#1 ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data

Positronic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:28 PM

http://www.anandtech...quer-generals-2

So EA is making a C&C Generals 2. What's more it'll be using Frostbite Engine 2, which I suppose shows the flexibility of the engine. The trailer focuses a lot on close-down FPS-like shots and I do wonder how valuable Frostbite's graphical prowess will be outside of cutscenes when most of the time you'll be zoomed out to observe the whole battlefield.

http://www.insidemac...opic=42947&st=0

And as a continuation of some of the discussion in the Mafia II thread about porting BF3 to Mac, C&C Generals 2 will be an interesting case. C&C has a history of coming to the Mac with the original Generals being natively ported and Red Alert 3 getting a Cider port. Generals was supposedly the most successful C&C and I'll generously hope that Mac users were a noteworthy contribution to that, something that Generals 2 will want to repeat. Certainly, with Generals 2 not supporting consoles, the Mac userbase would take up a larger chunk of the potential customer pie having only to vie with Windows users. The question is whether DICE will be forward-looking anticipating continued Mac support in future games and building Mac/OpenGL support directly into Frostbite, they'll let it be ported natively by a third-party or do it through Cider. Of course with 2013 so far away, everything is very much pure speculation at this point. In 2013 Mac OS 10.8 should just have been released with OpenGL 4.x and tessellation support which should be very valuable for a RTS.

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7200 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:05 PM

View Postltcommander.data, on 11 December 2011 - 12:28 PM, said:

The question is whether DICE will be forward-looking anticipating continued Mac support in future games and building Mac/OpenGL support directly into Frostbite,...

I doubt that. When they really use the recent Frostbite 2 (that's the one used in BF3), there's no OpenGL support. Quite contrary, they apparently pretty much focused on DirectX 11.

...they'll let it be ported natively by a third-party or do it through Cider.
As for Cider: at least at the moment, Cider and Wine have quite some problems to run any Frostbite engine game at all (almost all Wine AppDB entries report only "garbage"). Of course that might change until 2013.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3684 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones
  • Steam ID:Meriones

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:36 PM

Well, it shall be an interesting development in either event.

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 8GB RAM | 10.8.2 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#4 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts
  • Steam ID:ThainEshKelch

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:20 AM

Interesting... I hope Bioware can take the game back to its old school standards, instead of the recent crappy releases.

Frostbite 2 was an interesting choice.
"They're everywhere!"

And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m.

#5 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3684 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:03 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 12 December 2011 - 01:20 AM, said:

Interesting... I hope Bioware can take the game back to its old school standards, instead of the recent crappy releases.

Frostbite 2 was an interesting choice.
Yeah, but I am concerend for one reason: people are saying that it is notoriously unfriendly to modding.

Liberator.

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

#6 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts
  • Steam ID:ThainEshKelch

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:57 AM

Well, personally I've never modded a C&C game, so I don't care about it. Are there any major mods out for the games?

Could be with the F2 engine, that we get the chance to view the combat, and fight, from a FPS POW, as Westwood promised us with Tiberian Sun.
"They're everywhere!"

And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m.

#7 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7200 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:28 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 12 December 2011 - 07:57 AM, said:

Well, personally I've never modded a C&C game, so I don't care about it. Are there any major mods out for the games?
There were quite a few popular ones for the first C&C Generals.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#8 Frost

Frost

PowerPC Supremacist

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5224 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:36 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 12 December 2011 - 12:28 PM, said:

There were quite a few popular ones for the first C&C Generals.
Yep, yours truly was even on one until Microsoft decided to make Halo Wars and shut us down right before X06 (Halogen – Halo for Generals).

I'm pretty stoked for this, as I liked Generals so much that it joined Total Annihilation and the first C&C, and muscled StarCraft down a rank, in my top favorite RTSes ever. I STILL play it every now and then. Regular USA and USA Air Force generals FTW.

Only thing I'm concerned about is the art direction seems to be overly futuristic... hoping that's not too reflective of the overall game. Part of Generals' charm was it was like the original C&C in that it's only JUST slightly far enough in the future as to not step on PC weenies' toes, but still retain enough of a resemblance to real world conflicts and equipment to feel cool.

Well, okay, I'm also pissed that the USA is gone as a side too. What the hell is that crap, you can't fight the GLA without the US. Hopefully the EU's gameplay style is close to USA in the original, as the extremely different, yet sooo well balanced equipment and fighting styles of the two sides made for some seriously epic and just plain different gameplay in the first C&C Generals, and really sold me on the game. USA and GLA were about as not-reskins of each other as you can get.
Cypher (PowerMac G5 Quad) – 2x2.5 GHz PPC 970MP / 16GB ECC RAM / 1TB WDC Velociraptor, 2TB STX Constellation ES.2 / QuadroFX 4500 512MB
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.2 GHz Ci7 4770K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Crucial M550 M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 3TB STX Barracuda / GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB
Chromium (MacBook Pro Early 2008) – 2.6 GHz C2D T9500 / 4GB RAM / 960GB Crucial M500 / GeForce 8600M GT 512MB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 Titanium) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 480GB OWC Mercury Legacy Pro / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#9 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3684 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:30 AM

View PostFrost, on 13 December 2011 - 02:36 AM, said:

I'm pretty stoked for this, as I liked Generals so much that it joined Total Annihilation and the first C&C, and muscled StarCraft down a rank, in my top favorite RTSes ever. I STILL play it every now and then. Regular USA and USA Air Force generals FTW.

