5 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8555 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:54 AM

CodeWeavers recently announced the release of CrossOver XI. The new package replaces all previous versions of CrossOver, and continues to offer Mac and Linux PC users the ability to run Windows software and games without the need for a Windows operating system license.

CrossOver XI replaces all previous versions of CodeWeavers’ CrossOver software.“No more CrossOver Games; so long CrossOver Pro (and Impersonator, and Bundle, and Platinum, and…), One download of CrossOver XI gives everyone in our universe immediate access to thousands of Windows applications otherwise unavailable without a Microsoft license,” said Jeremy White. “So, whether you’re a Mac user wanting to play Wizard 101, a Linux user needing Microsoft Office 2010, or someone who really misses the ‘90s and is nostalgic for WordPerfect 3.1, CrossOver XI is for you.”

Starting at $39.95, CrossOver XI is the most affordable software solution on the market to run your Windows applications on Mac and Linux. Sure, some solutions appear to be free or available at a comparable price, but they require you to purchase a copy of a Windows license, which can cost upwards of $100, before you can run any Windows applications. CrossOver does not. We repeat, CrossOver XI does not require you to purchase a Windows license.

“The only thing not simple about CrossOver XI is how we pronounce the name of the product,” White continued. “Should customers pronounce us as ‘CrossOver Ex-Eye,’ or as ‘CrossOver Eleven,’ or perhaps ‘CrossOver Exy,’ or as I like to refer to it, ‘CrossOver Zigh’? Considering we’re all about open source here, we’ll leave it to our customers to decide.”
Of interest to Mac gamers, CodeWeavers will soon be offering CrossOver support for Bioware's popular MMO, Star Wars: The Old Republic.

CrossOver XI is available now, starting at $39.95.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:24 AM

Upgrading from Crossover Games was painless and my existing installs are working fine so one happy customer here :)

#3 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1951 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:43 AM

At that price, if there’s a Windows game you need, this is a great alternative to having to wait around rebooting to windows and then watching malware checkers and updaters to grind for 10 minutes. And in the process, giving up all your Mac bookmarks, email, IM, Skype, etc.—not to mention security—until your game session is done.

And it seems to work: I was very impressed that my (old version) CrossOver runs the Windows version of Steam + TF2 on my 6-year old Nvidia 7600 iMac. Seems like magic!

I hope to use it for Descent 3 if nothing else. My Mac version is PPC-only.

#4 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3305 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:14 PM

The downside is they seemed to have rolled in some changes to the renderer from WINEHQ WINE that causes rendering errors with monolith's lithtech games. Namely the weapons\HUD items in those games are now translucent like glass. Even Transgaming has rolled in those changes too so Crossover Games was the last engine to render those correctly. Well, not any more.  I upgraded Condemned to the Crossover XI engine and noticed that. Crossover's engine was the go to engine for me for lithtech games but it appears I have to keep them in the last Crossover Games v10 engine for the time being.

I submitted this bug to the WINEHQ bugzilla a few months back: http://bugs.winehq.o...ug.cgi?id=27145

Also how to pronounce it is simple.. it's CROSSOVER ELEVEN.. XI is a roman numeral!  :cool:
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#5 Nox

Nox

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:58 AM

I've been using Crossover for a while now, and I'm really impressed with the software. I mainly use it to play Rift, which runs like a charm (literally as smoothly as if it was a Mac application), and Star Trek Online; I've also dabbled in LotRO. What truly amazes me is the graphics performance, I have most of the settings at very high values (except the stuff I would leave at medium settings even in a native app, like extensive ground clutter or maximum terrain view distance) and STO performs admirably. With CX XI, anti-aliasing has become available in many titles, too, making them even more pleasant to look at. Now that they've rolled Crossover and Crossover Games into one package, the ability to also run non-gaming Windows apps as needed is just gravy. Or vice versa.

Their tech support is admirable, too. When CX XI was released, some customers experienced lack of audio in certain titles—CodeWeavers fixed the issue within two days. Not bad. Not bad at all.
27" iMac, 3.4 GHz Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB, running OS 10.9

#6 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2010 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:21 PM

The couple of games I tried to run (with the previous version) I had no luck with. But I'll try again one day, when I get a really strong urge to play something.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.