Jump to content


Microsoft Flight coming in the Spring for FREE...


  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 andrewlennox

andrewlennox

    Fan

  • IMG Writers
  • 47 posts
  • Steam Name:lenntheox
  • Location:Australia

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:37 AM

As a tech enthusiast I have been following the Consumer Electronic Show (CES) happening in Las Vagas right as I write this. It wasn't until today that I learned that Microsoft Flight it going to be offered for free. That's right FREE. Even though I shudder at the M word being mentioned, nothing beats free games, am I right?  :nods:

Here is a news article further explaining this awesome game coming soon. Here is a beta version being played at CES

What do you guys think of this upcoming game? Is it worth your precious bandwidth?
Andrew Lennox
Writer, Inside Mac Games
http://andrewlennox.tumblr.com/

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

    Jugger Bugger

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan
  • Location:over there

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:20 AM

As I understand that, it's more like free as in "freemium" or "free-to-play". You only get a handful of propeller planes and the rather small area of Hawaii to fly in (I think it's not even clear whether they mean the whole island chain or just a single island). Everything beyond that costs money.

The graphics do look great, though.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"


#3 andrewlennox

andrewlennox

    Fan

  • IMG Writers
  • 47 posts
  • Steam Name:lenntheox
  • Location:Australia

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:19 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 11 January 2012 - 01:20 AM, said:

As I understand that, it's more like free as in "freemium" or "free-to-play". You only get a handful of propeller planes and the rather small area of Hawaii to fly in (I think it's not even clear whether they mean the whole island chain or just a single island). Everything beyond that costs money.

The graphics do look great, though.

Really? Perhaps the "freemium" model that you talk about is Microsofts way to get people's feet wet in this franchise. Hopefully the additions won't be too expensive. Oh well flying around Hawaii is still pretty cool and the graphics do look spectacular  :D .

Have you guys tried any of the old Microsoft Flight Simulators? I have never tried any of them before  :(
Andrew Lennox
Writer, Inside Mac Games
http://andrewlennox.tumblr.com/

#4 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

    All hail Bastet

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:17 AM

View Postandrewlennox, on 11 January 2012 - 12:37 AM, said:

Is it worth your precious bandwidth?

No.

As a licensed pilot (no longer flying) and former control tower jockey (Transport Canada Air Traffic Services employee) I have two words ... X-Plane 10.

If you want a civilian flight sim that NASA, Boeing, Airbus and the Rutan folks all use and trust for it's blade theory simulation of flight, use X-Plane. X-Plane is for those desktop pilots who want to simulate real flight rather than emphasize pretty scenery. That said, X-Plane 10 isn't shabby either in the looks dept these days ... http://www.x-plane.c...op/multimedia/.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi


"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau


#5 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

    Carnage Served Raw

  • Admin
  • 17434 posts
  • Location:Citadel City, Lh'owon
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:01 AM

View Postandrewlennox, on 11 January 2012 - 02:19 AM, said:

Have you guys tried any of the old Microsoft Flight Simulators? I have never tried any of them before  :(
I played a very very VERY old version of MFS on my Fat Mac 512 back in the 80's.  Back then it was black and white wireframe models with the terrain painted in the MacPaint patterned gradients of the day.  Still, the controls worked well and the instruments worked well enough you could fly by instrument only.  It had a normal flying around mode and a combat mode.  In combat mode the world was divided into two parts, friendly and enemy, each with a home base.  You had a wireframe biplane.  If you flew into enemy territory they would send up 5 biplanes to shoot you down.  There was no point keeping or score, you either made it back to base or you didn't.  

I was totally engrossed in the simulator, and bought several FAA manuals on flying during the time I played it.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#6 andrewlennox

andrewlennox

    Fan

  • IMG Writers
  • 47 posts
  • Steam Name:lenntheox
  • Location:Australia

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:34 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on 11 January 2012 - 08:17 AM, said:

No.

As a licensed pilot (no longer flying) and former control tower jockey (Transport Canada Air Traffic Services employee) I have two words ... X-Plane 10.

If you want a civilian flight sim that NASA, Boeing, Airbus and the Rutan folks all use and trust for it's blade theory simulation of flight, use X-Plane. X-Plane is for those desktop pilots who want to simulate real flight rather than emphasize pretty scenery. That said, X-Plane 10 isn't shabby either in the looks dept these days ... http://www.x-plane.c...op/multimedia/.

Wow, A licensed pilot huh? I guess we should listen to your advice  :nods:  I think you might be right though, X-Plane is made by people who live and breath flight simulators. Quite a contrast to what Microsoft does. Perhaps this is a more consumer friendly flight sim, maybe that's why the Xbox 360 controller works with the game so normal people can jump in and play without any hassle. Seems like great starter into flight sims in general though.

That being said, I forgot all about X-Plane existing. I remember a couple of years back wanting this game SOOOO badly  :lol:  Then I guess it dropped to the end of my "to-play" list. Maybe I will try it again in the coming months

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 11 January 2012 - 09:01 AM, said:

I played a very very VERY old version of MFS on my Fat Mac 512 back in the 80's.  Back then it was black and white wireframe models with the terrain painted in the MacPaint patterned gradients of the day.  Still, the controls worked well and the instruments worked well enough you could fly by instrument only.  It had a normal flying around mode and a combat mode.  In combat mode the world was divided into two parts, friendly and enemy, each with a home base.  You had a wireframe biplane.  If you flew into enemy territory they would send up 5 biplanes to shoot you down.  There was no point keeping or score, you either made it back to base or you didn't.  

I was totally engrossed in the simulator, and bought several FAA manuals on flying during the time I played it.

Quite some time ago huh? It's awesome to see how far flight sims have come since then, with the graphics capabilities and range of vehicles to choose from. That game that you mention in combat mode  seems like Ace Combat or Tom Clancy's HAWX . Flying through enemy territory and getting shot down. Sounds very action packed and a lot of fun  :D  I hope more games like that come back soon  :)
Andrew Lennox
Writer, Inside Mac Games
http://andrewlennox.tumblr.com/

#7 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

    Carnage Served Raw

  • Admin
  • 17434 posts
  • Location:Citadel City, Lh'owon
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:29 AM

They were easy to beat, all you had to do was to gain stupid high altitude before entering their territory then shoot at them as they climbed up to engage you.  Even if your engine quit you could still guide back to your base.  But yeah, it was a lot of fun overall.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat