The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

View PostWumpus, on 04 March 2012 - 11:46 AM, said:

Why is it a shameless promotion? Did you write or are part of the CoH Wiki?
Hmmm, kind of…

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#42 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

View PostThe Liberator, on 04 March 2012 - 03:33 PM, said:

Hmmm, kind of…
Now if only the Mac version had multiplayer, I could put your knowledge to the test :P
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#43 dualie11

dualie11

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:46 PM

I bought this as I have a thing for WWII strategy games. I also loath multi-player, so this is just right for me.

I just can't believe Aspyr shipped this without a PDF of the manual on the disk image. Sure I can download one from a web site, but this is really unforgivable.   :angry:

For shame Aspyr.

It's pretty fun/intense otherwise though - once you figure out how to pause and save the game.

#44 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:55 AM

Does the "setsimrate" hack work on Macs to slow the darn game down?

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#45 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:32 AM

View Postdualie11, on 14 May 2012 - 06:46 PM, said:

I bought this as I have a thing for WWII strategy games. I also loath multi-player, so this is just right for me.

I just can't believe Aspyr shipped this without a PDF of the manual on the disk image. Sure I can download one from a web site, but this is really unforgivable.   :angry:

For shame Aspyr.

It's pretty fun/intense otherwise though - once you figure out how to pause and save the game.
If you can download it from the website what's the problem?

Also the game isn't hard to figure out..the tutorial tells you all the controls/info you need.

View PostDaveyJJ, on 15 May 2012 - 04:55 AM, said:

Never tried it, but why would you want to slow it down?
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#46 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:37 AM

View PostWumpus, on 15 May 2012 - 06:32 AM, said:

Because it's too fast for me.

I've never been good at frantic RTS games where I have to react all over a map to a variety of things (Rise of Nations being the only exception) and prefer turn based. I like to pause and think about my strategy and dislike (and am unable to) reacting to quickly changing game conditions. That or I need a wide range of "skill" settings from fragile newbie on up to have any chance normally. RTS games like World of Warcraft III, Starcraft and the ilk I find are simply unplayable and maddening exercises in frustration.

By turning down the game speed it gives me a better chance to win a bit and enjoy myself and counter some of the sometimes "unbeatable" AI the devs have programmed into the game (perfect strategies etc).

So ... is it possible to implement the "setsimrate" in a pref/ini file??? Inquiring minds want to know.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#47 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:13 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on 15 May 2012 - 06:37 AM, said:

Because it's too fast for me.

I've never been good at frantic RTS games where I have to react all over a map to a variety of things (Rise of Nations being the only exception) and prefer turn based. I like to pause and think about my strategy and dislike (and am unable to) reacting to quickly changing game conditions. That or I need a wide range of "skill" settings from fragile newbie on up to have any chance normally. RTS games like World of Warcraft III, Starcraft and the ilk I find are simply unplayable and maddening exercises in frustration.

By turning down the game speed it gives me a better chance to win a bit and enjoy myself and counter some of the sometimes "unbeatable" AI the devs have programmed into the game (perfect strategies etc).

So ... is it possible to implement the "setsimrate" in a pref/ini file??? Inquiring minds want to know.

You're not alone Davey. I've tried and tried to like RTS games because most of them just look so darn cool but in the end I always seem to get frustrated and quit, usually well before I finish the single-player campaign. They almost always seem to come down to a lot of frantic random clicking with little to no thought behind it. So any victories seem hollow to me. Warcraft 3 wasn't too bad because I believe that had a speed adjustment setting.

As for CoH, I actually have the PC version that I got quite awhile back during a Steam sale for around $3. It seems to work pretty well in Crossover 10.1.2 although the controls are a little funky. You can pause the game but unless I'm missing something you can't queue up commands or do anything while paused. I haven't played it all that much because of the usual RTS reasons I mentioned above. That said I've been hesitant to drop $50 on the Mac version.

I much prefer turn-based or games where you can pause and issue commands.

-PN
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.12.3
iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi/iPhone 6+ 64GB

#48 dualie11

dualie11

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:10 PM

View PostWumpus, on 15 May 2012 - 06:32 AM, said:

If you can download it from the website what's the problem?

Also the game isn't hard to figure out..the tutorial tells you all the controls/info you need.

The problem is that I PAID FULL PRICE for the game. I expect a COMPLETE game, not one minus the manual.

And you're completely wrong about the tutorial telling/showing you all the commands. It doesn't tell you how to do some basic functions, such as using F5 (or is it F6 or 7?) to pause the game.

