31 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8621 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:44 AM

Aspyr Media and id Software have released Rage: Campaign Edition for Mac. The post-apocalyptic action game combines elements of racing and shooting titles with a dash of role playing thrown in for good measure. The Campaign Edition also includes bonus equipment from the Anarchy Edition and the bonus Wasteland Sewers Missions.

Can you survive the Wasteland?!

From the makers of Doom and Quake, RAGE is a groundbreaking first-person shooter set in the not-too-distant future after an asteroid impacts Earth, leaving a ravaged world behind. You emerge into this vast wasteland to discover humanity working to rebuild itself against such forces as bandit gangs, mutants, and the Authority Ė an oppressive government regime that has a special interest in you in particular. Featuring intense first-person shooter action, breakneck vehicle combat, an expansive world to explore and jaw-dropping graphics powered by idís revolutionary id Techģ 5 technology, RAGE promises an experience like no other.

RAGE: Campaign Edition features the full, unaltered RAGE single-player campaign; bonus equipment formerly exclusive to the Anarchy Edition, including double barrel shotgun, rat rod buggy, fists of rage, and crimson elite armor; and the bonus Wasteland Sewers Missions.

Features:
  • Visceral 1st-person gunplay and exploration: Take on bandit gangs and hordes of mutants using an arsenal of exotic weapons and special items, such as Wingsticks, personal turrets, sentry bots, and remote-controlled bomb cars.
  • Frenetic 3rd-person vehicular mayhem: Burn rubber across the wasteland in your very own super buggy! Upgrade and customize your car with special parts, paint jobs and weapons, then test your skills as you battle four-wheeling bandit clans and participate in deadly races.
  • An expansive experience: Beyond the first-person action and vehicle combat, RAGE offers a world open to explore, with unique characters, side quests, and a compelling storyline.
  • Graphics that have to be seen to be believed: Powered by idís cutting-edge new id Tech 5 engine, new Megatexture technology brings the vast wasteland to life in never-before-possible detail.
  • Bonus Content: The Wasteland Sewer Missions and Anarchy additional content are included in the Mac release!
Requirements:
  • Operating System: 10.7.2 (Lion)
  • CPU Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo (Dual-Core)
  • CPU Speed: 2.4 GHz
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM
  • Hard Disk Space: 25 GB
  • Video Card (ATI): Radeon HD 3870
  • Video Card (NVidia): Geforce 8800
  • Video Memory (VRam): 256MB
  • Peripherals: Macintosh mouse and keyboard
  • Supported Video Cards
      NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800
      NVIDIA GEFORCE 9600
      NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 120
      NVIDIA GEFORCE 330M
      ATI RADEON HD 3870
      ATI RADEON HD 4670
      ATI RADEON HD 4850
      ATI RADEON HD 5670
      ATI RADEON HD 5750
      ATI RADEON HD 5770
      ATI RADEON HD 5870
      ATI RADEON HD 6630M
      ATI RADEON HD 6750M
      ATI RADEON HD 6970M
      Intel HD Graphics 3000
  • Not Supported:
      Integrated video chipsets are not supported (GMA 950 Mac Mini(2006,2007), iMac(2006), Macbook(2006,2007), GMA X3100 Macbook(2007,2008), MacBook Air(2008-2011))
      NOTICE: Apple Intel Chipsets only.
      NOTICE: This game is not supported on volumes formatted as Mac OS Extended (Case Sensitive)
Rage: Campaign Edition is available now for $39.99 (USD).
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7249 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:50 AM

View PostIMG News, on 02 February 2012 - 02:44 AM, said:

Operating System: 10.7.2 (Lion)
That's a first. OpenGL 3.2, I presume?

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7249 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:29 AM

It's also up on the Mac App Store.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#4 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1437 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:09 AM

Interestingly enough Rage runs better in OSX than in does in Windows 7 for me using the same computer. There's less of the streaming texture lag that is so bothersome.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#5 ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data

Positronic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:22 AM

I wonder if multiplayer and co-op are ever going to come to Mac?

#6 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1437 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:30 AM

View Postltcommander.data, on 02 February 2012 - 11:22 AM, said:

I wonder if multiplayer and co-op are ever going to come to Mac?
All the multiplayer on PC runs through Steam and Rage isn't going to be seeing a Steam release...So very unlikely it will ever get it. If you read the interview you will see Elizabeth says "RAGE Mac does not support SteamPlay or SteamWorks.  Because of the business model and licensing requirements of SteamPlay and SteamWorks, we're unable to support either for RAGE Mac at this time."