Only thing I'm concerned about is the art direction seems to be overly futuristic... hoping that's not too reflective of the overall game. Part of Generals' charm was it was like the original C&C in that it's only JUST slightly far enough in the future as to not step on PC weenies' toes, but still retain enough of a resemblance to real world conflicts and equipment to feel cool.
My personal favourite factions to play are USAF general and China nuke general and I agree, one of my favs too. I also think although some of the futuristic design of the units, like the Laser cannon (and whatnot) were a bit crazy and over the top, they worlked and fitted well into the Generals universe. …and of course there were the real units, like the Raptors (and whatnot else).

View PostFrost, on 13 December 2011 - 02:36 AM, said:

Well, okay, I'm also pissed that the USA is gone as a side too. What the hell is that crap, you can't fight the GLA without the US. Hopefully the EU's gameplay style is close to USA in the original, as the extremely different, yet sooo well balanced equipment and fighting styles of the two sides made for some seriously epic and just plain different gameplay in the first C&C Generals, and really sold me on the game. USA and GLA were about as not-reskins of each other as you can get.
I am surprised that you did not mention the China as a side. The game as a whole was extremely balanced, with even Zero Hour being very balanced…except maybe with a USAF general vs a GLA Stealth gen. That is the most unbalanced match that I can think of.

Liberator.

P.S. All of this talk of C&C makes me want to play it again… …which I shall do at my next available moment, which happens to be in a couple of hours. :D

Edit: C&C is now primed and ready to play tomorrow. Going to get the disc is kind of a hassle, oh well.

Edited by Frost, 14 December 2011 - 05:11 AM.
Discussing no-disc cracks.

#10 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3684 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:20 AM

Well, I played a quick skirmish, and damn it was fun. I didn't realise how much I had missed playing C&C, especially as the USAF. :D

Liberator.

#11 Frost

Frost

PowerPC Supremacist

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5224 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:13 AM

Eh, I didn't mention China as as cool as they were, they were kind of the halfway between USA and GLA gameplay. I liked one or the other of those two just because of how drastically different they are to play as.

I'd hit you up for some coop if only PPC C&C could play with Intel C&C. Darn that lazy UB programmer at Aspyr who handled Generals and the endless headaches he's caused me when trying to play that game with friends!

And yeah, it'd certainly be nice if they would remove the disc requirement after a certain amount of time as MacSoft very often does. The final updates removing the CD requirements for UT, Halo, and UT2004 was just great and I spend 5 seconds thanking the MacSoft guys who did that every time I fire up one of those games.
Cypher (PowerMac G5 Quad) – 2x2.5 GHz PPC 970MP / 16GB ECC RAM / 1TB WDC Velociraptor, 2TB STX Constellation ES.2 / QuadroFX 4500 512MB
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.2 GHz Ci7 4770K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Crucial M550 M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 3TB STX Barracuda / GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB
Chromium (MacBook Pro Early 2008) – 2.6 GHz C2D T9500 / 4GB RAM / 960GB Crucial M500 / GeForce 8600M GT 512MB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 Titanium) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 480GB OWC Mercury Legacy Pro / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#12 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3684 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:04 AM

View PostFrost, on 14 December 2011 - 05:13 AM, said:

Eh, I didn't mention China as as cool as they were, they were kind of the halfway between USA and GLA gameplay. I liked one or the other of those two just because of how drastically different they are to play as.

I'd hit you up for some coop if only PPC C&C could play with Intel C&C. Darn that lazy UB programmer at Aspyr who handled Generals and the endless headaches he's caused me when trying to play that game with friends!

And yeah, it'd certainly be nice if they would remove the disc requirement after a certain amount of time as MacSoft very often does. The final updates removing the CD requirements for UT, Halo, and UT2004 was just great and I spend 5 seconds thanking the MacSoft guys who did that every time I fire up one of those games.
Yeah, I understand. I thought that would be the reason. I cannot seem to play GLA well at all. Then again, I haven't been able to play as Zerg or any other comparable side very well either. I think it is a strategy mentality or something.

Yeah, I would very much like to, and I would gladly play on my old iMac G5…if I could; it is broken, where it cannot connect to the internet. I have no idea why; ever since we started using the TC as our router, internet connection has been impossible. …although I can still connect to our home network.

Yeah, oh well. It is not too bad… ::Liberator's First World problem::

Liberator.