32 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8571 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:39 AM

Feral Interactive has released the Mac version of BioShock 2, the genetically enhanced role-playing shooter. Developed by 2K Marin, 2K Australia, 2K China and Digital Extremes, and published by 2K Games for games consoles and PC, BioShock 2 is the sequel to BioShock.

Welcome back to Rapture. Paradise reborn.

Deep within the ruined undersea city of Rapture, your beloved Little Sister, Eleanor, awaits your return. As her Big Daddy, you protected her from a world of insanely selfish adults, now you must shield her again from those who demand that everything must be shared.

Ten years after the events of BioShock, Rapture has fallen under the control of a collectivist cult who plan to transform Eleanor into a genetically-engineered messiah, who will put an end to individuality forever. To save her, you must deploy a unique combination of shooting, role-play and stealth as you rampage through Rapture’s leaking halls to confront her captors.

Whether you choose to forgive those who threaten Eleanor or wreak vengeance upon them, remember, she is always watching and will follow your example.

Features:
  • Embark on an intense journey through one of the most disturbing fictional worlds ever created in this hauntingly imaginative sequel to BioShock.
  • Become the Big Daddy and unleash the raw power of Rapture’s most feared inhabitant against deadly new enemies such as Brute Splicers and the vengeful Big Sisters.
  • Dual wield your abilities: fire powerful weapons with your right hand while deploying gene-altering plasmids with your left.
  • Choose whether to adopt Little Sisters and protect them from splicers, or harvest them for the genetic material they carry.
  • Explore the sea bed as a Big Daddy and view Rapture’s breathtaking architecture from the outside.
  • Engage in all-out civil war online! BioShock 2 contains a completely separate multiplayer game set during the Fall of Rapture.
Requirements:
  • Processor: 2.0Ghz
  • RAM: 4.0 GB
  • Free Space: 10.0 GB
  • Graphics: 256 MB
  • Accessories: Multi-Button Mouse
  • The following graphics cards are not supported:
    • ATI X1xxx series
    • ATI HD2xxx series
    • NVIDIA 9400
    • NVIDIA 7xxx series
    • Intel GMA series
  • The following cards require you to have 4GB of System RAM:
    • NVIDIA 320M
    • Intel HD 3000
BioShock 2 is available now for $30.99 (USD). For more information about the game check out IMG's review at the link below.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1214 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:50 AM

Bioshock 2 use the Havok engine as well? It supports multiple [core] CPUs and helped Bioshock run super smooth on my system...

EDIT: Noted "core"
OS X 10.10.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GTX680 2GB

#3 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1436 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:12 AM

Yes it uses Havok for physics.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#4 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7217 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

Yay. Only had a few minutes to play today (the download took a while), but so far, the game looks great and runs smoothly on my AMD Mac mini at 1280x720 with everything maxed out. Sweet. :D

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#5 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1748 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:15 PM

Hello,

We regret to inform you that your order will take longer to fulfill than originally estimated. Our supplier has notified us that there is a delay obtaining stock for the following items you ordered on March 22 2012.

"BioShock 2 (Mac DVD)"

We are awaiting a revised estimate from our supplier, and will email you as soon as we receive this information.

Booh Amazon, will buy it from the Mac App Store or directly from Feral then.

#6 dokter_mac

dokter_mac

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:19 PM

Yeah, it's also 'sweet' that I've pre-ordered the game at MGS, as a loyal client, since day one that MGS announced it and for 30,99€ and now you can buy exactly the same game in the AppStore for 24,99€.
Cool, really cool!  :angry: :nods: Thanks  :nods:

Sorry Eric. I've made a VERY BIG mistake between the calculation from $ to €  :blush:

30,99$ is the equal from 23,215€

I'm so sorry for the mistake guys! Can you forgive me please  :unsure:

Sincerely and again my apologizes for the mistake.

PS: I'm also gonna wright my apologies to the CEO Tuncer Deniz.

#7 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

View Postdokter_mac, on 29 March 2012 - 07:19 PM, said:

Yeah, it's also 'sweet' that I've pre-ordered the game at MGS, as a loyal client, since day one that MGS announced it and for 30,99€ and now you can buy exactly the same game in the AppStore for 24,99€.
Cool, really cool!  :angry: :nods: Thanks  :nods:
Must be a currency fluctuation thing, because it's $30.99 on MGS and $30.99 on the App Store.

