5 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8621 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:20 AM

Little Orbit has announced it will be bringing Mistborn: Birthright to a variety of platforms, including Mac, in 2013. Based on the best-selling fantasy novels of Brandon Sanderson, the upcoming role playing game will feature an original story from the author set hundreds of years before the first novel. Players will take the role of a young nobleman struggling to master his new found magic powers as he battles those seeking to destroy his family.

Mistborn is set in a dark world of ash, mist, and gothic fantasy creatures, dominated by a seemingly immortal villain known as the Lord Ruler. It also follows individuals who use a powerful rule-based magic system known as Allomancy that allows them to temporarily enhance their physical and mental abilities by ingesting and "burning" flakes of metal. Those who have the ability to burn a single metal are called Mistings, and those who can burn all metals are known as Mistborn.

The upcoming RPG video game will feature an original storyline created by Sanderson, set several hundreds of years before the first Mistborn novel, and will focus on a unique combat system that puts Allomancy into the hands of gamers. Players will suit up as Fendin "Fiddle" Fathvell, an arrogant young nobleman who must quickly master his newfound Allomantic abilities before forces at work can destroy his entire family.

"I'm a huge fan of the series, and I cannot wait to get this into the hands of gamers," said Matthew Scott, CEO of Little Orbit. "Between the distinctive magic system, the story twists Brandon has planned for the game, and the rich depth of character skills, we're creating something very unique for players to enjoy."

Sanderson is no stranger to video games. He recently completed story development on the Infinity Blade II video game including the accompanying Infinity Blade: Awakening novella. In between writing his popular Mistborn and Stormlight novels, he is also finishing work on the final novel in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Sanderson has been labeled "one of the most popular new fantasy writers to emerge in the last ten years."

"As an avid gamer, I'm extremely excited by this opportunity," said Sanderson. "The chance to write the story for a Mistborn game while working with a team of talented developers is, quite literally, living a dream."
For more information about the game visit the links below.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Kilvain

Kilvain

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 202 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

This is good news for fans of the books. It's going to be interesting to see how the metal based magic system (allomancy) is translated into a computer game.

#3 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7246 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:50 AM

View PostKilvain, on 27 March 2012 - 07:18 PM, said:

This is good news for fans of the books. It's going to be interesting to see how the metal based magic system (allomancy) is translated into a computer game.
I can't say I have ever heard about the books. Are they any good?

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#4 Kilvain

Kilvain

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 202 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

Sanderson is a skilled writer. He's also currently working on the difficult task of finishing Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series and doing an admirable job. I'm always a fan of fantasy authors who come up with unique magic systems, rather than just going with the tried and true 'spellbooks and fireballs' route.

#5 strangemax

strangemax

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:02 AM

I just finished the Mistborn trilogy and it is good. Very unique. Not sure how the series will translate into a game though.

#6 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1437 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:32 AM

Looks intriguing, and I also like the use of alternative or unique magic systems that don't follow the same tried and true formula.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive