123 replies to this topic

#21 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1438 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:54 AM

RAGE is available from MacGameStore.com, at this point I wish I'd waited... but, alas, 'tis only hindsight which is 20/20.

EDIT: Just RE-downloaded and RE-installed from Mac App Store... double-click... NOTHING, does NOTHING! Maybe that 10.7.3 Combo Update killed it?

ARRRGH!!!
:bleedingeyes:
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#22 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:17 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 03 February 2012 - 04:54 AM, said:

RAGE is available from MacGameStore.com, at this point I wish I'd waited... but, alas, 'tis only hindsight which is 20/20.

EDIT: Just RE-downloaded and RE-installed from Mac App Store... double-click... NOTHING, does NOTHING! Maybe that 10.7.3 Combo Update killed it?

ARRRGH!!!
Do you mean it downloads and installs fine, but when you try to open the game nothing happens?

For me I'd always get this launcher screen asking if i wanted fullscreen or windowed mode and then play/exit. I'm running 10.7.2...could update to 10.7.3 and test it out. Then again it could be unique to your computer somehow. I noticed some reviews on the app store for Rage so people have successfully gotten it.

Otherwise I suggest you contact Aspyr support and go from there. I'm sure you can get it sorted out soon enough and will be happily roaming the wasteland.

P.S. maybe a stupid question, but what's your video card?
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#23 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1438 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:30 PM

Yes... installs fine but doesn't get past the icon teasing me in the Dock momentarily before quitting.

Video card... Radeon HD 5870 (genuine, non-flashed). I've already opened a ticket and just responded to an Aspyr Support email with my system profile. In Console.app I keep getting some output along the lines of 2/3/12 2:28:04.642 PM com.apple.SecurityServer: Session 100011 created
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#24 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Steam Name:ikir

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

It works like a charm! I think it uses Lion OpenGL 3.x and it is uber fast!
ikir's personal page
MacBook Pro 13" 2016 i5 2,9Ghz - 8GB RAM - 512GB SSD
Thunderbolt 3 eGPU Radeon Nitro+ RX 480 4GB
LG 34UM95 Ultrawide Thunderbolt
Steelseries Rival 300, Steelseries Siberia v3Prism, Logitech K811

#25 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:33 PM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 03 February 2012 - 01:30 PM, said:

Yes... installs fine but doesn't get past the icon teasing me in the Dock momentarily before quitting.

Video card... Radeon HD 5870 (genuine, non-flashed). I've already opened a ticket and just responded to an Aspyr Support email with my system profile. In Console.app I keep getting some output along the lines of 2/3/12 2:28:04.642 PM com.apple.SecurityServer: Session 100011 created
I have the 5870 in my iMac...no troubles here. Must be something with your system or install.
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)

#26 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1438 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:19 PM

Got a refund from Apple, downloading from macgamestore right now... slow as well. God willing this works... by the downloaders' estimation this should be done just in time for me to be late for work tomorrow. :bleedingeyes:

#27 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:19 AM

View PostWumpus, on 02 February 2012 - 11:39 PM, said:

BioShock 2 has the multiplayer elements in it, however you have to play it over Gameranger.

Rage's case was specific, and if you'd read the interview that also came out this morning you will have seen that Aspyr stated Rage for Mac wasn't possible to do on Steam. All the MP runs through Steam..so no Steam...no multiplayer in Rage.

WHAT THE frak???

this is the stupidest excuse I ever heard.  Such crap one can only pull with Mac users.
Well, that killed it entirely.
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

8 - iPhone SE, 16GB
7- iPad Pro 12.9", WiFi 128GB
6- MacMini 7,1: i5@2.6GHZ, 8GB, Intel Iris (5100)
5- iPad Air, 16Gb
4- MacBook Pro 8,1:  i5@2.3GHz, intel HD3000, 8GB RAM
3- iPad 2, 16GB
2- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB
1- MacBook 1,1, 1,83GHz, intel GMA950, 2GB RAM
-> The (nearly) ultimate intel HD 3000 gaming performance sheet <-

#28 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:36 AM

View Postmindnoise, on 04 February 2012 - 04:19 AM, said:

WHAT THE frak???

this is the stupidest excuse I ever heard.  Such crap one can only pull with Mac users.
Well, that killed it entirely.
While the MP would be nice to have...its definitely not the game's selling point, and its not that good. The racing is pretty fun granted, but the co-op stuff is only so entertaining. Rage is primarily a single player game, and having only that on the Mac i don't think is much of a loss, especially since we get the Anarchy edition items and DLC at no extra cost.

