#1 Wobblefoot

Wobblefoot

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Steam Name:HulkPunchedThor

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:25 AM

On Monday, IMG made a news post about Dungeon Defenders coming to Mac OS. According to the official news page, it might be out tomorrow. I say "might" because even though it was announced for a March 15th release, nothing new has been mentioned since that original blurb was made. The PC version is distributed through Steam, and they are aiming for cross platform multiplayer support, so here's hoping it really will be available tomorrow - the current Mac OS beta testing is supposedly to make sure the two platforms play nicely together.

It's also available for the XBL Marketplace and PSN, so many of you might have already played some iteration of it. For those who haven't, it is a tower defense/action hybrid with some RPG elements mixed in. Here's the trailer:

Even though that video only shows play from a third-person perspective, you can jump into a first-person view.

#2 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:44 AM

Thanks for the trailer. Been looking forward to this game. I'll be getting the review to do, so that's fun. Do you already own this? Maybe we can play together when it comes out :)
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#3 Wobblefoot

Wobblefoot

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

View PostWumpus, on 14 March 2012 - 11:44 AM, said:

Thanks for the trailer. Been looking forward to this game. I'll be getting the review to do, so that's fun. Do you already own this? Maybe we can play together when it comes out :)

No, I don't own it yet. Been waiting for the Mac OS release. :) I've had opportunities to watch friends play, though.

And yeah, I'd definitely be down for some multiplayer! I'm gonna check the website and Steam first thing tomorrow morning to see if it's out. *fingers crossed*

#4 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:37 PM

Awesome. I'm away traveling until the 20th, so can't play until probably  the 21st. You'll have a 6 day headstart on me!
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)

#5 Wobblefoot

Wobblefoot

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:36 AM

Not on Steam yet, but according to the forums, if you own the Windows version you can play the Mac version as early as yesterday.

I'm guessing, though, it will be out later today.

#6 Wobblefoot

Wobblefoot

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:14 PM

It's here! And it looks like the game and all DLC is 50% off between now and the 19th. :cool2:

It's also free to play through the weekend.

#7 Kilvain

Kilvain

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 190 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

Minimum Mac System Requirements said:

2 GB system ram
Open GL 2.1 / Shader Model 3 capable graphics card with 256 MB video RAM
OSX Snow Leopard
1.3 GHz CPU
3GB hard disk space

#8 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3681 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones
  • Steam ID:Meriones

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

Posted Image

A couple of my friends had asked me a week ago to ge this game! Great news.

LIb.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 8GB RAM | 10.8.2 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#9 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:19 AM

50% off everything...great deal. I wish I wasn't traveling as I won't be able to try the game until Tuesday, and of course the free weekend is over, so I can't decide if I like the game enough to buy the DLC.

Maybe I can convince the devs to give me all the DLC to review :P

Also we should get a Dungeon Defenders IMG group going, or create a Steam group for it.

#10 Wobblefoot

Wobblefoot

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

I would love to get a group going for it. Single player is fun, but it was definitely designed with co-op in mind. There is so much strategy and variation on gameplay with the different hero types, I can't imagine playing this with random PUGs. :(

After playing around with it for awhile, I've noticed the various character builds really lend to single player vs. multiplayer game play. Focusing points on your hero doesn't work so well in single player, as the larger waves of monsters just roll over your towers.  A hero focus though, from what I've read on guides, is great for multiplayer. As a strategy, being able to spread out on larger maps so each player can target an entry point draws greatly from the strength of hero-centric builds.

I made the mistake on my Apprentice of putting all my points in hero damage and hero speed so he could quickly zoom around the map and tackle different creep waves. By the time I got to my first Ogre, though, he was tearing through my towers like they were made of tissue paper.

#11 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3681 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

Well, two of my (PC) friends bugged me about buying the game. When I heard that it was 50% off and on Mac, that has made me an owner of the game, even without playing it yet.

Lib.

P.S. I agree, a Steam group would be a great idea.

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

#12 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

Awesome, I'll see about creating a group early next week!

#13 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3681 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:31 PM

I have played nearly three hours of this game, and I am finding it measurably fun and interesting. As they say, it is a TD mixed with the normal fantasy action. It appears to be as simple as that; make turrets (towers) and defend the thing (eternal chrystal) by using your heroeic player to build stuff and defeat the bad guys. I learnt nearly everything (that I would think there is to learn) in about an hour.

Liberator.

#14 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3210 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:13 PM

I tried to take part in the free weekend but the game isn't loading for me... after the unskippable FMV intros the screen just goes black and the game freezes up and I have to force quit it.  :bleedingeyes: :cool:
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#15 Wobblefoot

Wobblefoot

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 17 March 2012 - 09:13 PM, said:

I tried to take part in the free weekend but the game isn't loading for me... after the unskippable FMV intros the screen just goes black and the game freezes up and I have to force quit it.  :bleedingeyes: :cool:

I'm sorry for the late reply, as the free weekend might already be over. I've read that disabling the Steam overlay (friend notifications) in the preferences alleviates this issue. The intro still stutters a bit, but the game eventually does load.

For clarification, under Preferences -> In-Game -> Enable Steam Community In-Game (uncheck) is the step for disabling this option.

#16 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3681 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

View PostWobblefoot, on 18 March 2012 - 04:28 PM, said:

I'm sorry for the late reply, as the free weekend might already be over. I've read that disabling the Steam overlay (friend notifications) in the preferences alleviates this issue. The intro still stutters a bit, but the game eventually does load.

For clarification, under Preferences -> In-Game -> Enable Steam Community In-Game (uncheck) is the step for disabling this option.
Whenever I have launched the game, the splash screen always stutters for the first few seconds, then starts working. I have had no other problems at all, apart from an occasional lag.

Lib.

#17 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3210 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:09 AM

View PostWobblefoot, on 18 March 2012 - 04:28 PM, said:

Actually I already did that a few weeks back... but even having it already disabled it didn't help for me *shrug*
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7