• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2668 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:13 PM

Essentially confirmed that TOR is coming to Mac: Source
- Snake

Tulkas - 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 16 GB RAM || ATi 4870  ||  512 GB Crucial M500 + 2 TB WD Black || OS X Mavericks
Odinheim - Core i3 4150 @ 3.5 GHz || 16 GB RAM || GTX 760  || 120 GB Vertex 4 + 1 TB Seagate SSHD || Win 7 Pro x64

#2 devSin

devSin

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:10 AM

That's a rather... generous interpretation of what they actually said.

#3 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7163 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:31 AM

If it's really coming to the Mac, it will be a Cider "port" anyway. Meh.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#4 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2668 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:19 PM

”We know there’s a big Mac audience of BioWare fans … we know that’s an important and large audience. And we want to serve that audience.”

That quote there seems to me like confirmation. I could be wrong though

And I'll take a cider port over zero port any day of the week
- Snake

Tulkas - 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 16 GB RAM || ATi 4870  ||  512 GB Crucial M500 + 2 TB WD Black || OS X Mavericks
Odinheim - Core i3 4150 @ 3.5 GHz || 16 GB RAM || GTX 760  || 120 GB Vertex 4 + 1 TB Seagate SSHD || Win 7 Pro x64

#5 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1740 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:37 PM

Sounds like a helper iPhone app.

Kidding aside it sounds like corporate PR for "I have no idea but don't want to ruin anyones hopes and piss off anyone".

#6 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Joo

• Admin
  • 2980 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:40 AM

View PostHansi, on 03 January 2012 - 02:37 PM, said:

Kidding aside it sounds like corporate PR for "I have no idea but don't want to ruin anyones hopes and piss off anyone".
Exactly. Until they say they are in fact, and have a beta client to try, then it is all "we hope so, but dont expect it".

That said, the game does rock. That W** thing has nothing on SW:TOR.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#7 Tibur

Tibur

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:33 PM

View PostFrigidman, on 04 January 2012 - 10:40 AM, said:

<snip>
That said, the game does rock. That W** thing has nothing on SW:TOR.
I used to think that way, too, but then I got an email from Blizzard that read: "<waves hand in front of SW:TOR> This is not the MMORPG you're looking for."  So, I told my friends "This isn't the MMORPG we're looking for," and I told SW:TOR to move along.

That being said, if it does come out for the Mac (and I get a Mac capable of running it), I will re-open my weak mind and give it a try.

#8 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2668 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:22 PM

So blizzard, the company who has the most to lose from SW:TOR told you that you woulnt like it, and you believed them?

That's like asking the COD developers over at activision if Battlefield is right for for you, they say no, so you'll never try battlefield
- Snake

#9 Tibur

Tibur

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:20 PM

:unsure:

Are my attempts at humor really that oblique?  

I don't own a PC, so trying SW:TOR is not an option for me unless and until it comes out for the Mac in some usable form.  I will also likely need to upgrade my Mac, too, since I barely meet the system reqs for WoW.  

While I do really like WoW (and Blizzard, though I'm not particularly fond of Activision, and wish Blizzard would/could go it alone), I'm not blindly loyal to anyone or anything, except perhaps my immediate family.  And my alma mater.  And Apple.

#10 devSin

devSin

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

View PostTibur, on 04 January 2012 - 06:20 PM, said:

While I do really like WoW (and Blizzard, though I'm not particularly fond of Activision, and wish Blizzard would/could go it alone)
The only relation Blizzard has to Activision is in both being owned by the same company.

Obviously, there's some corporate overlap, but creatively, Blizzard does "go it alone". There's nobody at Activision can do anything about it, as far as anybody can tell.

#11 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1973 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:04 AM

View PostdevSin, on 04 January 2012 - 06:32 PM, said:

The only relation Blizzard has to Activision is in both being owned by the same company.

Obviously, there's some corporate overlap, but creatively, Blizzard does "go it alone". There's nobody at Activision can do anything about it, as far as anybody can tell.

Trust me when i say this has no bearing on reality.

Bobby Kotick runs every minute detail of Activision-Blizzard.  There have been several news stories about him clashing with, and ultimately "breaking" the heads of powerful subordinate studios.  

Blizzard is owned by Activision; everyone who works there serves purely at the pleasure of Kotick.

#12 ArkhamNative

ArkhamNative

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:41 AM

Two discouraging updates:
• 2 months after the OP's article, Stephen Reid of BioWare said, "currently, there are no development efforts directed towards a Mac client. Unless it's being done in an underground bunker far from here by stealth-suited developers."
• And last week at PAX-East, 3 months after the articles that spurred this thread, BioWare is still saying "Not at this time" about SWTOR for Mac.

The original Massively article quoted the BioWare founders as wanting to get "everything stabilized and happy" before they "look at other platforms, and [Mac is] obviously one of the first ones".  From what I've seen, things are still far from "happy", but I won't mention all the negatives.

Besides, there are at least 5 upcoming multi-player AAA games launching with Mac versions this year, plus a lot of smaller studio and indie games, that are much more deserving of our support and attention.

P.S. Pardon the necro-bump.

#13 doh123

doh123

Wineskin

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

not surprised... until they make an official announcement, it'll always be a "no plans at this time" answer.  It'll be the fall or later before that happens.

#14 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7163 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

I'm not surprised either. They are probably waiting for the developers of the engine they used to implement Mac support and that is still some time away. Last – very unofficial – date I read somewhere was fall 2012.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#15 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Joo

• Admin
  • 2980 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:04 AM

The engine they chose is ass ;)

Shame they didnt like, ya know... use something decent. Not like they didn't have the money to license the engine, they threw 500mil at voice acting =p

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#16 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1973 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:40 PM

.../facepalm.

the game didn't cost 500 million.  Please let that stupid rumor die.

#17 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Joo

• Admin
  • 2980 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:07 AM

*rolleyes*

$200, $500, who gives a popsnizzle except apparently you?

'nuff said.

-Fm [1oM7]