98 replies to this topic

#41 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1191 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:04 PM

Something must be screwy with my system. I've run Permissions Repair and Disk Utility/fsck in Single-User mode, cleared caches and the game refuses to launch in my account. Oddly enough is does launch in my root account and although it appears to save games once I completely quit and relaunch RAGE there are NO save game files although it's saved my game settings! This is the only game giving me trouble and I'm at a loss trying to troubleshoot it! It leaves ZERO trace of what occurred in Console.app  I've run the 10.7.3 Combo update installer several times and I've no Time Machine set up to backtrack to 10.7.2

Odd as heck!
OS X 10.10.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3520 2.66GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GTX680 2GB

#42 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 06 February 2012 - 01:04 PM, said:

Something must be screwy with my system. I've run Permissions Repair and Disk Utility/fsck in Single-User mode, cleared caches and the game refuses to launch in my account. Oddly enough is does launch in my root account and although it appears to save games once I completely quit and relaunch RAGE there are NO save game files although it's saved my game settings! This is the only game giving me trouble and I'm at a loss trying to troubleshoot it! It leaves ZERO trace of what occurred in Console.app  I've run the 10.7.3 Combo update installer several times and I've no Time Machine set up to backtrack to 10.7.2

Odd as heck!

Check if your language is set to "English" in system prefs - Language & text in you regular account

#43 jeannot

jeannot

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:41 AM

View Postjeannot, on 05 February 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

Do you see any difference when it is enabled? I don't.

The visuals look nice, but aliasing really affects realism, so I'd be great if AA worked. I'm quite sure my GPU could handle it, since the fan doesn't get any louder while I'm playing (I suppose that means GPU usage isn't very high).
I've submitted the issue to Aspyr support.  :unsure:
I got  a reply from Aspyr. AA is not supported yet, but they're working on a patch.

#44 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:57 AM

Thanks for checking I was wondering if it was my settings or eyes!

#45 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7163 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:09 PM

View PostWumpus, on 04 February 2012 - 11:36 AM, said:

Otherwise its not stupid at all. Aspyr doesn't have its own hosting service for gaming, there's very few people who do unless you are Blizzard or Valve. A large majority of multiplayer gaming uses 3rd party services such as Gears for windows live, Steam, Gamespy, etc. And Rage isn't on GameRanger.

If you are expecting Aspyr to magically host all MP games then I think your expectations need revising in a more realistic fashion and accept that the version of Rage we have on Mac is the best one possible.
No one in sane mind would expect Asypr to host the multiplayer service themselves, but many Mac ports replaced the original service by something else, mostly Gameranger, like Age of Empires III, Borderlands, Empire at War (I think), Battlestations Midway and Battlestations Pacific, Dirt 2.... And most games haven't been on GameRanger before the Mac version was released. And if I recall correctly, Aspyr already replaced Steam as multiplayer service in the MAS version of Duke Nukem Forever with something else (Gamespy?).

Of course it's possible that there were valid reasons why something like this wasn't possible for RAGE, but it wouldn't have been without precedent, so not unrealistically to expect.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#46 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1191 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:00 AM

View Postmattw, on 06 February 2012 - 01:33 PM, said:

Check if your language is set to "English" in system prefs - Language & text in you regular account

THIS WAS IT!!!

I had it set to U.S. English, not English... and THIS gave me all these headaches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS. WAS. IT! I created a new user account just to run this game and this was it!?!?!?
:blink:
OS X 10.10.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3520 2.66GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GTX680 2GB

#47 ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data

Positronic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:25 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 05 February 2012 - 11:52 PM, said:

I poked around the .app file and saw no mention of OpenCL and I also can't enable texture transcoding with my ATI GPU.. so no. I did find CUDA dylibs though... so that option may be available for nvidia users just as it is in windows.

Either way though it seems RAGE performs better for AMD\ATI users in OS X rather than in windows and in fact the performance here was very competitive with my gaming PC in fact it seems somewhat faster since I was able to race easier.
So I got confirmation from Aspyr that there is no OpenCL or CUDA acceleration in the Mac version. What's more, the Mac version doesn't have the recent 1.2 patch, which makes the good performance we're seeing all the more interesting. They are working to port the 1.2 patch so things should hopefully get even better soon.

#48 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1191 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:04 AM

I was searching for ways to tweak RAGE and ran into an old page to "unlock" the high resolution textures. It includes creating the file and editing the values for the following variables in rageconfig.cfg  Oddly enough the file already exists and has the values set to what is suggested for those whom have 1.5GB VRAM, suggesting double the value if you've a card with 3GB VRAM.

vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192
vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 8192
vt_restart
vt_maxaniso 4
image_anisotropy 4

Another variable I find interesting here is r_useMultisampledDefaultFBO While nothing comes up for this in Google there are references to the FBO; OpenGL Frame Buffer Objects. The default value is "1" but I assume this is only a "Yes/No" "1/0" option.

video.cfg contains garbled text as does profile.cfg, although some of it can be made out its nothing editable.

EDIT: ...tried doubling those numbers and locking the file. Don't do it. :nods: UNPLAYABLE.

#49 jeannot

jeannot

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:00 AM

Rageconfig.cfg is editable, and changes are taken into account when you launch the game, but the file reverts to its default when you quit playing. Is there a workaround?

