7 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:27 AM

1UP.com has published a new article exploring the impact of Blizzard Entertainment's release of the original Diablo. The article's author suggested that the action RPG saved the role playing game genre because "by 1995, the computer role-playing game was dying." The piece also includes a variety of interesting anecdotes about Diablo.

While this new Diablo project intrigued Blizzard executives -- the basic idea of descending a dungeon to hit skeletons and demons had its appeal -- they suggested one significant alteration. Bolstered by the reception to Warcraft, Blizzard advised changing Diablo's combat system from a turn-based one to a real-time one. Funnily enough, Condor co-founder Max Schaefer admitted to Gamespot that the developer initially resisted the suggestion. "We fought that transition for a long time [...] The amount of time we argued about it was totally ridiculous, considering it only took us about three hours to mock the game up in real time," Schaefer stated. He elaborated how a realtime combat system would make Diablo feel too much like an action game, but he concluded, "once we started to play in real-time, it became very apparent we were wrong.[...] We just played it in real time and said, 'OK, right then, this is how it's going to work.'"
For the full article click over to the link below.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3943 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:17 AM

I'd rather say that Baldurs Gate did the job...
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#3 UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:08 PM

Nice revisionist history.

In 1995 the cRPG was dying?  Fallout 1 came out in 1997.  Last I heard that was a kinda successful cRPG, considering I can still walk into Wal-Mart and buy it off the shelf 15 years later.

#4 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:37 AM

Diablo didn't save a genre. It began a genre.

#5 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:34 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 27 January 2012 - 11:17 AM, said:

I'd rather say that Baldurs Gate did the job...

Totally agree.. And there's been lots of articles written which agree with this. At the time it blew everything else out of the water and really brought CRPG's to the game playing population at large.

#6 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3943 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:50 AM

Also, the RPG elements in Diablo isn't such a major part, as the new action genre it defined. It could very well have survived without skills points, and then you have almost no RPG elements left.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#7 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • 3513 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

Diablo is more of a real-time roguelike. Though as the news post itself indicates, it would be called an Action RPG today, because progression = RPG apparently.

In the end, Diablo was just a really good game, and all it really proves is that people want to buy really good games. If its success convinced publishers to invest in RPGs, great, but that doesn't mean it was logical. :)

#8 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6171 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:39 PM

View PostTesseract, on 11 May 2012 - 11:25 AM, said:

Diablo is more of a real-time roguelike. Though as the news post itself indicates, it would be called an Action RPG today, because progression = RPG apparently.
Heh, that's the how I saw Diablo as well. Rogue but with really, really nice graphics and effects. (For example, my guy didn't look like @ the whole time)

I always thought it was supposed to be an RPG because you could swap out equipment and level up and it was a fantasy setting. Not very much, if any, RP to that G though. Unless you count Deckard Cain saying something every few hours of gameplay.

If anything "saved" the CRPG, it was Fallout.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 8086K / 32GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN Xp 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.