59 replies to this topic

#1 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:28 AM

Aspyr announced it this morning, CoH: Complete is coming to the Mac march 1st. As a big FTS fan I'm really excited. I've played a bit of this before on a pc way back in 2007, and while its a 5 year old game I think it will hold up well in 2012 regardless. I know it offers a deep and tactical strategy experience.

Am getting my hands on a build soon for preview/review. Not sure if I'll get a preview out in time, but at least a review by launch day. One of my biggest questions would be if it allows cross platform multiplayer, because as far as I know the community is still active on the PC.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#2 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

I took a chance and bought this for the PC (without the expansions) on Steam for around $3 during one of their crazy sales about a year ago. I got it to work in Crossover Games perfectly. It's a great game although it was a little difficult for me.

I'm excited to see this coming to the Mac and may pick it up. It seems Aspyr has taken a page from Feral's book and brought an older, all-time classic to the Mac, repackaged with all the expansions. Good job Aspyr!

-PN
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.9.2
iPad 3 64GB WiFi/iPhone 4S 32GB

#3 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7181 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:28 PM

View PostWumpus, on 21 February 2012 - 11:28 AM, said:

One of my biggest questions would be if it allows cross platform multiplayer, because as far as I know the community is still active on the PC.
Considering that the Mac version's full title is "Company of Heroes Complete: Campaign Edition", I assume it has the same multiplayer capabilities as Aspyr's other "Campaign Editions" – namely none.

Anyway, I somewhat lost interest in most WWII games, so while CoH is certainly a welcome addition to the Mac gaming library, I probably won't get it. Especially not for 40 € (£ 35). But doesn't Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War on the same engine? It probably would be feasible to port that also later. That would be a game I'm interested in.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#4 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

Seems kind of pointless without multiplayer.

I wonder how much it will be, considering you can get the game on the PC for next to nothing.

Edit: It's a full $50. Yikes.

#5 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:22 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 21 February 2012 - 02:28 PM, said:

Considering that the Mac version's full title is "Company of Heroes Complete: Campaign Edition", I assume it has the same multiplayer capabilities as Aspyr's other "Campaign Editions" – namely none.

Anyway, I somewhat lost interest in most WWII games, so while CoH is certainly a welcome addition to the Mac gaming library, I probably won't get it. Especially not for 40 € (£ 35). But doesn't Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War on the same engine? It probably would be feasible to port that also later. That would be a game I'm interested in.
Crap, I didn't see the "campaign edition" tagline on there. Ugh. Oh well. Probably another Steam related thing...which makes me think. They put up Civ V on Steam and as Steamplay and all, so I'm curious why they started cutting out of Steam for Rage and now presumably CoH.

And yes, the first Warhammer game does run on that engine. But if they are porting any Warhammer RTS, they should port the more recent one's IMO. That being said I own DoW 2 and the expansions on PC already.

View PostCougar, on 21 February 2012 - 04:01 PM, said:

I wonder how much it will be, considering you can get the game on the PC for next to nothing.

The complete edition is still $50 on Steam, so its not that surprising a price. Of course we aren't really getting the "complete" edition given there's no multiplayer, so its a little ballsy to ask us for $50 without that feature.

I wonder, maybe Aspyr can start using a 3rd party alternative like GameRanger, which is what Feral does. Its not ideal, but it at least gives you some form of Multiplayer, which is better than none at all. I wasn't concerned about the lack of MP in Rage, but the lack of of it here definitely bothers me as it one of the things I was looking forward to most.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)

#6 AspyrRyan

AspyrRyan

Aspyr

• Developer
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:54 PM

From what I've seen, the first Dawn of War was on a different engine, while the second one was on the next version up from the Company of Heroes engine.

Unfortunately for Company of Heroes, the current multiplayer infrastructure couldn't be ported to the Mac.  Civ V and DNF both used Steamworks for multiplayer, so that wasn't too bad, but it puts a halt on multiplayer on the App Store.  It's really a case by case basis, sometimes technical, sometimes legal.

#7 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7181 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:12 AM

Ugh, I keep forgetting that the "no dependency on third-party apps" on the MAS of course also precludes the use of GameRanger. Anyway, I hope that Mountain Lion's Gamecenter fills that hole.

View PostWumpus, on 21 February 2012 - 05:22 PM, said:

The complete edition is still $50 on Steam, so its not that surprising a price.
It's 25€ (ca. $33) on Steam here in Germany.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#8 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:23 AM

Feral uses GameRanger and still sells thing on MAS like Dirt 2, Borderlands and BioShock 2 upcoming...so while the MAS version may not have it or use it...other versions certainly can. Like from MGS or directly from their website.

@ AsrpyRyan, does CoH use Relic Online? I'm assuming it can't be ported due to some combination of technical and legal reasons. I'm still hoping to see MP support somehow down the line at least mac to mac. I know it has a great campaign which will no doubt be exciting and fun, but true longevity lives in multiplayer. :)

#9 ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data

Positronic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:50 PM

View PostTacohead, on 21 February 2012 - 02:10 PM, said:

I'm excited to see this coming to the Mac and may pick it up. It seems Aspyr has taken a page from Feral's book and brought an older, all-time classic to the Mac, repackaged with all the expansions. Good job Aspyr!

