9 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8105 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:15 AM

Sony Online Entertainment recently announced that its aging MMO, EverQuest, will soon shift from a subscription based model to a free-to-play experience. Unfortunately for users still playing the unsupported Mac version of the game, the announcement brings news that the Mac server will close forever when EverQuest goes F2P on March 29.

In a forum post SOE president John Smedley offered his apologies to Mac players, and announced a new poll on the EverQuest forums intended to reveal if there is enough interest to warrant the effort of creating a new Mac port of the current version of EverQuest.

Dear EQ Mac fans,

I'm truly sorry we're having to sunset this. I realize the players on the Al'Kabor server are extremely passionate. You should also know I'm personally a Mac (and Apple) fanatic, so it breaks my heart to have to do this. I've seen your emails and I sincerely appreciate you sending them to me. I've read them all. I'm posting here to reply because I don't want you to go unanswered.

I wanted to give you a little more information as to why we had to make this decision. So here are the reasons.
  • It uses a very old codebase that only one of our programmers knows. The simple truth is that's not something we can allow. We can't have a single point of failure and in this case we have one.

• The user population is very small and it makes justifying adding additional coding resources hard.

• The mac port is not particulary something we're proud of. The stuff we've done on Free Realms with Transgaming is far superior. Everquest was never designed to be a Mac game, and years ago we tried this and it never took off. Back when we did the port, Mac wasn't the hotness that it is now.

• Why don't we give the players the source code and let you do it? Simply put - it's got too many proprietary things to make that feasible. We just can't do it.
What I will commit to is the following -

We will do a poll asking the question if people would consider using a Mac version of the CURRENT game (there is no way we would consider leaving the codebase as it is now.. it's impossible to maintain the way it is). If the response is large enough we will consider doing a proper mac port. I don't want this to be viewed as anything other than a commitment to running the poll. This isn't to placate you. I respect you too much for that. It's simply to look for a business case for doing this. We'll let you know our decision after running that poll.

Thank you for your years of playing the Mac version.
Read more at the links below.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2198 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:58 PM

As to how many people played the mac version of everquest I wonder. Didn't seem like the type of game that would be interesting enough to play after 3 months.
What is a man?

#3 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1428 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:14 PM

To be honest I didn't even know there was a mac version. But then again I don't closely follow MMO's.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#4 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2198 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

View PostWumpus, on 01 February 2012 - 03:14 PM, said:

To be honest I didn't even know there was a mac version. But then again I don't closely follow MMO's.

I remember hearing about the mac version, but SOE mentioned something about how it was limited to mac to mac servers as oppose to windows and mac. Plus no free trial. Don't get the concept of paying a monthly fee to play a MMO. Most trials I played were boring.
What is a man?

#5 Frost

Frost

PowerPC Inside

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4931 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:54 PM

View PostIchigo27, on 01 February 2012 - 02:58 PM, said:

As to how many people played the mac version of everquest I wonder. Didn't seem like the type of game that would be interesting enough to play after 3 months.
It wasn't, I was one of the testers for it. I was hooked after a day, but by day 5 I had reached the point where I was bored to death. By the time it shipped I wanted to commit suicide. I dunno how that game was so successful. I guess different people have different tastes, and I apparently am NOT an MMO person.
Cypher (PowerMac G5 Quad) – 2x2.5 GHz PPC 970MP / 16GB ECC RAM / 1TB WDC Velociraptor, 2TB STX Constellation ES.2 / QuadroFX 4500 512MB
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.2 GHz Ci7 4770K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Crucial M550 M.2, 3TB STX Barracuda / GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB
Chromium (MacBook Pro Early 2008) – 2.6 GHz C2D T9500 / 4GB RAM / 960GB Crucial M500 / GeForce 8600M GT 512MB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 Titanium) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 480GB OWC Mercury Legacy Pro / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#6 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 1973 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:41 AM

View PostFrost, on 01 February 2012 - 07:54 PM, said:

I apparently am NOT an MMO person.

Lucky you. I stay away from them because I'm pretty sure it would take me months if not years for me to come up for air.

Given the limitations of the Mac version of EQ and its small audience, I'm really impressed that they kept it going this long. I remember once they had some Mac players in to visit their headquarters as well, to get their feedback and to try and patch up some bad feelings in the community about the port's lagging patches. It's a shame it's ending, but I have nothing but respect for the way they handled it.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#7 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1171 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:14 PM

People still play this?
OS X 10.9.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3520 2.66GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GTX680 2GB

#8 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

BANNED

• Admin
  • 2760 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:13 AM

Oh boo hoo, the self righteous mac gamer won't be able to play a game they thought they were too good to play in the first place.

No big loss. Plus, its SOE, who gives a flying fire truck of poodoo. They should just close their doors entirely and take it in the ass of which they deserve.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#9 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2198 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

View PostFrigidman, on 03 February 2012 - 09:13 AM, said:

No big loss. Plus, its SOE, who gives a flying fire truck of poodoo.

A few hundred thousand people who still play SOE MMOs. Don't think theirs as many people playing SOE brand MMOs as WoW.
What is a man?

#10 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3347 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:32 PM

View PostIchigo27, on 05 February 2012 - 04:01 PM, said:

A few hundred thousand people who still play SOE MMOs
Hundreds of thousands of users/MMO being the point of such a game, it really hamstrung this Mac port to put the Mac users in the Mac ghetto with the handful of other losers who'd put up with being shunned like that. If it was Blizzard, they would have put them on the same servers as everybody else, and had a Mac client for any customer to switch to, and all the cool kids in college campuses who're mostly buying Macs might consider playing it with all their friends. Heck, officially suggesting and supporting the use of Wine would be about their level of interest, supposedly, but they can't be assed.