Again, not including, at the very least, a hot key map is just inexcusable. There isn't even a mention anywhere that no manual is included, and where to find one. What was Aspyr thinking?

#49 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1448 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:20 AM

http://www.scribd.co...ronts-Manual-PC

http://www.scribd.co...COH-user-manual

http://wiki.reliccom...f_Heroes_Manual

http://cdn.steampowe...0/Manual_en.pdf
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#50 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:54 PM

I would agree CoH and DoW (Dawn of War) are faster-paced RTSs. …but I think they are designed this way; for flanking manouvers to quickly occur. I have found that you can slowly get used to the game speed, but it ain't easy at first.

There have been other games that let you change the play speed: the Command and Conquer games, Age of Empires and Supreme Commander (SC).

…well maybe not SC, but it goes so frickin' slowly anyway. ;)

Lib.

P.S Personally dualie, I understand you annoyance bu I do think it's a bit of split milk as Umar (above me) was about to find four different places to get the game manul.

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

#51 dualie11

dualie11

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:35 PM

View PostThe Liberator, on 16 May 2012 - 06:54 PM, said:

P.S Personally dualie, I understand you annoyance bu I do think it's a bit of split milk as Umar (above me) was about to find four different places to get the game manul.

Did I say I couldn't find a manual on the web? No. I did not. The fact that anybody can Google a manual is beside the point.

The point is that Aspyr sold an INCOMPLETE game at full price. The way you and UmarOMC1 have reacted I suspect you two think that EVERY game should come without a manual and that's okay because we can just download one from joeschmoesgames.com.

That attitude is entirely unacceptable. If I ordered a boxed version and it came without a manual I would return it. If could do that with a downloaded version I would. It's even less acceptable when it takes seconds to include a PDF file of the manual on a disk image.

Way to hang us out to dry Aspyr!

#52 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1448 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:04 AM

dualie11, for the time you've wasted finding the words to vent your frustrations you could have searched a hundred times over. It sounds more like you paid for expectations rather than doing your homework before investing. What's unacceptable is your attitude since your downloading the manual is barely more trivial a task as downloading the disk image. And please don't be so pathetic as to assume we think that EVERY game should come without a manual and that's okay. Of course it would be easier to have it within the image, what should I have done, bought the game, download the image, edit it to include the PDF and send it to you?

Email Aspyr. :cool:
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#53 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:18 AM

Look dualie,

I like having a manual (I would think) more than most people. ...especially printed manuals (of games I don't even play much). I still would not be rather highly put out if a digital-downloaded game is not supplied with one. I agree the norm for a printed on-disc game is to have a manual, but with digital distribution (and especially where it is going) I find it is easily excused when a manual is lacking. I don't know about Aspyr's game distribution, but with Steam, acquiring a PDF manual is only a few clicks away. In essence, a digital version not being on hand I think should not be a bother, but with something like a printed game disc should always have a manual.

Lib. :)

#54 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:53 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on 15 May 2012 - 04:55 AM, said:

^^^ Did anyone ever check for this nice guy?

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#55 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:49 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on 17 May 2012 - 04:53 AM, said:

^^^ Did anyone ever check for this nice guy?
Google fails me on that one but have you tried to type setsimrate(#) in the console?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#56 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 17 May 2012 - 07:49 AM, said:

Google fails me on that one but have you tried to type setsimrate(#) in the console?

I don't have the game. I'll bite if I can use the "setsimrate" but have no way to check and am hoping an owner of said game could check for me.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#57 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:42 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on 17 May 2012 - 08:46 AM, said:

I don't have the game. I'll bite if I can use the "setsimrate"…
Now Davey, biting a poor defenceless game is no way to treat it, if one is able to change the play speed. Naught boy!

Lib.

#58 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1448 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:50 PM

Oh, by the way, 50% OFF at MGS!!! Yes, $24.99!

#59 pantherv

pantherv

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Steam Name:panthervca

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:01 PM

http://www.gamersgat...ign-edition-mac

80% off
MP 2.66 QC/8GB/1TB WD Velicoraptor/10.8/GT120/Lacie 234 24in/1TB Gtech/Razer Black Widow Mac Edition Keyboard/Logitech G500 Mouse/Razer eXactMat.Audioengine A5 & A8 Speakers & Sub.
iPhone 4s/32GB/Speck Case
iPad Mini Retina 64

#60 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:28 PM

Although it's probably obviously how can you tell if you've already given orders to a squad? While paused I cycle through all my squads and sometimes can't remember which ones have already been given orders. Is there some kind of visual cue?

-PN
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.12.3
iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi/iPhone 6+ 64GB