Otherwise its not stupid at all. Aspyr doesn't have its own hosting service for gaming, there's very few people who do unless you are Blizzard or Valve. A large majority of multiplayer gaming uses 3rd party services such as Gears for windows live, Steam, Gamespy, etc. And Rage isn't on GameRanger.

If you are expecting Aspyr to magically host all MP games then I think your expectations need revising in a more realistic fashion and accept that the version of Rage we have on Mac is the best one possible.

#29 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

View PostWumpus, on 04 February 2012 - 11:36 AM, said:

we get the Anarchy edition items and DLC at no extra cost
Aren't the sewer levels the ones that Bethesda only charges for on used copies? Thanks, I guess.

Aspyr doesn't have its own hosting service for gaming, there's very few people who do unless you are Blizzard or Valve
When has id's publisher ever hosted anything, except maybe a handful of pubbie servers? They're been self or dedicated servers going back to Doom. A master server list is a tiny expense, and AFAIN id still hosts one for all the Quakes, since one server can pretty much handle any and all kinds of games for thousands of players, of which RAGE has some tiny fraction of interest. Heck, add matchmaking and you'd have the equivalent load and userbase/accounts of a nice game forum that id probably has already.

a large majority of multiplayer gaming uses 3rd party services such as Gears for windows live, Steam, Gamesp, etc. And Rage isn't on GameRanger
They don't host any games, and running one master server for the newest game pretty much gives you one that can incidentally handle every other game for free, since your users move on as fast or faster than you do.

If you are expecting Aspyr to magically host all MP games
Then you're quite the straw man.

#30 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1438 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:47 PM

Just got back from work getting my W-2 and picking up the wife and continued downloading RAGE... this darn thing is TOPPING OUT at 122KB/s!!! What gives!? :wall: This will take over a day!!!!!

#31 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:47 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 04 February 2012 - 10:47 PM, said:

Just got back from work getting my W-2 and picking up the wife and continued downloading RAGE... this darn thing is TOPPING OUT at 122KB/s!!! What gives!? :wall: This will take over a day!!!!!

What game where you trying to download again?

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#32 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Steam Name:ikir

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:05 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 03 February 2012 - 04:54 AM, said:

ARRRGH!!!

Downloaded and lunched the first time with 10.7.3 without any issues, i really can't believe how well it runs really. It must be something in your system. Try to repair permission or create a new users and try there.
ikir's personal page
MacBook Pro 13" 2016 i5 2,9Ghz - 8GB RAM - 512GB SSD
Thunderbolt 3 eGPU Radeon Nitro+ RX 480 4GB
LG 34UM95 Ultrawide Thunderbolt
Steelseries Rival 300, Steelseries Siberia v3Prism, Logitech K811

#33 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:17 AM

Well I talked myself into buying it now rather than waiting for a sale and it took overnight to complete the download. The Downloader app is a bit buggy, especially if you move the window around and now and again it caused other applications to stop responding to inputs. I had to force quit it a couple of times to sort that out.

Once I copied the app to my games folder and launched it I entered my serial number only for it to quit with no error message on screen or in the console. I tried logging in to my admin account and the game ran OK. After a little searching on Aspyr's site I found out why it wouldn't run in my normal account - you have to have the language set it "English" in system preferences. Hopefully they will fix this bug with a patch as I can only imagine how annoying it must be for others with a non-English first language. You have to logout to make the change.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.13.1

#34 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:36 AM

Hey, I got the game from the App Store.

It runs decently, with some texture popping here and there, especially when I look back and turn around.
It's probably not hitting the 60 fps due to my underpowered CPU (I have a 2006 Mac Pro), since performance isn't affected by screen resolution. I don't even hear the GPU fan.
It's better for me to disable Vsync (the absence of triple buffering on the Mac limits performance to fractions of 60 fps, probably 30 fps in my case).

Anti-alisaing doesn't work (radeon 4870). Has anyone tried to enable it?

#35 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:27 AM

View Postjeannot, on 05 February 2012 - 06:36 AM, said:

Anti-alisaing doesn't work (radeon 4870). Has anyone tried to enable it?

