#1 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

Hi all,

I'm going to PAX East this year as an IMG Rep and thusly getting a Media pass. :) Its my first time attending a convention so I'm very excited. I was wondering if anyone else who is a mac gamer/IMG'er would be attending? Would be fun to meet up.

Also I have a specific request. If someone else is coming, would anyone be interested in doing some photo/video for/with me? I plan to interview lots of people and demo stuff, so having a 2nd person who could photo or video would be great. I have a pretty good camera and recording devices that I would lend. Otherwise I'll do what I can on my own, but thought to put it out here ahead of time in case someone bites. :)

Closer to the event I'll be creating a separate thread which I'll post updates on throughout the day or at the end of the day depending on how it works out. Also going to be using Twitter, just not sure which account yet.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#2 Kilvain

Kilvain

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 196 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

I'll be there in spirit! Draining the souls of PC only developers...

#3 Wobblefoot

Wobblefoot

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Steam Name:HulkPunchedThor

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

Very cool, Wumpus! Hope you have a great time and discover lots of goodies for us Mac gamers. :D

#4 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3024 posts
  • Steam ID:ThainEshKelch

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:34 AM

Would love to, but the states are very far away.. ;)
"They're everywhere!"

And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m.

#5 Frost

Frost

PowerPC Inside

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5128 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:09 PM

When they have PAX-NotHalfAContinentFromFrost I might consider attending. ;)

To date the only events up in the northeast big enough to draw me were MacWorld 2000 (with BungieFest 2000) and MacWorld 2002.
Cypher (PowerMac G5 Quad) – 2x2.5 GHz PPC 970MP / 16GB ECC RAM / 1TB WDC Velociraptor, 2TB STX Constellation ES.2 / QuadroFX 4500 512MB
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.2 GHz Ci7 4770K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Crucial M550 M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 3TB STX Barracuda / GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB
Chromium (MacBook Pro Early 2008) – 2.6 GHz C2D T9500 / 4GB RAM / 960GB Crucial M500 / GeForce 8600M GT 512MB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 Titanium) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 480GB OWC Mercury Legacy Pro / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#6 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

View PostFrost, on 24 March 2012 - 01:09 PM, said:

To date the only events up in the northeast big enough to draw me were MacWorld 2000 (with BungieFest 2000) and MacWorld 2002.

That wasn't you in the Air Force get-up at tBC's now infamous 2003 Harvard Panty Raid? Hmm. My mistake.
Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#7 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

View PostFrost, on 24 March 2012 - 01:09 PM, said:

When they have PAX-NotHalfAContinentFromFrost I might consider attending. ;)
Well you are pretty much smack in the middle of the states. PAX is either in Boston or Washington (state) right? :P I guess the GDC San Fran events are closer to you than Boston.

Not sure if Aspyr is attending, I've emailed my contact asking her, but no response yet. I know they went to GDC. Otherwise have a few interviews lined up, so a good start. Mostly my plan is just to wander around and pursue what seems interesting or relevant.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)

#8 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7163 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:46 AM

You should definitely drop by 2K's booth.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#9 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:54 AM

Already have an interview and demo setup ;)

#10 andrewlennox

andrewlennox

Fan

• IMG Writers
  • 47 posts
  • Steam Name:lenntheox

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:29 AM

View PostWumpus, on 21 March 2012 - 05:06 PM, said:

Hi all,

I'm going to PAX East this year as an IMG Rep and thusly getting a Media pass. :) Its my first time attending a convention so I'm very excited. I was wondering if anyone else who is a mac gamer/IMG'er would be attending? Would be fun to meet up.

Also I have a specific request. If someone else is coming, would anyone be interested in doing some photo/video for/with me? I plan to interview lots of people and demo stuff, so having a 2nd person who could photo or video would be great. I have a pretty good camera and recording devices that I would lend. Otherwise I'll do what I can on my own, but thought to put it out here ahead of time in case someone bites. :)

Closer to the event I'll be creating a separate thread which I'll post updates on throughout the day or at the end of the day depending on how it works out. Also going to be using Twitter, just not sure which account yet.

