Frost

PowerPC Inside

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5270 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:27 AM

This is a fun little thing. I got a link to this website in a Google search for something totally unrelated, and decided to click on it. I love wracking my brain over things like this, so once I started, I couldn't stop.

What it basically is, is a series of linguistic pattern recognition "problems" such as 24 H in a D, that one being their standard example, which resolves to 24 Hours in a Day. You have to figure out what the phrases are without using any references whatsoever other than your own memory. It autochecks as you type, and the box turns green if you get it right. Some of them have cultural references, some have none. Test #1 has a mix, so if you're not at all familiar with Western culture you may be at a slight disadvantage, though not a huge one.

I spent about an hour and 20 minutes on Test #1. By 5 minutes in, I had 5 answered and no clue what the rest were and figured I must be a low grade moron, at least when it comes to linguistic patterns. But I stuck at it. By 20 minutes in I had 12. At 30 minutes I had 18. 40 minutes I had 20. 50 minutes I had 23. 1 hour I had 26. 1 hour and 20 minutes and I still had 26 and I decided to throw in the towel. I had guesses for all but one of the letters on three of the remaining questions (14, 28, and 30), but I've no idea if I was on the right track or completely off the mark (I'll Google them after this post just to satisfy my own curiosity).

So: Test #1, Final Result 26/33.

Results on PDF (DON'T VIEW YET if you want to try it yourself): Frost Test #1 Results

I might try and do some more of these over the next week and post up my results in a PDF if you're interested. Scout's honor, I will not use Google until I'm willing to finalize my result prior! (Actually I was never a scout, but you get the idea).

You're welcome to do one or all with me just for fun and let me know how you did. Just agree to one condition: "If I cheat and post up results using cheating, I am a giant loser."

For reference, I have had two standardized IQ tests (not internet tests) in my lifetime. Once in my teens (15), on which I scored a 126, and once as an adult (at 26) on which I scored a 142 (though I no longer remember what type they were, so take that into consideration). So if you don't do as well as I did, don't feel bad at all. If you do better than I did, you are a badass mofo and I'd love to see which questions were actually capable of eluding you!

EDIT: So I Googled the answers. My guesses were totally off the mark except for 30. In all my guessing I had the first two letters right numerous times, but never the last (whereas I thought I had the S and A and it was the P that I was missing). D'oh!

The others, now that I know what they were... I'm glad I didn't spend any more time guessing. I never would have gotten them.
Cypher (PowerMac G5 Quad) – 2x2.5 GHz PPC 970MP / 16GB ECC RAM / 1TB WDC Velociraptor, 2TB STX Constellation ES.2 / QuadroFX 4500 512MB
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.2 GHz Ci7 4770K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Crucial M550 M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 3TB STX Barracuda / GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB
Chromium (MacBook Pro Early 2008) – 2.6 GHz C2D T9500 / 4GB RAM / 1TB Crucial M550 / GeForce 8600M GT 512MB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 Titanium) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 480GB OWC Mercury Legacy Pro / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#2 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2712 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

I'm trying it now, just started, seem to be the same spot you were. 5 answered, no idea what the rest are, i'll keep at it

Edit: 15 after i gave up
- Snake

Tulkas - 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 16 GB RAM || ATi 4870  ||  512 GB Crucial M500 + 2 TB WD Black || OS X Mavericks
Odin - Core i3 4150 @ 3.5 GHz || 16 GB RAM || GTX 760  || 120 GB Vertex 4 + 1 TB Seagate SSHD || Win 7 Pro x64

#3 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2223 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:23 AM

MXC as in takeshi's castle?
What is a man?

#4 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:12 AM

I got 22 answers in 15 minutes. Felt pretty good about my speed to that point!

Now, nothing more has come to me for a good 10 more minutes since the last answer.

Edit: Cracked a few more after a while to get the score up to 25. Going to hit the sack now, probably will dream about these puzzles after staring at them for most of the last hour. Fun stuff.

#5 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3097 posts
  • Steam ID:ThainEshKelch

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:00 AM

After guessing one, and realising that you need to know more english, I gave up..
"They're everywhere!"

And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m.

#6 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15853 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:45 AM

View PostIchigo27, on 08 February 2012 - 12:23 AM, said:

MXC as in takeshi's castle?
Yes.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#7 Tibur

Tibur

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

28/33 in perhaps 90 minutes (with a lunch break thrown in - which probably let my unconscious mull the unknowns over a bit).  But the test is definitely biased towards native English speakers and those from areas where English is the principal language.

Upon Googling the ones I missed, two were ones I have no excuse for not getting (i.e. I can't claim cultural or geographic bias).  The other three I would never have gotten, given my cultural/geographic background.

EDIT: Oh, and for some reason, the page would not autocheck as I entered my responses.  So I still had all these red boxes, even when I was absolutely certain I had the correct response typed in.  Anyone else have that issue?

#8 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2712 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

View PostTibur, on 08 February 2012 - 12:21 PM, said:

EDIT: Oh, and for some reason, the page would not autocheck as I entered my responses.  So I still had all these red boxes, even when I was absolutely certain I had the correct response typed in.  Anyone else have that issue?

I had it for one of mine
- Snake

Tulkas - 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 16 GB RAM || ATi 4870  ||  512 GB Crucial M500 + 2 TB WD Black || OS X Mavericks
Odin - Core i3 4150 @ 3.5 GHz || 16 GB RAM || GTX 760  || 120 GB Vertex 4 + 1 TB Seagate SSHD || Win 7 Pro x64