--Eric

#8 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1214 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

Get from MGS... support the littl'r guy!
OS X 10.10.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GTX680 2GB

#9 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15813 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 30 March 2012 - 09:12 AM, said:

Get from MGS... support the littl'r guy!
Oh hell yeah.  This forum isn't here out of the blue by some guy in his parent's basement.  This forum supports the Mac Game Store, it's a business.  It needs money to survive.  No money, no insidemacgames.com.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#10 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7217 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:56 PM

Eh? What the hell? Since when does Feral use a screen filling window as full screen mode? I can't use three of five mouse buttons in the game due to that since I have mapped Exposé functions to them – which of course kick in now whenever I click one of these buttons.  :angry:

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#11 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1436 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 30 March 2012 - 02:56 PM, said:

Eh? What the hell? Since when does Feral use a screen filling window as full screen mode? I can't use three of five mouse buttons in the game due to that since I have mapped Exposé functions to them – which of course kick in now whenever I click one of these buttons.  :angry:
Batman Arkham Asylum, Dirt 2 and BS2 uses it. That's all I know. It is annoying, but I just turn off my hot corners before playing. A minor annoyance. You'll have to remap the mouse I imagine.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)

#12 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

Argh, I thought game companies stopped doing that a long time ago.  Having to turn off hot corners makes me less inclined to want to play, because turning them off and then back on after playing is tedious and annoying, and even if it's not a huge annoyance, it's still an annoyance, especially since there doesn't seem to be a good reason to do it that way.  BioShock 1, for example, doesn't have that problem, or Borderlands, etc.  (I didn't notice in Dirt 2, because of using a gamepad.)

--Eric

#13 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7217 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:25 AM

View PostWumpus, on 30 March 2012 - 08:37 PM, said:

Batman Arkham Asylum, Dirt 2 and BS2 uses it. That's all I know.

Gah! I didn't notice that in Batman, since I play that with a gamepad. And at least the Dirt 2 demo does not do this.

It is annoying, but I just turn off my hot corners before playing. A minor annoyance. You'll have to remap the mouse I imagine.
Are you kidding? Remapping three mouse buttons (plus deactivating the hot corner that I use for the screensaver – thanks for pointing that out) every frigging time I want to a play one game and then restoring my settings after I'm finished playing – which is not a single click process – is not a "minor" annoyance. This is bullpopsnizzle. This already was bullpopsnizzle when Valve pulled off this crap and it is now.

For frak's sake. The previous fullscreen implementation was perfectly fine. Why change something that is not broken?

#14 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1436 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

I meant my setup was a minor annoyance :P your's is certainly a much bigger hassle.

I agree it shouldn't be done however, and intend to ask Feral about why its being done, or if there's a way to remove it.

P.S. Also meant to say DXHR does it too, which is what I've been playing of late. Hopefully we can get that changed.

#15 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3684 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones
  • Steam ID:Meriones

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

View PostWumpus, on 30 March 2012 - 08:37 PM, said:

Batman  Arkham Asylum, Dirt 2 and BS2 uses it. That's all I know. It is  annoying, but I just turn off my hot corners before playing. A minor  annoyance. You'll have to remap the mouse I imagine.

I remember this issue from when Valve ported their games over in June of  2010. Someone wrote a rather usefull script to somewhat fix that issue:  Steam Kill Spaces. I posted the script back on another thread here  aound that time.

View PostThe Liberator, on 28 November 2010 - 06:48 AM, said:

I know someone has made a script so when you launch Steam, Expose and Spaces are automatically turned off. I think the name is "Steam Kill Spaces", (or something to that effect). It was posted in the OSX subforum of Steam Support. This was a few months back though, so you will need to search for it or something else. I cannot email it to you, as I will not have any access to my computer for a few (more) weeks; sorry.

Here is the orignal post from the Steam Forums:

Hello all,

If you want to automatically turn off Spaces when you play Steam Games,  and then automatically turn Spaces back on when you quit Steam, get this  App:

http://www.mediafire...elee6lhwnl61dgc

Download it, open the ZIP, drag the App into your Applications folder,  and then Double Click it when you want to run Steam and Kill Spaces at  the same time.

I was having issues with Spaces... I was playing DoD:S and holding the  left CTRL key to Crouch. While crouching, I would hit 1, 2, 3, or 4 to  select different weapons.

The issue is that if you have Spaces and Expose running.... Mac OS X binds CTRL-1 to Space 1 and CTRL+2 to Space 2 and so on.

Which means that your game completely disappears just as you are trying  to grab a grenade to lob into a sniper position. By the time you switch  back to the correct Space where your game is... you just got headshot.

Annoying.

So, I wrote an App called Steam Kill Spaces to fix the problem.

Here is what it does:

When you launch the app, it launches Steam for you. So you can use this  app to open Steam instead of double clicking the Steam App itself.

At the same time, it shutdown Spaces... the app shuts it completely off so Spaces and Expose don't ruin your game.

While you play your games... every few seconds Steam Kill Spaces checks  to see if Steam is still open. If it is, the app does nothing. But if  Steam has been closed, the app automatically turns Spaces back on for  you, so you don't have to!

