#1 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7182 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

I don't know if anyone here knows King's Bounty from 1990, especially since (as far as I know) it never was ported to the Mac. I came into contact with it on the Amiga and there were also versions for DOS, Apple II and C64. Basically, it's the predecessor of Heroes of Might and Magic. Maybe some people here noticed it got something of a remake a couple of years ago, which was released for Windows. There even was a sequel to that a year later.

Why do I mention this? Well, because the remake and its sequel surprisingly turned up in the Mac App Store today. Both titles got pretty good reviews, so they might be interesting to fantasy strategy buffs.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#2 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

Um...wow.  I wouldn't have expected that to happen.  If I had known, I wouldn't have bought the Windows versions on Steam last year when they were on sale, since they basically work fine using Crossover Games.  Although, I did get the lot for $6.99.  But the games are worth a lot more than that.  (It's likely they aren't "real" Mac versions--the good behavior in Crossover Games kind of indicates WINE is involved here.  But still, I'd rather have contributed to the Mac market.)

Purely by coincidence, I finished downloading King's Bounty: Crossworlds just before reading this; I completed KB: The Legend last year but haven't played KB: Armored Princess yet.  Speaking of which, shouldn't they have ported Crossworlds rather than Armored Princess?  Since Crossworlds is basically an enhanced Armored Princess with a few extra bits.  Or maybe the Mac version of Armored Princess actually is Crossworlds, which would make sense, since Crossworlds is stand-alone and Armored Princess was an add-on pack.

Anyway, yeah, if you like Heroes of Might and Magic at all, or just turn-based strategy, get these games, they're great.  Or at least The Legend is.  I assume Armored Princess also is, since it seems like pretty much more of the same from what I've seen so far, which is a good thing in this case.

--Eric

#3 Blam!

Blam!

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 05 April 2012 - 12:15 PM, said:

...especially since (as far as I know) it never was ported to the Mac.

Posted Image

I loved King's Bounty in the 90's. You can still find a copy for OS9 in the gardens. ;)

Blam!

#4 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

Does anyone know if these are native ports, or are they just wrapped?

EDIT:

I just read the first App Store review of The Legend, and the player noticed that there is a graphics bug which causes most of the character models to be invisible, with just a few parts remaining visible.  This is the most common issue when running this game under Wine, so my guess is that these games are wrapped.  And from the sound of it, not very well.  I'm probably just going to keep playing the self-wrapped Windows versions I already own.
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#5 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7182 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:08 AM

View Postclocknova, on 08 April 2012 - 05:10 PM, said:

Does anyone know if these are native ports, or are they just wrapped?

EDIT:

I just read the first App Store review of The Legend, and the player noticed that there is a graphics bug which causes most of the character models to be invisible, with just a few parts remaining visible.  This is the most common issue when running this game under Wine, so my guess is that these games are wrapped.  And from the sound of it, not very well.  I'm probably just going to keep playing the self-wrapped Windows versions I already own.
Native ports. I just bought and tried The Legend, and didn't have any graphical glitches on my aging 13" MBP.

EDIT: Okay, I do have the described graphical glitches, but apparently not every time. :glare:

EDIT 2: To be more precise: the first time I launch the game after restarting my MBP, there are no glitches. Any further attempt to play it leads to problems. This is somewhat strange...

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#6 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7182 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

I found the time to install and test the game on my AMD Mac mini, and there these glitches did not turn up (yet?). I wouldn't be surprised if the issue is dependent on the brand of the GPU (my MBP I tested it on earlier has an Nvidia 9400M).

#7 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:08 AM

Now they're on Steam, for less than the Mac App Store.  (The Legend is $13.49 right now.)

--Eric

#8 Wobblefoot

Wobblefoot

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Steam Name:HulkPunchedThor

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

How do these games stack up next to the newer HoMM games? And what more (if anything) do they bring to the table?

#9 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

They're single-player only, and more rpg-ish rather than strategy-game-ish (there's just one hero that you use through the whole game), though the combat is very similar. Specifically it uses the same general combat system from HOMM 3, aside from not having castle sieges.  If they do HOMM 7, I think it would be great if they took some features from King's Bounty, such as the more varied combat arenas and the medal system from Armored Princess/Crossworlds.  Super-addictive.  

--Eric

#10 Wobblefoot

Wobblefoot

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Steam Name:HulkPunchedThor

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:20 AM

View PostEric5h5, on 23 April 2012 - 05:35 PM, said:

They're single-player only, and more rpg-ish rather than strategy-game-ish (there's just one hero that you use through the whole game), though the combat is very similar. Specifically it uses the same general combat system from HOMM 3, aside from not having castle sieges.  If they do HOMM 7, I think it would be great if they took some features from King's Bounty, such as the more varied combat arenas and the medal system from Armored Princess/Crossworlds.  Super-addictive.  

--Eric

Just one hero? That sounds awesome. I don't know why, but that is one thing that irked me about the HoMM games. In HoMM V, I had a hard time investing in the other heroes because I never felt like they were "me". The story made me feel like a certain hero was the center of focus, so I didn't care about these extra "throw away" heroes that would likely not be gone by the next act.

I'll probably pick them up soon, but I'm waiting to see if they fix the nVidia graphics card problems I've seen reported on another forum.

#11 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

GOG has this on sale for the Mac for $3.99 this weekend. Since they don't yet wrap Windows games for the Mac I assume this is the Mac version we've seen on Steam and the MAS. I've been very curious about this series but there's been no demos so hadn't yet given it a shot. This works though!

http://www.gog.com/g...unty_the_legend

-PN
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.9.2
iPad 3 64GB WiFi/iPhone 4S 32GB

#12 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

If you have an Nvidia GPU, don't bother. They still haven't fixed the invisible character bug.