View PostAspyrRyan, on 21 February 2012 - 05:54 PM, said:

From what I've seen, the first Dawn of War was on a different engine, while the second one was on the next version up from the Company of Heroes engine.
Given it is a pretty old game, with the PC version even supporting DX8 Pixel Shader 1.1, the high system requirements for the Mac version are a little surprising. Can we take from this that the Mac version takes full advantage of the DX10 codepath that was later introduced in a PC patch?

Truth be told I really wasn't expecting a Mac port of CoH after all this time, but I'm definitely happy it's coming. Hopefully as others have said, something can be done about multiplayer, if only Mac-Mac or LAN, since it is an important part of the fun for a RTS.

#10 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7181 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

View PostWumpus, on 22 February 2012 - 04:23 AM, said:

Feral uses GameRanger and still sells thing on MAS like Dirt 2, Borderlands and BioShock 2 upcoming...so while the MAS version may not have it or use it...other versions certainly can. Like from MGS or directly from their website.
Hm... possibly that restriction is not so strictly applied when the third-party software is only optional. Would make sense.

#11 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

Barring any delays, release is but a few days away. Been playing around with a preview build and its a LOT of fun. Deep, complex and varied strategy with lots of options. I think its brilliant. Good story/campaign as well. My current recommendation is pick it up if you are into WW2 and/or RTS.

I have it on word from Aspyr that they aren't giving up on Multiplayer, just not possible at release. So maybe we will see something down the line. They should have a more detailed public statement about it sometime.

#12 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3682 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones
  • Steam ID:Meriones

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

View PostWumpus, on 28 February 2012 - 11:18 AM, said:

Barring any delays, release is but a few days away. Been playing around with a preview build and its a LOT of fun. Deep, complex and varied strategy with lots of options. I think its brilliant. Good story/campaign as well. My current recommendation is pick it up if you are into WW2 and/or RTS.

I have it on word from Aspyr that they aren't giving up on Multiplayer, just not possible at release. So maybe we will see something down the line. They should have a more detailed public statement about it sometime.
Well, that is great news that Aspyr will still hunt after a multiplayer.

Lib.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 8GB RAM | 10.8.2 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#13 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1195 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

View PostCougar, on 21 February 2012 - 04:01 PM, said:

How about purchasing a PC then? Or install Windows on your Mac and call it a day? You can't get it with all of the expansions for "next to nothing" anyway. Do you consider the cost to Mac game publishers to publish the title for Mac? ...licensing fees, for porting, a percentage to the title's owners, trying to recoup that with a smaller profit margin from a smaller user base...

EDIT: Please consider that supporting Wintel publishing isn't supporting Mac gaming–publishing or development. Want to sell XBOX gaming systems? Purchase the entire company that's about to put a killer app like Halo out for Mac and make it an XBOX exclusive... running Wintel apps via WINE, CrossOver, BootCamp, etcetera isn't supporting the Mac gamer user base–that's me and you. Think forward, don't sell out. Please? :happy:
OS X 10.10.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3520 2.66GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GTX680 2GB

#14 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3682 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones
  • Steam ID:Meriones

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:18 PM

…or would a WINE app work?

Lib.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 8GB RAM | 10.8.2 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#15 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

The price on Amazon, Steam, etc is still $50 or very near it for the PC version of this game. Not a surprising price point as earlier mentioned. I know you can get it for cheaper if you poke around, or maybe buy the packs separately, but that's besides the point. As Umar said, its not supporting mac publishing :P

$50 is a lot even for me on a new game, but I'll put it down if I think its worth it. If CoH had Multiplayer out the gate that would definitely make it an easy sell I think. Selling a $50 campaign game is bit harder to swallow, but it is a darn good one, and multiplayer may come in down the line.

I thought Aspyr's entry point for Rage was very smart at $40, especially considering that didn't have multiplayer options either. Would be nice to see CoH more in that range, but it does boast about 50 hours of campaigns, so that's something.

#16 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:13 PM

View PostWumpus, on 28 February 2012 - 11:18 AM, said:

Is there a windowed mode in the Mac version?

-PN
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.9.2

#17 AspyrRyan

AspyrRyan

Aspyr

• Developer
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:18 PM

View PostTacohead, on 29 February 2012 - 04:13 PM, said:

-PN
Yes, Windowed Mode is available through the Game Guide launcher.

#18 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

View PostAspyrRyan, on 29 February 2012 - 04:18 PM, said:

Great thanks!

-PN

#19 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:30 AM

View PostTacohead, on 29 February 2012 - 04:13 PM, said:

-PN

View PostAspyrRyan, on 29 February 2012 - 04:18 PM, said:

Seems to be the new standard from Aspyr. RAGE had the same game launcher which lets you pick window or fullscreen before playing. Nifty addition and hope they add this to all the games going forward :) Personally I don't play in windowed mode, I just want to be able to command-tab out of the game when I like. I can do that in Rage & CoH, but some games don't allow it and that bugs me.

#20 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7181 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:12 AM

Whoomp – there it is.