49 replies to this topic

#21 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15799 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:31 PM

Is Mountain Lion stand alone or do I need to buy Lion and then upgrade?  And yes I'm turning off all the new crap.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#22 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1747 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:43 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 17 February 2012 - 01:31 PM, said:

Is Mountain Lion stand alone or do I need to buy Lion and then upgrade?  And yes I'm turning off all the new crap.

Assumingly just like Lion.

#23 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

View PostHansi, on 17 February 2012 - 01:43 PM, said:

Assumingly just like Lion.

All sounds pretty good as there is a lot more consistency. iChat not being able to deal with iMessages was getting frustrating for sure and should you use iChat or FaceTime for a video chat...  All the main bits are still there for us longtime Mac OS X users and the increased familiarity for folks that have currently only got an iOS device should encourage them to give OS X a try when they need a new computer. More OS X users hopefully means more native OS X games :)

I don't really use Launchpad myself now but can understand why it would make for sense for novice users and it being there hasn't had any effect on the Finder if you need the additional features it offers. The whole auto save/versions thing is only really confusing because it is the start of a transition phase and most of us have gotten so used to the current way of dealing with files and folders it is hard to let go. You only have to notice the number of people who just save everything to the desktop to realise the concept does makes sense for general users. They really shouldn't need to understand hierarchal file systems or have to organise things manually (I know some folks will always want to sit and manually arrange all their files and folders but really with the amount of data a typical user now accumulate with their photos, music, videos etc. it makes sense to just let the computer do the work).

With Gatekeeper I can't help feeling that an iTunes Match kind of arrangement would be useful where your installed Applications could be scanned and if they exist in the Mac App Store they could be added to your account and you could download them. I also wonder how it will work with things like Steam - if you install Steam will the games be authorised or will they need there own certificates as they are all separate binaries?

Hopefully there will be some comments on the changes to the underpinnings soon - I usual find it is the little unmentioned changes that can be the biggest improvements in day to day use.

#24 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:44 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 17 February 2012 - 01:31 PM, said:

I'd assume the same as Lion, where a straight upgrade, without a drive wipe, will require Lion (or whatever the previous version), but you can create a bootable install drive, and do a wipe and install, if you like.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#25 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3036 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:59 PM

View PostFrigidman, on 17 February 2012 - 11:13 AM, said:

Apple... making an OS for Idiots.

This is exactly what they are doing, time to get over it

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

Late 2012 iMac 27" Corei7 3.4ghz GTX 680 MX 8gb RAM 3tb FusionDrive
Now Playing: Battlefield 3, The Witcher 2

#26 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on 16 February 2012 - 01:00 PM, said:

and certified devs only. Did you like indie games? Oh, sorry about that 10.9 owners.)

You can take off your tinfoil hat! ;)

This system is not that much more than the one Microsoft have had for years in terms of officially signed products and warnings for none signed ones. Yes it is more strictly enforced in the default mode but this not anything to fear it's just a mall ware protection system for n00bs.

You have AppStore only (handy for schools and other admin run setups).

You have AppStore and signed only (default and good for your average punter as it removes the chance of bad mallware being installed)

You have the I don't care option for computer savvy people.

The outside the AppStore certificate you just apply for and nothing is checked only your certificate can be black listed if you get caught doing naughty things like mallware.

This was how most rational people have thought it would go for a while now. Suggesting this is the beginning of an AppStore only OS scare mongering and makes little sense if you look at it rationally. Sure Apple will push the default user to look in the AppStore first but taking that premise and saying they will ban all none signed apps no matter what if you think about it makes little sense.

Edwin

#27 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:40 AM

View PostAussieMacGamer, on 17 February 2012 - 09:59 PM, said:

This is exactly what they are doing, time to get over it

If you look at Mac OS X (or System as it was back in the day) Apple would take your comment as a compliment. A Mac is supposed to be so easy an idiot (or someone with no computer experience) should be able to use it and not get frustrated. Sure you have power user features but the key goal for Apple is to have things clean and easy to use.

Sure you have the command line and you can compile your own proxy server using MacPorts if you like but for your average grandma she can turn it on and send an email. Hell my cat has grasped some of Apple's iPad concepts ;)

Edwin

#28 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:14 AM

View Postedddeduck, on 24 February 2012 - 10:40 AM, said:

Sure you have the command line and you can compile your own proxy server using MacPorts if you like but for your average grandma she can turn it on and send an email. Hell my cat has grasped some of Apple's iPad concepts ;)

Edwin

The iPad has reached the "simplicity goal" that was originally meant for the Mac. And I like it like that. Let Grand Ma (and the cat) able to use the iPad, while more experienced users can appreciate the complexity of the Mac.

#29 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:11 AM

A Mac will always be capable of more than an iPad and it seems to me Apple are doing a pretty good job of making things easier for new comers to grasp. There is still plenty of options to customise things for more advanced users - most of us who have used Macs for ages don't stick with all the default settings anyway.

Having gone through the OS 9 to OS X transition, the elimination of Classic, the change from PowerPC to Intel processors, the loss of Rosetta and so on I can understand change can be troublesome and there have been bumps on the road but in all on honesty I've managed to get 90% plus of my old games running one way or another and found productivity apps on Lion today that are better than those I used in the past.

#30 Diablofett

Diablofett

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:23 AM

I'm still using Snow Leopard on my early 2011 17'' Macbook Pro. Yeah!

#31 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3036 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:16 AM

View PostDiablofett, on 29 February 2012 - 07:23 AM, said:

I'm still using Snow Leopard on my early 2011 17'' Macbook Pro. Yeah!

