27 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8473 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:24 AM

Overhaul Games and Beamdog have announced that a Mac version of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition is in development. Scheduled for release this summer, BGEE is an updated version of Bioware's fantasy role playing game set in the Forgotten Realms. The game will feature an enhanced version of the Infinity Engine, the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion pack, a new adventure, and a new party member. Baldur's Gate: Enhanced edition will also allow cross-platform multiplayer with Windows PC and iPad users.

The Mac version of the upcoming game is being developed in-house and will be a native OS X application. Mac specific features include support for full screen, widescreen, trackpads, and iCloud. The developer is also looking into Mountain Lion's upcoming Game Center features, but can't commit to anything until after the OS is released.

Since its initial release in 1998, Baldur’s Gate has entertained millions of fans around the globe, and has received countless awards. This classic saga of mystery, intrigue, and adventure has set the standard for Dungeons & Dragons™ computer role-playing games ever since.

MORE OF THE GREATEST ROLE-PLAYING GAME OF ALL TIME FOR YOUR MAC

Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition™ runs on an upgraded and improved version of the Infinity Engine. It includes the entire Baldur’s Gate adventure, the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion pack, and never before seen content including a new adventure and a new party member.

The Enhanced Edition will include a variety of Mac OS X specific features, including widescreen and iCloud support.

EPIC STORY AND ADVENTURE AT UNPRECEDENTED RESOLUTION
Learn more at the site below.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1195 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:21 AM

I'll get it!
OS X 10.10.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3520 2.66GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GTX680 2GB

#3 JCdragon

JCdragon

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Steam Name:jcdragon

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:22 AM

I heard this was coming out for iPad, but I think I will get it for my iMac instead.  Sweet

#4 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1951 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:45 AM

I only played Icewind Dale, but this sounds like a great update to a classic. Any news of a Windows version? Maybe this is just iOS-to-Mac “halo” porting, and there is no Windows version coming?

#5 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:47 AM

If iCloud saves allow iOS/OS X cross-platform play, then I'll be getting both versions!
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#6 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7178 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

View Postnagromme, on 30 March 2012 - 09:45 AM, said:

I only played Icewind Dale, but this sounds like a great update to a classic. Any news of a Windows version? Maybe this is just iOS-to-Mac “halo” porting, and there is no Windows version coming?
The Windows version was basically announced right from the beginning.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#7 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3038 posts
  • Steam ID:ThainEshKelch

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

View Postclocknova, on 30 March 2012 - 09:47 AM, said:

If iCloud saves allow iOS/OS X cross-platform play, then I'll be getting both versions!
I am no matter what. The replayability of that game is just.. woot
"They're everywhere!"

And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m.

#8 ArkhamNative

ArkhamNative

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 30 March 2012 - 10:34 AM, said:

The Windows version was basically announced right from the beginning.
It actually announced with no platforms specified, then later announced iPad, then Mac. Nowhere on their site do they mention Windows (or lack of Windows).  Maybe IMG actually asked the question and got an affirmative, but so far nothing public from them says it will be available on Windows. (If anyone has a link to info from them, not a news blog, I'd be happy to see it.)

#9 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:46 AM

Can't wait although a bit of a shame it's Mac App Store.. Doesn't that raise loads of issues with using community mods etc ?

#10 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7178 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:25 PM

View PostArkhamNative, on 30 March 2012 - 11:02 AM, said:

It actually announced with no platforms specified, then later announced iPad, then Mac. Nowhere on their site do they mention Windows (or lack of Windows).  Maybe IMG actually asked the question and got an affirmative, but so far nothing public from them says it will be available on Windows. (If anyone has a link to info from them, not a news blog, I'd be happy to see it.)
Well, technically, the site still does not mention any platforms outside the news. But when you take a look at Trent Oster's tweets, he mentions "PC" as platform all the time.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#11 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1742 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

View PostSargiel, on 30 March 2012 - 11:46 AM, said:

Can't wait although a bit of a shame it's Mac App Store.. Doesn't that raise loads of issues with using community mods etc ?

Not if they just load them from Application Support folders etc.

#12 ArkhamNative

ArkhamNative

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 30 March 2012 - 12:25 PM, said:

Well, technically, the site still does not mention any platforms outside the news. But when you take a look at Trent Oster's tweets, he mentions "PC" as platform all the time.
"Yes, it will be compatible multi-player cross-platform. We had a Mac, iPad and PC joined into a game together. #bgee"  -- @TrentOster

I'd say that's confirmed Windows. Thanks.

#13 Kilvain

Kilvain

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 198 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

Other than IMG, another good place to look for Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition information is GameBanshee, where they are keeping track of all the various information updates about the game on one convenient page.

#14 choiceweb0pen0

choiceweb0pen0

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Steam Name:choiceweb0pen0

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

Cool, I remember getting it and trying to run it on an older mac. Both Baldur's Gate games and their expansions had a great story line and amusing NPC's. Icewind Dale was okay, but it didn't have much of a plot and fairly bland characters. It was about the same graphics and combat systems though. Not sure if I will get this new edition or not.

#15 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • Steam Name:ikir

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:05 AM

I can't wait, i will buy both versions if save game will be on iCloud!
ikir's personal page
MacBook pro 13" retina 2013
i5 2,6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Iris graphics
Madcatz R.A.T. MMO7, Logitech K811

#16 pantherv

pantherv

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Steam Name:panthervca

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

For some reason I thought this was BG 1 & 2 combined. I wonder if they will overhaul BG 2 as well.
MP 2.66 QC/8GB/1TB WD Velicoraptor/10.8/GT120/Lacie 234 24in/1TB Gtech/Razer Black Widow Mac Edition Keyboard/Logitech G500 Mouse/Razer eXactMat.Audioengine A5 & A8 Speakers & Sub.
iPhone 4s/32GB/Speck Case
iPad Mini Retina 64

#17 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

View Postpantherv, on 01 April 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

For some reason I thought this was BG 1 & 2 combined. I wonder if they will overhaul BG 2 as well.

They are.  And likely Planesape:Torment after that, if the BG & BG2 remakes sell well.  And if things continue going well, BG3 and remakes of the Icewind Dale games are sure to follow.  This is all official from the mouths of the developers.
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#18 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3038 posts
  • Steam ID:ThainEshKelch

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

View Postpantherv, on 01 April 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

They are looking into doing a combo game.
"They're everywhere!"

And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m.

#19 nick68k

nick68k

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:42 AM

Let joy be unconfined.

#20 Tesseract

Tesseract

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3499 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:45 AM

Very nice. Do I get a discount for owning the original? :)