Then the app quits itself... and your Mac is back to normal with all it's Spaces Glory.

So if you want to automatically turn off Spaces when you play Steam Games, get this App:
http://www.mediafire...elee6lhwnl61dgc

If you want to roll your own Applescript, Open the AppleScript "Steam  Kill Spaces" in a new Script Editor window  (applescript://com.apple.scripteditor/?action=new&script=on%20idle%0D%09tell%20application%20%22Syst  em%20Events%22%0D%09%09if%20(exists%20application%  20process%20%22Steam%22)%20then%0D%09%09%09return%  205%0D%09%09else%0D%09%09%09do%20shell%20script%20  %22defaults%20write%20com.apple.dock%20workspaces%  20-bool%20YES%22%0D%09%09%09do%20shell%20script%20%22  killall%20Dock%22%0D%09%09%09quit%20me%0D%09%09end  %20if%0D%09end%20tell%0Dend%20idle%0D%0Don%20run%0  D%09launch%20application%20%22Steam%22%0D%09do%20s  hell%20script%20%22defaults%20write%20com.apple.do  ck%20workspaces%20-bool%20NO%22%0D%09do%20shell%20script%20%22killall  %20Dock%22%0D%09delay%2010%0Dend%20run). (Thanks NSGod  (http://forums.steamp...003&postcount=2)  for the URL)

Save it as a Stay Open Application. Double click the app you just made to launch Steam and Kill Spaces at the same time.

Here is the code so you can see it:

on idle
tell application "System Events"
if (exists application process "Steam") then
return 5
else
do shell script "defaults write com.apple.dock workspaces -bool YES"
do shell script "killall Dock"
quit me
end if
end tell
end idle

on run
launch application "Steam"
do shell script "defaults write com.apple.dock workspaces -bool NO"
delay 10
end run

Or use an applescript:// URL:

--Click to open this AppleScript in Script Editor: Open this script in a  new Script Editor window  (applescript://com.apple.scripteditor/?action=new&script=on%20idle%0D%09tell%20application%20%22Syst  em%20Events%22%0D%09%09if%20(exists%20application%  20process%20%22Steam%22)%20then%0D%09%09%09return%  205%0D%09%09else%0D%09%09%09do%20shell%20script%20  %22defaults%20write%20com.apple.dock%20workspaces%  20-bool%20YES%22%0D%09%09%09do%20shell%20script%20%22  killall%20Dock%22%0D%09%09%09quit%20me%0D%09%09end  %20if%0D%09end%20tell%0Dend%20idle%0D%0Don%20run%0  D%09launch%20application%20%22Steam%22%0D%09do%20s  hell%20script%20%22defaults%20write%20com.apple.do  ck%20workspaces%20-bool%20NO%22%0D%09do%20shell%20script%20%22killall  %20Dock%22%0D%09delay%2010%0Dend%20run%0D).

on idle
    tell application "System Events"
        if (exists application process "Steam") then
                return 5
        else
                do shell script "defaults write com.apple.dock workspaces -bool YES"
                quit me
        end if
    end tell
end idle

on run
    launch application "Steam"
    do shell script "defaults write com.apple.dock workspaces -bool NO"
    delay 10
end run

Hopefully this will help some of you who have been dealing with Spaces interrupting your gameplay.

Enjoy!

Sincerely,
Jorgenson aka Sergeant Twinkle Toes

Anyway, I hope that helps people. I shall try to upload the script when I can, (to here of couse). The orignal link has appeared to been severed, but I assume one could rebuild the script from what the guy posted.

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 8GB RAM | 10.8.2 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#16 jeannot

jeannot

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:18 AM

just create a new user with mission control disabled and switch users before playing games. Create a non-admin user without password, for faster user switching.

#17 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7217 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:00 AM

View Postjeannot, on 01 April 2012 - 05:18 AM, said:

just create a new user with mission control disabled and switch users before playing games. Create a non-admin user without password, for faster user switching.
Sorry, but "simply do this" or "simply do that" simply won't do. I don't see why I should jump through hoops because some programmer chose to integrate some fundamental design flaws.

#18 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1436 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:44 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 02 April 2012 - 05:00 AM, said:

Sorry, but "simply do this" or "simply do that" simply won't do. I don't see why I should jump through hoops because some programmer chose to integrate some fundamental design flaws.
You are justifiably annoyed, but for the time being you'll have to jump hoops to play the game until something can be done about this. I'm going to ask Edwin next time I see him online and see what he says.

#19 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3396 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:39 AM

I started playing B2 last night downstairs in the man-cave. I had the lights off. Spooky.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#20 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1436 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

Nice. Anyone who wants to try some multiplayer should let me know as I'm up for it most anytime.