I have it set to 4x in the options (Radeon 5870) but there are still some jagged pixels on fences etc. I turned on V-Sync as there was a fair bit of tearing going on. To be honest given the hype about the game engine I was expecting to be more impressed with the graphics but it just seems similar to other recent titles like Batman etc.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.13.1

#36 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:27 AM

View Postmattw, on 05 February 2012 - 09:27 AM, said:

I have it set to 4x in the options (Radeon 5870) but there are still some jagged pixels on fences etc. I turned on V-Sync as there was a fair bit of tearing going on. To be honest given the hype about the game engine I was expecting to be more impressed with the graphics but it just seems similar to other recent titles like Batman etc.
I pre-ordered this on PC and aside from the totally buggered PC launch, I too remained unimpressed at first. I was like *this* is the new tech 5 engine I'm supposed to be blown away by? This constant texture streaming lag is a joke! UT3 looks better.

As I played the game more, I started to appreciate it better. I also got my hands on the pre-release Mac copy (I did the review) so I was able to compare performance. It actually runs better in OSX for me with much less texture streaming playing catch-up. Its still there, but now not really noticeable. On the PC it was a constant annoyance.

But what I came to appreciate, and its certainly a more subtle effect rather than *wow my eyeballs* type of dazzling, is the variety and level of detail in texturing. (To be fair this is what they most often talk about in relation to id tech 5.)  But really, play through Rage then load up Borderlands, Fallout 3, or even a recent Unreal Engine game. You'll start the notice the significant lack of varied textures. Sure they are there, but not in the same way. And for me, it makes me want them because the world feels more grounded and real. More unpredictable in the worlds structure. (Not talking about linearity because Rage is very guilty of that.) I mean looking at a level and being able to tell "they only used so many colors/textures/shapes here." To me Rage's world feels more organic because of it, rather than feeling limited or constrained in its construction. The 3rd act of Rage impressed me the most and its what i wish the rest of the game was like. You'll see when you get there.

So my point is, I think the wow factor in id tech 5 is of a different sort than you would expect, or is immediately obvious. You also have to have a higher end machine to appreciate it I think.

#37 mangoman

mangoman

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

Bought it through the App Store, and am really impressed with the visuals. Deep? No, but so what. It's fun! Now...who's got cheat codes? :)

#38 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:53 AM

View Postmattw, on 05 February 2012 - 09:27 AM, said:

I have it set to 4x in the options (Radeon 5870) but there are still some jagged pixels on fences etc.
Do you see any difference when it is enabled? I don't.

The visuals look nice, but aliasing really affects realism, so I'd be great if AA worked. I'm quite sure my GPU could handle it, since the fan doesn't get any louder while I'm playing (I suppose that means GPU usage isn't very high).
I've submitted the issue to Aspyr support.  :unsure:

#39 ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data

Positronic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

View PostWumpus, on 05 February 2012 - 10:27 AM, said:

I pre-ordered this on PC and aside from the totally buggered PC launch, I too remained unimpressed at first. I was like *this* is the new tech 5 engine I'm supposed to be blown away by? This constant texture streaming lag is a joke! UT3 looks better.
I don't think RAGE is the best reflection of what id Tech 5 is capable of. If I'm not mistaken, for RAGE they wanted to go for fast twitch response and smoothness over best graphical effects so the game is optimized to maintain 60 fps as much as possible on all platforms, dynamically lowering graphics quality in complex scenes to prevent the frame rate from dipping. Carmack said that the source textures don't have much more detail than what they shipped which is why they are going with an upsample post-effect to improve texture quality rather than release a high-resolution texture pack. With locked 60 fps as the design target, they probably didn't develop any super-high quality graphical assets because few if any GPUs could handle it without dipping below 60 fps. For Doom 4, the design target is the more standard 30 fps, which should give them a lot more GPU power to use toward graphical quality. That should be the true test of id Tech 5's ability to provide a visual spectacle. Admittedly, moving from the large environments of RAGE to the presumably corridor shooter focus of Doom 4 already makes a big difference in freeing up the GPU.

On PC, texture decompression can be optionally accelerated by CUDA. id's tech talks mentioned they were also researching OpenCL during RAGE development. Does anyone know if OpenCL texture decompression has been implemented in Mac RAGE? That might explain the better texture streaming performance on Mac, at least for ATI GPUs which otherwise wouldn't be utilized for texture decompression on Windows. At the very least, did CUDA acceleration make it over?

#40 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:52 PM

I poked around the .app file and saw no mention of OpenCL and I also can't enable texture transcoding with my ATI GPU.. so no. I did find CUDA dylibs though... so that option may be available for nvidia users just as it is in windows.

Either way though it seems RAGE performs better for AMD\ATI users in OS X rather than in windows and in fact the performance here was very competitive with my gaming PC in fact it seems somewhat faster since I was able to race easier.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7