Dam, I would love to help with the video only if Boston was next to Australia. I don't claim to know a lot but I have a little experience in the area of interviewing people for a short documentary I did a year ago. I did pick up a few things from that experience, maybe this could help in a way.

If you can't get anyone you could ask someone around. I know that might seem crazy but these big developers do have multiple PR people around, I'm sure they would be able to help film if you ask them.

You could also ask if they would do an interview back at your hotel if its not to far and if you're worried about the camera safety. Set up a tripod and get both of you in frame, easy. Then again it might make the interview seem less dynamic with a steady shot for 10 minutes. But if it was only for a 2-4 minutes (or you cut out the bad stuff down to just a few minutes) I'm sure it'll be fine. Just make sure that you make the person you interview not look down the barrel of the camera, CREEPY!!! :P You might even put the camera on a tripod and sit away from the camera and make the interviewee speak to you rather then the camera. I know when I did this doco a last year I got a friend to stand and have the interviewee talk to the friend while I said the questions behind the camera. There a lots of trick I'm sure you'll come up with. But then again if you're not worried about a random grabbing you camera and running, then I guess this same concept can apply to being on the show floor as well.

Here is an example of this guy who interviews people from the film industry. I'm pretty sure he's a one man show but if not it wouldn't be too hard to do it alone.

Here's another example of The Verge doing an interview on the Mobile World Congress show floor. I haven't watched the whole thing but the bits I did see do show what you can do on the high end. I know The Verge put a lot of time and effort into their videos so It might seem a bit difficult but I'm sure you can take elements from it to implement in your videos

Another thing you could do is just drop the video and do audio instead. You could even use the microphone in an mobile phone or something if you wanted to go really low budget. With this audio you could use the sound and put it over footage you take while at the show. Or even create a special PAX edition podcast with these edited audio clips in it.

Oh also, If you can, get an external mic, I'm not sure what your camera is but I know a lot do have a place where you can put another mic in. That will dramatically cut down the noise from the crowded hall I know you'll be in. And If you can monitor the audio that would help greatly as well. I know with my little film, the sound did prove to be one of the worst parts of it. If you have to ability to master it, everything else should work just fine.

I'm not sure what sort of angle you are going for. Is it like these 2-4 minutes videos I talked about earlier or will it be like a recap sort of thing that will take the best bits over the whole convention? This will drastically effect how your content will be shot.

Here is another example done by The Verge which shows how you can do a "wrap-up" video. This specific example is a SXSWI.

I know these aren't the perfect solutions but if you are a one man band, these are the best ideas I could come up with. You probably already know most of these but I'm just trying to help while I'm so far away :(

If you have any thoughts or questions feel free to let me know, I've always been curious to see how these events pan out in terms of video content.

Hope this helps :D
Andrew Lennox
Writer, Inside Mac Games
http://andrewlennox.tumblr.com/

#11 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

Hi all,

Unfortunately I've gotten a violent cough and heavy cold in the last few days. I've been trying my best to get rid of it, but its persisting. As such I'm going to have to cancel my PAX attendance. I'm very disappointed but it is, what it is. I can't attend in this condition.

Damn, better luck next year I guess.

#12 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15717 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

What you need is a good bleeding to remove the evil humors.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#13 andrewlennox

andrewlennox

Fan

• IMG Writers
  • 47 posts
  • Steam Name:lenntheox

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

View PostWumpus, on 05 April 2012 - 10:08 AM, said:

Hi all,

Unfortunately I've gotten a violent cough and heavy cold in the last few days. I've been trying my best to get rid of it, but its persisting. As such I'm going to have to cancel my PAX attendance. I'm very disappointed but it is, what it is. I can't attend in this condition.

Damn, better luck next year I guess.

Aww, sad. Oh well these things happen at the worst times don't they :P Well I'm sure you'll be just as excited to go next year, maybe with this extra prep time we now have, more people would be able to go :) Also, we can always talk about it, there is already PLENTY of coverage of it on every gaming website out there :P

Anyway get better soon buddy :)
Andrew Lennox
Writer, Inside Mac Games
http://andrewlennox.tumblr.com/