59 replies to this topic

#21 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

Curiously still a pre-order on MGS. Wonder if its delayed or they just didn't update it.\

Also, FAQ by Aspyr: http://blog.gameagen...eroes-complete/
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#22 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1353 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:53 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 28 February 2012 - 10:06 PM, said:

EDIT: Please consider that supporting Wintel publishing isn't supporting Mac gaming–publishing or development.

I do what I can, but I have my limits: 1. It's got to run very well on my Windows-less MacBook w/ 320M, to the point where playing it on my desktop would offer no real advantage; and 2. It has to be feature complete, and less than $50. I bought Feral's copy of Pirates for $30 even though I had previously bought it on D2D for $5.

I'm simply not going to pay $30 more than what I paid for a game that will save me nothing more than a reboot, and even then, only when I want to play single player, no matter how much I enjoy supporting Mac developers.

(I had assumed that CoH was dirt-cheap now because I'd bought it a few years ago for <$10. Granted, it lacked Tales of Valor, and it was on sale.)

#23 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

View PostCougar, on 01 March 2012 - 11:53 AM, said:

(I had assumed that CoH was dirt-cheap now because I'd bought it a few years ago for <$10. Granted, it lacked Tales of Valor, and it was on sale.)
Tales of Valor & Opposing Fronts, both packs. The original game is like $10 and both packs are $20 for a total of $50, which is how I assumed Aspyr reached that price point.
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)

#24 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1353 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:25 PM

View PostWumpus, on 01 March 2012 - 06:13 PM, said:

Tales of Valor & Opposing Fronts, both packs. The original game is like $10 and both packs are $20 for a total of $50, which is how I assumed Aspyr reached that price point.

I had bought CoH Gold for $5, which contains Opposing Fronts.

You can get the Anthology which seems to be the same thing as Complete for $19 on Amazon.

#25 Kilvain

Kilvain

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 203 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

Now at Macgamestore as well

#26 ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data

Positronic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

http://blog.gameagen...eroes-complete/

No, DX10 effects are not present in the Mac version of Company of Heroes. Mac OS does not support DX10 features as DX10 does not translate into Open GL.
Apparently the DX10 effects didn't make it over to Mac.

#27 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1423 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:26 AM

View Postltcommander.data, on 01 March 2012 - 07:54 PM, said:

http://blog.gameagen...eroes-complete/

Any screenshots showing the significant difference? This issue came up with Feral's port of Bioshock and it was stated that the port was more-or-less feature equivalent to DirectX 9.x, which looked beautiful to the point I was taking a lot of screenshots, as I did with RAGE.
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#28 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:47 AM

View Postltcommander.data, on 01 March 2012 - 07:54 PM, said:

No, DX10 effects are not present in the Mac version of Company of Heroes. Mac OS does not support DX10 features as DX10 does not translate into Open GL.
:huh: I'm wondering what DX10 features didn't translate into OpenGL 3.x... (which admittedly would have limited CoH to OS X 10.7).

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#29 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:33 AM

View PostCougar, on 01 March 2012 - 06:25 PM, said:

I had bought CoH Gold for $5, which contains Opposing Fronts.

You can get the Anthology which seems to be the same thing as Complete for $19 on Amazon.
How interesting. Steam (US) still has the complete pack for $50. But your right, the anthology on Amazon seems to be the same thing for $30 less. Not sure what's up with that.

I still think something like $40 would be a fairer and reasonable price point for the Mac CoH port given there's no multiplayer in it. Its not quite the "complete pack" in that light.

Review should be up soon on IMG.

#30 strangemax

strangemax

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:59 AM

Bought the game. I have it on bootcamp, but hate hate hate windows. It runs great on the mac and looks great too. Turn up the models and you won't notice the difference. I tried putting up a nice review on the Apple App store, but it limits the reviews in length so I had to shorten it. I was surprised to see the rating as 12+. It's an M rated game. That should be fixed.

One question though, where are the saved game files? I can't seem to find them. I'll find myself playing on either my desktop or laptop, and would like to move over the saved games.

#31 AspyrRyan

AspyrRyan

Aspyr

• Developer
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

Assuming you're on Lion and using the Mac App Store version the save games are in ~/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.cohappstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Company of Heroes/Savegames.

Otherwise, it'll be ~/Library/Application Support/Company of Heroes/Savegames.

