#1 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2510 posts
  • Steam Name:Mister Mumbles

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:33 AM

I'm just wondering what I can/should ask for my iMac (2010 model), which I'll be selling in the very near future. My specs are in my signature, and the iMac itself is in excellent condition. I know that Apple products typically have a high resale value, but I'm unsure about what price to set. I was thinking something around $800-900 (original price was $1499). Any advice would be much appreciated.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#2 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1718 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:40 AM

Sounds about right. I think Everymac.com's street price listing is generally very accurate.

#3 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 1973 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:11 PM

I usually go to eBay and poke around the completed listings. You have to normalize based on condition, shipping and return policy, but it gives you an idea.

If I'm selling something on eBay the market is going to price it for me anyway, so coming up with a value doesn't matter as much, I just look to see what percentage of the auctions are outliers, selling really low or really high. That helps me decide whether to bother with the auction, what to put as the minimum starting bid, and include things in the auction that might make it sell better.

Oddly enough, what I'm usually selling is a broken computer for a friend or relative, but I've usually gotten good prices for them. Even a broken iMac will often sell for hundreds of dollars if you can clearly characterize what's wrong with it.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.