Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:59 PM

Hi all,

Back a few months ago, I sent this to the board:

Overlord 2
Darkspore (assuming the announced Mac version does not materialise)
Alice: Madness Returns
Astro Tripper
Red Faction Armageddon
Hazen the Dark Whispers
Mutant Storm Empire & Mutant Storm Reloaded
Zeit 2
Ion Assault

I would also like to play old Mac games that won't run on 10.6.6 like:
Incredibles When Danger Calls/and Rise of the Underminer
Heavy Metal F.A.K.K. 2
Summoner
others I can't think of offhand....

Now, I came up with another list of Windows games in addition.  I mainly came up with it browsing all demos at Steam.  The new list includes:

-SkyDrift
-Orcs Must Die
-Dungeon Defenders
-Serious Sam Double D
-Xotic
-Space Pirates and Zombies (maybe)
-Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
-Demigod
-Divinity 2{ Dragon Knight Saga
-Capsized
-Bastion (maybe)
-Ancients of Ooga (maybe)
-Alien Breed 3 Descent
-Tommy Tronic (maybe)
-Yars Revenge 2011
Ghostbusters Sanctum of Slime
-Shrek Forever After (maybe)

My questions are: again, will I run into any problems, and, how much space should I give Windows 7, once I am ready.

Thanks,

Jim

#2 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:04 PM

I missed the earlier discussion. What's this for, bootcamp?

Disclaimer: I don't know most of these games. But for the sake of argument, let's pretend each game you listed requires 1 gigabyte (high for most games, though modern AAA games often need more.) That's only 29 gig, total.

So I'd make a partition big enough for whatever is recommended for Windows (16GB I believe) multiplied by four, and that's probably plenty. 64GB.

If you plan to have a lot of *modern* games installed all at the same time, maybe you'd need more. But Steam in particular makes it easy to uninstall and reinstall, so maybe not.

Having said that, my collection of installed Mac games is much larger than 64GB. But that's been accumulating for over 10 years, and includes some installers as well as the installed games. If that's the kind of collection you think you'll end up with, allocate 128 GB or 256 GB. But there are ways to extend and/or clone your bootcamp partition, so it's not the end of the world if your first guess is wrong.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#3 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:30 PM

It depends on how many you want installed at one time. For everything listed 100GB should suffice but if only a few at one time 60GB would be enough. I used 50GB for mine and it just enough since the biggest game I have is RAGE and that on it's own is 25GB, so with Windows + extras it just fits.

#4 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:35 PM

Ya you'll want at least 60 GB with all those games, do you really need them all installed at once though??
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#5 drabyss78

drabyss78

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:55 PM

Hi,

And thanks for all the advice.  I'll probably go with 80-100 GB, since I'd like the space.  There are some on my list I many demo and not care for, but I'd like to have the space. I don't see the point of paying for a game, and them uninstalling it, so to me it makes sense.

I am also thinking about partitioning for Lion, since I won't sacrifice games that run in Rosetta.  Though I can't really get all that excited about Lion.  Looks too tailored to draw in iOS users to me, withing caring at all about OS X users.  Maybe it's just me, but as an OS X user, it makes me feel a little sold out.

#6 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:52 AM

My Bootcamp is 80GB big. I have all my Steam and other games etc - about 500GB - on an external USB2 drive. I have no performance problems disk speed-wise.
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

8 - iPhone SE, 16GB
7- iPad Pro 12.9", WiFi 128GB
6- MacMini 7,1: i5@2.6GHZ, 8GB, Intel Iris (5100)
5- iPad Air, 16Gb
4- MacBook Pro 8,1:  i5@2.3GHz, intel HD3000, 8GB RAM
3- iPad 2, 16GB
2- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB
1- MacBook 1,1, 1,83GHz, intel GMA950, 2GB RAM
-> The (nearly) ultimate intel HD 3000 gaming performance sheet <-