#1 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7101 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:34 PM

It's that time again: another Humble Bundle has been released – a true bundle this time right from the beginning and not focused on a single developer.

The contents:
– Bit.Trip Runner
– Cave Story+
– Gratuitous Space Battles
– Jamestown
– NightSky HD
– Shank
– Super Meat Boy

Shank, NightSky HD and – if I'm not mistaken – Jamestown never had a Mac version before, so that's pretty sweet.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#2 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:26 PM

The only game I want in there is Shank. Awesome stuff all around though.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#3 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3005 posts
  • Steam ID:ThainEshKelch

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:03 PM

I haven't heard about any of those games.. I'm getting old. :(
"They're everywhere!"

And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m.

#4 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3183 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:47 PM

Bit.Trip Runner is good but I already have it.

Shank might be good it's nice to see more beat-em ups on the mac.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#5 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3818 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:36 AM

My 14 year old is buying this on the weekend. Good selection of games (again).
Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#6 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:56 AM

Right now a couple of the games aren't available as Steamplay in Steam if you activate them there, namely Shank and Nightsky. The FAQ also says Jamestown isn't either but it worked for me. The others download but then don't play because they didn't include the OS X binaries. So to play those you have to download them direct from the humble site for now. I'm having to redownload shank again because of that.

Also like I read at PC Gamer Super Meat Boy recommends the 360 controller but doesn't actually work properly with it. The buttons are all wrong most of the functions don't work except for a few that erroneously are on the d-pad. There doesn't seem to be any options to redefine them either. Also there doesn't seem to be a full screen mode.

The controller support in Jamestown and Cave Story+ are good although I'm a little disappointed Cave Story+ doesn't support widescreen.
--Tetsuo

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#7 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7101 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:20 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 14 December 2011 - 06:56 AM, said:

Also like I read at PC Gamer Super Meat Boy recommends the 360 controller but doesn't actually work properly with it. The buttons are all wrong most of the functions don't work except for a few that erroneously are on the d-pad. There doesn't seem to be any options to redefine them either. Also there doesn't seem to be a full screen mode.
The Mac version of Super Meat Boy is pretty much crap. It seems the developers couldn't get along with the experienced Mac programmer they hired originally for the port, fired him and decided to do it own their own. Unfortunately, the programmer of Team Meat has not much love for Macs, didn't have any experience in Mac programming and didn't get along with Xcode – and that shows.

The in-game settings didn't work properly in the first released version, so he did the "sensible" thing – and ripped them out completely. :bleedingeyes:

There is a way to redefine the gamepad buttons, though: you have to edit a textfile ("buttonmap.cfg" or something) hidden within the application bundle. There's also a way to enable the fullscreen mode and change the game's resolution, but only via command line options. These are easily added in the Steam version, but in the non-Steam version, you'll probably have to do some hacking in the info.plist file.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#8 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:15 AM

I looked up their blog and found that info.. fullscreen works after inserting command line options into steam.

I found the cfg file for the controls but it of little help. Movement controls don't work and the only option there in regards to that is to turn of analog (which didn't help when I tried it). The jump and special buttons are mapped to the correct ones on the controller. 1 and 3 corresponds to X and A on the controller and that's correct in their cfg file but still ends up being on the dpad anyway (which are buttons 12-15). I've little idea what the other buttons are being seen as by the game but even if I redefined them there doesn't seem to be a way to redefine the axis for movement.

The only button I managed to get working is the jump button by assigning it to button number 10... then A started making him jump. Which technically speaking is supposed to be the back button. The analog stick works during menus but not during the game.

Their Mac version of Binding of Isaac didn't fair better either. The fullscreen there uses Lion's fullscreen and doesn't scale the playfield to fill the screen so you get a tiny screen in the middle of a huge tiled background... and controller support there is virtually non-existant.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#9 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7101 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:03 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 14 December 2011 - 09:15 AM, said:

Their Mac version of Binding of Isaac didn't fair better either. The fullscreen there uses Lion's fullscreen and doesn't scale the playfield to fill the screen so you get a tiny screen in the middle of a huge tiled background... and controller support there is virtually non-existant.
In case you didn't notice: Binding of Isaac is a Flash game, so any problem with it is actually a problem with the Flash player.

And you have to set the fullscreen resolution in the options of the game...

#10 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:12 AM

And you don't think I looked in there before saying anything? I mean, come on!  :bleedingeyes: If it was that simple I would have done it. I don't know if you have a low opinion of me but I'm not that dense. The resolution options top out at 1280x720 with no scaling. At this point I'd rather just not play the game.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#11 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:05 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 14 December 2011 - 10:03 AM, said:

And you have to set the fullscreen resolution in the options of the game...
Given Smoke Tetsu and I have 27" monitors running at 2560x1440 the "Fullscreen" you mention is not full screen at all. Maybe on a 13" laptop monitor? Like he said, its a small square in the middle of our screens with all the tiling otherwise. I still enjoyed the game, but it was bothersome.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#12 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:04 PM

An update with the controls... I tried out Shank and it too doesn't work properly with my XBox wireless controller with tattieboggle drivers. So then I tried out my logitech controller and it worked with it. So I tried out SMB with it and apparently it works better with it too. So for those two games I need to use the logitech cordless rumblepad 2. The config file needs to be set to default and then it works just fine with that controller.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#13 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2321 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:18 PM

They just sweetened the pot a little bit throwing in the HB3 contents along with soundtracks. I've purchased a couple of the bundles, but I don't think I've played any of the games.