#32 strangemax

strangemax

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:46 AM

View PostAspyrRyan, on 02 March 2012 - 09:37 AM, said:

Assuming you're on Lion and using the Mac App Store version the save games are in ~/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.cohappstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Company of Heroes/Savegames.

Otherwise, it'll be ~/Library/Application Support/Company of Heroes/Savegames.

Aha! Thanks.

#33 ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data

Positronic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:56 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 02 March 2012 - 02:26 AM, said:

Any screenshots showing the significant difference? This issue came up with Feral's port of Bioshock and it was stated that the port was more-or-less feature equivalent to DirectX 9.x, which looked beautiful to the point I was taking a lot of screenshots, as I did with RAGE.

Here's the official trailer comparing the differences. I believe the trailer exaggerates the differences though because it spends most of the time with close-ups which is probably not how the game is played.

http://www.extremete...ectx-10-patch/2
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2267/4

The major differences seem to be more lighting, the ability for all lights to cast shadows, softer shadows, and more litter/grass. The improved lighting model is more apparent at night.

View PostJanichsan, on 02 March 2012 - 02:47 AM, said:

:huh: I'm wondering what DX10 features didn't translate into OpenGL 3.x... (which admittedly would have limited CoH to OS X 10.7).
The DX10 codepath seems to make use of geometry shaders and the Draw Instanced API. Geometry shaders exist in 10.6.8, although I'm not sure of the performance, but 10.6.8 doesn't support ARB_draw_instanced which I assume is the OpenGL version of DX10's Draw Instanced API.

#34 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

View Postltcommander.data, on 02 March 2012 - 09:56 AM, said:

... but 10.6.8 doesn't support ARB_draw_instanced which I assume is the OpenGL version of DX10's Draw Instanced API.
Yup, definitely supported in Lion.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#35 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

View Postltcommander.data, on 02 March 2012 - 09:56 AM, said:

Here's the official trailer comparing the differences. I believe the trailer exaggerates the differences though because it spends most of the time with close-ups which is probably not how the game is played.

http://www.extremete...ectx-10-patch/2
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2267/4

The major differences seem to be more lighting, the ability for all lights to cast shadows, softer shadows, and more litter/grass. The improved lighting model is more apparent at night.
I have not played the Mac version, but I would say you are right on the differences in lighting, as you said especially for the night maps. Still, the game looks so good, that it hardly matters anyway, and it would be ludicrous to be zoomed in that far anyway…make it impossible to play.

Lib.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#36 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:32 PM

There's no reason to ever zoom in that close...you can't play that way. I zoom in on stuff here and there while playing, but everything looks better from the default camera. I think the lack/loss of DX10 effects are negligible at best. The game still looks quite good despite being six years old.

#37 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:57 PM

View PostWumpus, on 03 March 2012 - 06:32 PM, said:

There's no reason to ever zoom in that close...you can't play that way. I zoom in on stuff here and there while playing, but everything looks better from the default camera. I think the lack/loss of DX10 effects are negligible at best. The game still looks quite good despite being six years old.
Yeah, I agree, the game is great looking. …just like DoW. Both excellent looking RTSs, although I suppose there is always a catch. I have found the sys req are rather high for an RTS. Still great though.

Lib.

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

#38 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:33 AM

<shameless promotion>
Now everyone, I am going to do some shameless promotion here. This is for anyone who has just bought CoH, and may want to know some in-game stuff,

The Company of Heroes Wiki is a great place to go for everything for the game. There are articles for every different type of squad and vehicle, ranging across the main game and the two expansions. There are also pages on missions and Commander trees.

There may be other resources on CoH around the web, but this is the only flexible and large wiki out there.
</shameless promotion>

Thanks for using up IMG server resources for this shameless promotion,
Liberator.

P.S. By the looks of it, tBC will be probably going a few weeks without a bath/shower due to this wonderful RTS and maybe another run through of Borderlands, and you cannot forget it tried to have a shirt/pants of duel. …that was clearly a subterfuge for having a bath later or some other shenanigan.
P.P.S. I also conferred with Eric the Great in counsel of whether making this shameless promotion was within IMG guidelines and what not, and it appears it is, as I have bowed down to him enough, ::quickly kowtows three times:: and put a fifth mortgage on my tyrannical business empire.

#39 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:14 AM

Shameless.  Simply shameless.  You fit right in.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#40 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:46 AM

Why is it a shameless promotion? Did you write or are part of the CoH Wiki?