My dad's main accounts station at work is running system 9, uses it every day

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

Late 2012 iMac 27" Corei7 3.4ghz GTX 680 MX 8gb RAM 3tb FusionDrive
Now Playing: Battlefield 3, The Witcher 2

#32 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3684 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones
  • Steam ID:Meriones

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:20 AM

View PostAussieMacGamer, on 02 March 2012 - 04:16 AM, said:

Hahaha, that is awesome. How old would that machine be now?

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 8GB RAM | 10.8.2 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#33 Diablofett

Diablofett

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:16 AM

View PostAussieMacGamer, on 02 March 2012 - 04:16 AM, said:

That is awesome. I have an old Graphite Clamshell iBook that hosts my business website. It is running OS X, but the machine itself is considered ancient.

#34 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2702 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:52 PM

Apple... killing the mac for me one OS at a time.

errr, read AMG's post a couple up
- Snake

Tulkas - 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 16 GB RAM || ATi 4870  ||  512 GB Crucial M500 + 2 TB WD Black || OS X Mavericks
Odinheim - Core i3 4150 @ 3.5 GHz || 16 GB RAM || GTX 760  || 120 GB Vertex 4 + 1 TB Seagate SSHD || Win 7 Pro x64

#35 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3304 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:23 AM

The new desktop in Windows 8 with its huge primary colored blocks and all new apps forced to full screen insults my computing intelligence far more than anything Apple is doing. IMAO that's more of an idiot's OS than Mt. Lion and if one thinks that's a less dumbed down direction than what Apple is taking they are delusional, sorry. If Apple is killing the Mac one OS at a time then Microsoft is killing the PC in one fell swoop turning it into a cross between XBox and Windows Mobile.

Before you say "linux is looking better by now" the desktops there are doing similar things to Apple. Take a look:

http://www.gnome.org/gnome-3/

They are even going further by getting rid of minimize and maximize buttons (at least by default).

http://tech.slashdot...aximize-buttons

Also dragging the window to the top bar set it full screen and dragging it away takes it off fullscreen. They also have a launchpad'esque launcher with search, etc.

Hanging on to old software and hardware wont save one either. Sooner or later stragglers wont be able to take advantage of the newest stuff.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#36 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3684 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones
  • Steam ID:Meriones

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:40 AM

I think we should lament the end of computers; including Mac Gaming Is soon to be actually Deadô

Lib.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 8GB RAM | 10.8.2 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#37 Togglemeister

Togglemeister

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

For hardcore Mac gamers out there, the Mac Pro towers that were produced prior to 2008 won't be able to run it.

It states Mountain Lion requires the "ability to boot into OS X 64-bit kernel."
The 2006 Mac Pro boots into the 32-bit kernel.
That's why you need a Mac Pro 2008, 2009, 2010 or later to boot Mountain Lion so time to save up! Or look for deals on ebay!
(Now) Late 2013 27" 3.4 ghz iMac, stock configurations.
(Then) 2005 Powermac G5 Dual Core 2.3 ghz, Leopard, 256mb nvidia 6600GT.
(Archived) DA w/Single Sonnet G4 1.4 ghz  2mb L3, Tiger, 1 gb ram, 128 mb ati 9800 pro (AGP)

#38 Frost

Frost

PowerPC Supremacist

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5230 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

View PostTogglemeister, on 22 April 2012 - 07:39 PM, said:

For hardcore Mac gamers out there, the Mac Pro towers that were produced prior to 2008 won't be able to run it.

It states Mountain Lion requires the "ability to boot into OS X 64-bit kernel."
The 2006 Mac Pro boots into the 32-bit kernel.
That's why you need a Mac Pro 2008, 2009, 2010 or later to boot Mountain Lion so time to save up! Or look for deals on ebay!
Or time for Apple to refresh the damn line so there's actually a reason to buy one.

Mac Pro! Now with severely outdated hardware.
Cypher (PowerMac G5 Quad) – 2x2.5 GHz PPC 970MP / 16GB ECC RAM / 1TB WDC Velociraptor, 2TB STX Constellation ES.2 / QuadroFX 4500 512MB
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.2 GHz Ci7 4770K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Crucial M550 M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 3TB STX Barracuda / GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB
Chromium (MacBook Pro Early 2008) – 2.6 GHz C2D T9500 / 4GB RAM / 960GB Crucial M500 / GeForce 8600M GT 512MB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 Titanium) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 480GB OWC Mercury Legacy Pro / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#39 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1747 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:58 AM

View PostFrost, on 23 April 2012 - 08:54 PM, said:

Or time for Apple to refresh the damn line so there's actually a reason to buy one.

Mac Pro! Now with severely outdated hardware.

No, until recently there were no new chips nor mobos which would make sense to upgrade to.

#40 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3353 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

View PostHansi, on 24 April 2012 - 12:58 AM, said:

No, until recently there were no new chips nor mobos which would make sense to upgrade to
Sandy Bridge E was released last year, SB-EP last month, and Ivy Bridge E/EP won't be till next year (supposedly). Unless you're saying they'll wait another year (plausible, but bad), the least-bad option would be to go SB-EP ASAP so they're not releasing SB-EP on the eve of IVB-E/P, and hope they won't be this bad next time. Or, like demand seems to be asking for, maybe have a low-end IVB Xeon or even straight IVB option for those who don't want to spend extra for two sockets. Plus 'there are no new chips' is kind of laughable when staring at the 5770 or 5870 they're peddling on these things.

You know, a normal company with less than 110B cash can keep up with new hardware as it comes out, and just swap in the new parts. Having that much cash, and deciding to ship Nehalem parts for two straight years is fully pants-on-head incompetent.