I'd like to skip over the introduction videos. Why can't I skip over them by just hitting a key? That's tedious.  :glare:

Regarding the 1.2 patch. It's not performance-oriented, is it?

#50 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3233 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:16 AM

View Postltcommander.data, on 08 February 2012 - 05:25 PM, said:

So I got confirmation from Aspyr that there is no OpenCL or CUDA acceleration in the Mac version. What's more, the Mac version doesn't have the recent 1.2 patch, which makes the good performance we're seeing all the more interesting. They are working to port the 1.2 patch so things should hopefully get even better soon.
Well on windows OpenGL isn't supported by microsoft, hardware acceleration for it is only via third party drivers and especially with ATI is notoriously bad... the ATI OpenGL causes problems for lots of OpenGL apps not just RAGE. For example eduke32.. and people at duke4 are biased against ATI for that reason... also modeling packages. Nowadays most games on windows use Direct3D so it's not noticeable with other games. I've noticed for example I never had the same problems with eduke32 in OS X which others have with it in Windows... although there was a memory leak problem that seemed to be fixed when they fixed some problems it had in windows.. but they where having a different set of problems which was fixed by those fixes oddly enough.

It's strange that aspyr would have cuda files in the .app file and not even have it available for nvidia users... which... on windows it's also only available for. CUDA is nvidia specific after all. For some reason I thought it was dylibs but it's .cu files in the resources folder... and again RAGE doesn't support OpenCL even in Windows and from what I read the kind of support they use with CUDA isn't copy and pastable to OpenCL anyway... from what I hear you can't just for example make a wrapper because they work very differently.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#51 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1191 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:42 AM

Also, a little tip I found out about for those seeing the shadows with a greenish tinge–lower the gamma in-game. Its a little tougher to make out details in those corners but the contrast adds to the look of the environments, especially indoors I feel.

#52 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3024 posts
  • Steam ID:ThainEshKelch

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:16 AM

View Postjeannot, on 09 February 2012 - 02:00 AM, said:

Rageconfig.cfg is editable, and changes are taken into account when you launch the game, but the file reverts to its default when you quit playing. Is there a workaround?

I'd like to skip over the introduction videos. Why can't I skip over them by just hitting a key? That's tedious.  :glare:

Regarding the 1.2 patch. It's not performance-oriented, is it?
Try and lock the file after you've edited it?
"They're everywhere!"

And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m.

#53 jeannot

jeannot

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:32 AM

But then I won't be able to change settings in game, in particular key binding.

#54 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7163 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:51 AM

View Postjeannot, on 09 February 2012 - 02:00 AM, said:

I think that is a limitation enforced by the Mac App Store. To prevent potentially malicious hacking of the apps bought there, it seems that the integrity of the application bundle is checked and changes – as far as possible – reverted. In general not a bad idea, but counterproductive for games where you'd sometimes want to edit config files to improve the performance and/or tweak other things. I ran into the same problem with Jedi Knight II.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#55 jeannot

jeannot

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:00 AM

The file I edit is not in the App bundle. It's in the preferences folder. Plus, this file must change when you edit settings within the game. Otherwise, you will be constrained to the default settings.
It just seems that the file is rewritten from scratch each time, based on the in-game settings. Since there's no in-game setting to enable the console (for instance), "seta com_allowConsole "1" "  will not be rewritten in the config file, and you will lose the console the next time you launch the game  :(
But you can change the AA settings by editing the config file, and these will stay (since they are available in the game menu).

EDIT: in doom 3, you would add your custom setting to "autoexe.cfg", which is an optional file that is not modified by the game.

#56 jeannot

jeannot

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:22 AM

I found it. THe file to edit is "default.cfg" in the base folder of the application bundle.
But still, I can't skip over the intro video. The command "set com_skipIntroVideo 1" doesn't work.  :angry:
(I'll try to remove the videos from the app and see what it does).

EDIT: Haha! It worked!  :happy:

#57 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1191 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:49 AM

View Postjeannot, on 10 February 2012 - 03:22 AM, said:

Really? Shhh... let's hope an update doesn't kill your app because of removed resources, I hope you kept them around or just renamed them but thanks for letting us know because its annoying. At least I can skip it in Doom 3... that reminds me, having been snatched up by Bethesda, I practically decided to give up an a Mac version of this game.

Have a great day.

#58 jeannot

jeannot

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:07 AM

Good advice. I just put the videos in my Movies folder.

#59 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

View Postjeannot, on 10 February 2012 - 03:22 AM, said:

But still, I can't skip over the intro video. The command "set com_skipIntroVideo 1" doesn't work.  :angry:
(I'll try to remove the videos from the app and see what it does).

View Postjeannot, on 10 February 2012 - 10:07 AM, said:

Good advice. I just put the videos in my Movies folder.

If any of you had read my Rage Tips on release day you would have seen I have this tip at the end under "other" :P
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#60 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1191 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:39 AM

View PostWumpus, on 10 February 2012 - 02:24 PM, said:

If any of you had read my Rage Tips on release day you would have seen I have this tip at the end under "other" :P

On release day? While we're all busy downloading it!? :o