the included readme file too - the only other thing is that the patch needs the Visual C++ 6.0 runtime, which you can install either in Winetricks within Wineskin or via the Software Installer in CrossOver. Remember to install it in the same bottle as Fallout or else the patch won't work.

Oh yes, and you shouldn't try to run either Fallout or Fallout 2 in any version of CrossOver earlier than CrossOver 11. In every other previous release I tried, they were unplayable due to slow performance.

#7 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3006 posts
  • Steam ID:ThainEshKelch

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:43 AM

Thanks a lot for those awesome links! I was looking at what game I wanted to start next, and saw I had the GOG Fallout lying around, so I think I'll turn to that one next!
"They're everywhere!"

And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m.

#8 rampancy

rampancy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

Bump. It pains me to say this, but (after some more testing) performance appears to still be almost unplayably sluggish in CrossOver 11.1 (the latest released version) for both Fallout and Fallout 2. While the relevant bug in WINE appears to have been fixed, a lot of people over on the WineHQ database also seem to be experience speed problems too. Because of this, I can't recommend that anyone get this game to run in WINE or CrossOver anymore. :(

#9 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7103 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:43 PM

View Postrampancy, on 22 June 2012 - 10:20 AM, said:

Bump. It pains me to say this, but (after some more testing) performance appears to still be almost unplayably sluggish in CrossOver 11.1 (the latest released version) for both Fallout and Fallout 2. While the relevant bug in WINE appears to have been fixed, a lot of people over on the WineHQ database also seem to be experience speed problems too. Because of this, I can't recommend that anyone get this game to run in WINE or CrossOver anymore. :(
I have Fallout 1 running almost perfectly well in a WineSkin wrapper with Wine 1.4 (without XInput2). No performance problems at all.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#10 rampancy

rampancy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:39 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 22 June 2012 - 01:43 PM, said:

I have Fallout 1 running almost perfectly well in a WineSkin wrapper with Wine 1.4 (without XInput2). No performance problems at all.

The odd thing is that I actually tried Fallout 2 on Wineskin with the CX10.3 engine, the CX11 engine, WS8Wine1.4, W9Wine1.5.6, and WS8Wine1.5. Nothing worked, and they all showed the same speed issue I'd noticed with Fallout and Fallout 2 way back in CrossOver Games 9.x

Just now though, I then checked the option to use the user's system installed Xquartz instead of Wineskin's own X11 and voila - both Fallout and Fallout 2 work perfectly (this was with the WS8Wine1.4 engine). You mentioned that you used an engine without XInput2; I've seen these engines in the Wineskin Winery, but I'm a little unclear as to why they're there.

#11 doh123

doh123

Wineskin

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:27 PM

View Postrampancy, on 22 June 2012 - 03:39 PM, said:

The odd thing is that I actually tried Fallout 2 on Wineskin with the CX10.3 engine, the CX11 engine, WS8Wine1.4, W9Wine1.5.6, and WS8Wine1.5. Nothing worked, and they all showed the same speed issue I'd noticed with Fallout and Fallout 2 way back in CrossOver Games 9.x

Just now though, I then checked the option to use the user's system installed Xquartz instead of Wineskin's own X11 and voila - both Fallout and Fallout 2 work perfectly (this was with the WS8Wine1.4 engine). You mentioned that you used an engine without XInput2; I've seen these engines in the Wineskin Winery, but I'm a little unclear as to why they're there.
Wine switched over to using Xinput2 in X11.  This is great for linux, but very problematic on OSX.  If your mouse goes haywire crazy, then trying a NoXInput2 version can often fix the issue.

Crossover's X server is quite old (its even dated 2003 if you watch the logs).  XQuartz 2.7.2 runs very well, and I haven't had a chance to make a new version of Wineskin based with it.  Wineskin 2.5.5 wrappers WineskinX11 is based of something near around 2.7.0 without some of the nice fixes in 2.7.2.

#12 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7103 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:45 AM

View Postdoh123, on 22 June 2012 - 05:27 PM, said:

Wine switched over to using Xinput2 in X11.  This is great for linux, but very problematic on OSX.  If your mouse goes haywire crazy, then trying a NoXInput2 version can often fix the issue.
Means in my case, that the in-game mouse pointer was sometimes stuck in a part of the screen. I had this with a couple of games apart from Fallout 1, like Star Wars Battlefront II or also Fallout 3.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"