11 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8096 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:42 AM

Mac|Life has posted a new review of BioShock 2, Feral Interactive's upcoming Mac version of the genetically enhanced role-playing shooter. Developed by 2K Marin, 2K Australia, 2K China and Digital Extremes, and published by 2K Games for games consoles and PC, BioShock 2 is the sequel to BioShock.

As you explore the beautiful, broken art deco hallways and corridors of Rapture, you’ll encounter a wide variety of enemies determined to do you in. Fortunately, you’ll have the opportunity to take them all down with the help of a number of powerful weapons, including a massive mining drill, bolt or spear gun, and a number of customizable weaponized genetic modifications, all of which are powered by compounds and ammunition found throughout the game.

The excellent, suspense-filled single-player campaign unravels over the course of several hours, and is filled with myriad twists and turns that reveal more about the hero and the BioShock universe. Additionally, BioShock 2 introduces an online multiplayer component, which feels distinct from most other shooters by keeping the special Plasmid attacks and machine-hacking abilities from the campaign.
Read more at the link below.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7002 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:02 AM

I hope that means it isn't too long until I have my pre-ordered copy in hand.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 Riko

Riko

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

Sorry,  I seem to be all negative today but that is not much of a review.

Hope IMG brings out a better one. Saw someone from here with his location being in rapture.

#4 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1428 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

That would be me :D Review is set and ready to go and yes, its a nice in depth one for those looking for it. MacLife reviews tend to be rather shallow and don't say much about the game or any sort of analysis. They scored it high but said very little.

Speaking of that his comments on performance are really lame. He reviewed the game on a subpar machine with an integrated graphics card, and then claims you need "a really recent machine" to run it well. My iMac is nearly 2 years old and runs the game flawlessly on High settings. His processor and RAM are good, but if your GPU is junk then you can't expect much of any shooter.

I also question other review details: I recall nothing about being shot in the head as the protagonist, and Sofia Lamb isn't particularly "evil" just like anyone in Bioshock isn't clearcut evil. Everyone is twisted and dark in some manner I think. The player themselves very much have the ability and choice to be cruel, bad or evil as you see fit.

The game isn't released yet..so that's why my review is pending.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#5 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:42 AM

Speaking of performance, I guess Bioshock 2 uses the same engine as Bioshock, so performance should be comparable. That's unfortunate actually, because it did not run really well on my iMac i3 ATI5670. For comparison, Rage runs at native resolution on that iMac.

#6 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7002 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:09 AM

View PostWumpus, on 21 February 2012 - 11:06 AM, said:

Speaking of that his comments on performance are really lame. He reviewed the game on a subpar machine with an integrated graphics card, and then claims you need "a really recent machine" to run it well.
I gather from his description that he ran the game on a MBP with an Nvidia 9400M – which is explicitly not supported, contrary to what the review claims.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#7 dokter_mac

dokter_mac

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

It seems that 'Pre Ordering' a game is not interesting anymore for a gamer. I've pre ordered BioShock 2 months ago and people who are ordering today are paying the same price... Take or less a few $'s (my case €'s).

Thank you very much MacGameStore! I used todo more then 50% of all my purchases on this site. Maybe I'll think twice next time...

I'm a long time member and this game, & others also (all triple A), seems to have the same 'issue'... Where is the time that pre ordering a game was useful and client binding instead of a promo... Pfff... I'm disappointed  :angry:

#8 ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data

Positronic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:40 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 22 February 2012 - 02:09 AM, said:

I gather from his description that he ran the game on a MBP with an Nvidia 9400M – which is explicitly not supported, contrary to what the review claims.
The 9400M was no longer available in mid-2010 MacBook Pros. Assuming non-dedicated, the review must have been done using a then controversial sacrifice CPU for GPU 13" MacBook Pro specifically with 2.66GHz Penryn Core 2 Duo and a nVidia 320M. Still a bottom-end GPU. Only the nVidia 8600GT would presumably be worse.

#9 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1428 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:49 PM

View Postltcommander.data, on 22 February 2012 - 06:40 PM, said:

the review must have been done using a then controversial sacrifice CPU for GPU 13" MacBook Pro specifically with 2.66GHz Penryn Core 2 Duo and a nVidia 320M.
I'm told this was in fact the case and the reviewer needed help from Feral :P

You would think MacLife would have you know, a better Mac laying around to review games on...especially newer releases.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)

#10 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7002 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:37 AM

What's up with that game? The announced December date came and went, in January I got a mail that the release has been pushed from end of that month to mid-February and now it is mid-March – and still no trace of the game. :unsure:

#11 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1428 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

Feral is being held up by 2K, the game is ready to go as soon as 2K approves, but when or why that is, is unknown.

#12 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1174 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:28 AM

View PostiRolley, on 22 February 2012 - 01:42 AM, said:

Speaking of performance, I guess Bioshock 2 uses the same engine as Bioshock, so performance should be comparable.

Nope the engine is a LOT more complex, BS2 on min settings is roughly about the same as BS1 on max settings textures aside.

Oh and I thought I would mention (and give a quick plug) that we have a competition to win a free copy of the game on our Facebook site. Worth checking out if you think you have the chops :)

Edwin