Would be nice but doubtful. That being said, I wonder what the console releases use for multiplayer hosting? It would be interesting if Mac Rage could at least get a GameRanger option.

Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)

#7 ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data

Positronic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:36 AM

View PostWumpus, on 02 February 2012 - 11:30 AM, said:

All the multiplayer on PC runs through Steam and Rage isn't going to be seeing a Steam release...So very unlikely it will ever get it. If you read the interview you will see Elizabeth says "RAGE Mac does not support SteamPlay or SteamWorks.  Because of the business model and licensing requirements of SteamPlay and SteamWorks, we're unable to support either for RAGE Mac at this time."

Would be nice but doubtful. That being said, I wonder what the console releases use for multiplayer hosting? It would be interesting if Mac Rage could at least get a GameRanger option.

I'm hanging onto the "at this time". Seeing Aspyr has other SteamPlay titles, it's too bad they couldn't work something out here.

#8 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • Steam Name:ikir

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:54 PM

Downloading from Mac App Store right now!! Finally!
ikir's personal page
MacBook pro 13" retina 2013
i5 2,6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Iris graphics
Madcatz R.A.T. MMO7, Logitech K811

#9 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

Shyte... still unavailable in France's mac app store... :bleedingeyes:

#10 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:50 PM

Bit random that the 4870 isn't listed - is that an issue ?

#11 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1437 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:02 PM

4850 is listed so I'm quite sure the 4870 would be supported given its higher.

#12 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:15 PM

Damn.. i wonder will the version on the French Mac APP Store store only the french version and voices ?

Is Aspyr's Game Agent any better or worse than the Mac App Store ?

#13 ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data

Positronic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

View PostSargiel, on 02 February 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

Bit random that the 4870 isn't listed - is that an issue ?
I think the GPUs that Aspyr explicitly list are ones that they've actually tested and guarantee to work. However, as long as the GPU is above the minimum requirements which the HD4870 is, then it shouldn't be a problem.

#14 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1216 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

Downloading now from Mac App Store... SLOW. AS. MOLASSES!!! Try GameAgent if you can... unless they're all downloading RAGE. I really don't care about the multiplayer for this, I enjoy Borderlands playing at my own pace and never even tried MultiPlayer... but that's jussme.

Edit: I just realized that Apple released OS X 10.7.3 End User and Server updates, a security update, a Safari update, etc... *ugh*

Edit 2: Circa 01:40EST just started getting a solid 1.8MB/s throughput

OS X 10.10.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GTX680 2GB

#15 andrewlennox

andrewlennox

Fan

• IMG Writers
  • 47 posts
  • Steam Name:lenntheox

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:45 PM

WOW, what a pleasant surprise. I knew something was coming out from Aspyr today but I didn't think this would be it.

Can't wait to see what else comes out for the mac in 2012 :)
Andrew Lennox
Writer, Inside Mac Games
http://andrewlennox.tumblr.com/

#16 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:18 AM

Nuts.  Sounds like the 8600M in my MBP is not going to be enough, even with the 512 MB of VRAM.  If anyone tries it, let us know how it worked.
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#17 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:33 AM

View PostiRolley, on 02 February 2012 - 02:15 PM, said:

Damn.. i wonder will the version on the French Mac APP Store store only the french version and voices ?

Is Aspyr's Game Agent any better or worse than the Mac App Store ?

Personally I couldn't accept the DRM - at least with the Mac App Store you aren't tied to the Mac you own today. I like to play games again after upgrading to a newer Mac.

#18 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:26 AM

View Postclocknova, on 03 February 2012 - 08:18 AM, said:

Nuts.  Sounds like the 8600M in my MBP is not going to be enough, even with the 512 MB of VRAM.  If anyone tries it, let us know how it worked.

Well, someone's played it on PC with an 8600M GT, and managed to get to the end...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#19 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • Steam Name:ikir

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:48 PM

It runs great on my iMac all to max in 2560x1440! NICE PORT ASPYR!
ikir's personal page
MacBook pro 13" retina 2013
i5 2,6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Iris graphics
Madcatz R.A.T. MMO7, Logitech K811

#20 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7249 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:35 AM

Just tried it for a couple of minutes on my shiny new AMD Mac mini: runs absolutely smooth at 1280x720 at the default settings (going to tinker around to find its limits later), but looooots of texture popping. :glare: