36 replies to this topic

#1 Fred9

Fred9

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:54 AM

This is my favourite game on the Mac so far. The story, the atmosphere, the music, characters, gameplay... everything is simply amazing.

I read some reviews about people experiencing bad performance. I have a mid-2010 iMac 27" i7 and the game runs like a dream. No problems at all. Works fantastic with my Logitech gamepad too.

A huge thanks to Feral for finally bringing some real, kick-ass games to the Mac. Batman Arkham Asylum, Dirt2 and now this. Also Aspyr for Call of Duty 4. It feels like games & Mac have entered a new era. Maybe partly thanks to the Mac App Store?

I'm hoping for Batman Arkham City and Dirt3.

#2 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3846 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:42 PM

View PostFred9, on 08 December 2011 - 10:54 AM, said:

This is my favourite game on the Mac so far. The story, the atmosphere, the music, characters, gameplay... everything is simply amazing.

I read some reviews about people experiencing bad performance. I have a mid-2010 iMac 27" i7 and the game runs like a dream. No problems at all. Works fantastic with my Logitech gamepad too.

A huge thanks to Feral for finally bringing some real, kick-ass games to the Mac. Batman Arkham Asylum, Dirt2 and now this. Also Aspyr for Call of Duty 4. It feels like games & Mac have entered a new era. Maybe partly thanks to the Mac App Store?

I'm hoping for Batman Arkham City and Dirt3.

And now you've found the best Mac gaming forums anywhere as well. Welcome. I'm sure others will drag themselves along shortly to say hi to a new user.
Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#3 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3305 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:23 PM

What settings are you using?
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#4 Fred9

Fred9

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:39 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on 08 December 2011 - 03:42 PM, said:

And now you've found the best Mac gaming forums anywhere as well. Welcome. I'm sure others will drag themselves along shortly to say hi to a new user.
Thanks! I've been looking around the forum and haven't seen too much discussion about these totally amazing games which has come during the last year or so.

Mac gaming has really reached a new level. And there doesn't seem to be too much discussion about that here, which I find strange.

Dirt2, Batman, Mafia II, Call of Duty 4, come on! Give Feral and Aspyr some love!  :)

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 08 December 2011 - 04:23 PM, said:

What settings are you using?
Standard settings, just pressing "ok" when the game starts. Resolution 1600x900.

#5 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3305 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:00 PM

Oh, because I've heard of performance problems but it was at 2560x1440, maxed out using the same computer as you. I was told the resolution had to be lowered to 1920x1080 to be smooth. You are just playing at default settings with most things probably lowered so that's why you didn't experience any performance problems.
--Tetsuo

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#6 Fred9

Fred9

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:40 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 08 December 2011 - 06:00 PM, said:

Oh, because I've heard of performance problems but it was at 2560x1440, maxed out using the same computer as you. I was told the resolution had to be lowered to 1920x1080 to be smooth. You are just playing at default settings with most things probably lowered so that's why you didn't experience any performance problems.

Well, it is already set to 1920x1080 when you launch it the first time. Everything else is set to "high". And it looks awesome.
Now I tried 2560x1440, and yes, it's a bit slower and lags.

#7 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:23 AM

View PostFred9, on 09 December 2011 - 02:40 AM, said:

Well, it is already set to 1920x1080 when you launch it the first time. Everything else is set to "high". And it looks awesome.
Now I tried 2560x1440, and yes, it's a bit slower and lags.

Before a game is shipped we record the settings that appear to play and look the best for different machine setups and then make them the default settings, the defaults will be different on different Macs. In the case of Mafia 2 if you turn up the resolution too high the graphics cards get bottlenecked and lose performance. You can run at higher resolutions with settings turned down but for the best visual and performance we found having a slightly lower (but still high) resolution meant you can have more effects turned on giving what we think is the best overall experience. You might be able to tweak this further depending on your exact machine but the defaults should always perform well while also offering as good a visual look as the hardware allows.

Cheers,

Edwin

#8 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:59 AM

Well it's on my Christmas list (and I've been good this year!:D ) so looking forward to some mob action :)

#9 Fred9

Fred9

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:29 AM

View Postedddeduck, on 09 December 2011 - 03:23 AM, said:

Before a game is shipped we record the settings that appear to play and look the best for different machine setups and then make them the default settings, the defaults will be different on different Macs. In the case of Mafia 2 if you turn up the resolution too high the graphics cards get bottlenecked and lose performance. You can run at higher resolutions with settings turned down but for the best visual and performance we found having a slightly lower (but still high) resolution meant you can have more effects turned on giving what we think is the best overall experience. You might be able to tweak this further depending on your exact machine but the defaults should always perform well while also offering as good a visual look as the hardware allows.

Cheers,

Edwin

Nice, and like I said, it works perfectly for me. Thanks for an amazing game.    :)

View PostSargiel, on 09 December 2011 - 06:59 AM, said:

Well it's on my Christmas list (and I've been good this year!:D ) so looking forward to some mob action :)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!  :D

#10 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:11 AM

View PostFred9, on 09 December 2011 - 07:29 AM, said:

Nice, and like I said, it works perfectly for me. Thanks for an amazing game.    :)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!  :D

Thanks Fred you would be amazed how much a few nice comments like yours raises moral when we are flat outs like we are right now.

Edwin

#11 Fred9

Fred9

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:01 PM

View Postedddeduck, on 09 December 2011 - 11:11 AM, said:

Thanks Fred you would be amazed how much a few nice comments like yours raises moral when we are flat outs like we are right now.

Edwin
I know what they can mean. People are too modest with giving praise.

Dirt 2, Batman and Mafia II, all within 3 months.

You guys are Mac Gods.

Now some wishful thinking, I know you can't comment, but still: Dirt 3, Batman Arkham City and Battlefield 3.

#12 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1436 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:34 AM

View PostFred9, on 08 December 2011 - 10:54 AM, said:

The MAS certainly has given more exposure to the average and/or casual mac user and by all means is a positive effect on mac gaming.

Otherwise its amazing people like Feral and the many indie devs who keep making and porting great titles for us Mac gamers.

View PostDaveyJJ, on 08 December 2011 - 03:42 PM, said:

Hi Fred! Welcome to the IMG forum. Glad you found us and have taken an interest in posting and sharing your thoughts and experiences. The more people do this the better.

I find it more than a little ironic that we are welcoming a new user in a thread about a mafia game. Cue "made man" and "welcome to the family" jokes/puns.

View PostFred9, on 08 December 2011 - 05:39 PM, said:

Thanks! I've been looking around the forum and haven't seen too much discussion about these totally amazing games which has come during the last year or so.
Most of the discussion happens when the game comes out then it dies down. I'm sure if you poke around you'll find older posts.

Mac gaming has really reached a new level. And there doesn't seem to be too much discussion about that here, which I find strange.
We do talk about it, but its somewhat already been discussed. Still this "holiday" season things have ramped up. To do my own plug, you can check out the MacGameCast where myself and a few others regularly talk about mac game stuff and how awesome it all is.

Dirt2, Batman, Mafia II, Call of Duty 4, come on! Give Feral and Aspyr some love!  :)

CoD4 is a bit old (both as a game and a release) to really be praising it presently. But Aspyr is certainly still deserving of thanks for their efforts. :)

View PostSargiel, on 09 December 2011 - 06:59 AM, said:

Can always use another good man in the family ;)

View PostFred9, on 09 December 2011 - 01:01 PM, said:

I know what they can mean. People are too modest with giving praise.

Dirt 2, Batman and Mafia II, all within 3 months.

You guys are Mac Gods.

Now some wishful thinking, I know you can't comment, but still: Dirt 3, Batman Arkham City and Battlefield 3.
Indeed, Feral is easily at the top of mac game porting pile. They have an impressive record which keeps getting more impressive every few months.

Personal opinion on port possibilities: Arkham City yes at some point, but rather doubt we will see Dirt 3 or Battlefield 3. Feral could have ported Dirt 3, it was already out when they ported Dirt 2. Battlefield 3 is not their kind of game as far as I know. There was rumor long ago  (when BF3 was just getting announced) that a mac port could be possible so maybe we will see it from another source.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#13 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15800 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:30 AM

View PostWumpus, on 10 December 2011 - 12:34 AM, said:

Indeed, Feral is easily at the top of mac game porting pile. They have an impressive record which keeps getting more impressive every few months.
Their secret is they have Brad Oliver chained to the stone floor in their basement.  He can reach a computer, a cess pit, and a filthy straw mattress.  Every day they throw great chunks of raw meat into his cell.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#14 Fred9

Fred9

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:38 AM

View PostWumpus, on 10 December 2011 - 12:34 AM, said:

The MAS certainly has given more exposure to the average and/or casual mac user and by all means is a positive effect on mac gaming.
It is. I love the MAS. I heard Apple are taking a huge chunk out of sales, but they do offer exposure. And the ease of use is fantastic. Just click buy and it's installed, automatically checks for updates etc.
They could still organize the apps in a better way.

Hi Fred! Welcome to the IMG forum. Glad you found us and have taken an interest in posting and sharing your thoughts and experiences. The more people do this the better.
I find it more than a little ironic that we are welcoming a new user in a thread about a mafia game. Cue "made man" and "welcome to the family" jokes/puns.
I thought I would have to take someone out to be made. Like the head of another forum?  
But this is so much better, thanks!  :)

To do my own plug, you can check out the MacGameCast where myself and a few others regularly talk about mac game stuff and how awesome it all is.
Cool! I will check it out.

Personal opinion on port possibilities: Arkham City yes at some point, but rather doubt we will see Dirt 3 or Battlefield 3. Feral could have ported Dirt 3, it was already out when they ported Dirt 2. Battlefield 3 is not their kind of game as far as I know. There was rumor long ago  (when BF3 was just getting announced) that a mac port could be possible so maybe we will see it from another source.
OK, I didn't know that. But whatever the title is, it would be nice with another top-quality racing game. Dirt 2 is just amazing. Maybe Gran Turismo 5. And instead of BF3 - maybe "CoD Modern Warfare 3".

Just wishful thinking. But either way, I like it when they go for the best console games. And if they're recent, even better. I rather pay $40 for one great game than $4 for ten not so great games.

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 10 December 2011 - 09:30 AM, said:

Their secret is they have Brad Oliver chained to the stone floor in their basement.  He can reach a computer, a cess pit, and a filthy straw mattress.  Every day they throw great chunks of raw meat into his cell.
That sound terrible!   :bleedingeyes:
But totally worth his sacrifice. Thanks, Brad.   :D

#15 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:20 AM

View PostFred9, on 10 December 2011 - 10:38 AM, said:

I heard Apple are taking a huge chunk out of sales
Well, it's 30%, but other avenues such as Steam aren't any better (not sure about MacGameStore).  It's way better than retail in any case.

--Eric

#16 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7207 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:21 AM

View PostFred9, on 10 December 2011 - 10:38 AM, said:

I heard Apple are taking a huge chunk out of sales,...
Not really. The 30% they take are on the same level – partly even less – than the share other distributing platforms demand.

OK, I didn't know that. But whatever the title is, it would be nice with another top-quality racing game. Dirt 2 is just amazing. Maybe Gran Turismo 5. And instead of BF3 - maybe "CoD Modern Warfare 3".
Well, Sony certainly won't allow their platform exclusive GT5 ported to anything else. I wouldn't rule out Dirt 3 – the versions for other platforms weren't released that long before Dirt 2 for Mac. And remember, we only got Bioshock 1 when Bioshock 2 was already out. So, why not?

MW3 would be more Aspyr's business.

Since EA obviously has decided on having their games ported by Transgaming via Cider exclusively, I don't think Battlefield 3 would ever make it to the Mac – Cider (or any other Wine derivative) simply can't handle the game's engine.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#17 ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data

Positronic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:51 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 10 December 2011 - 11:21 AM, said:

I wouldn't rule out Dirt 3 – the versions for other platforms weren't released that long before Dirt 2 for Mac. And remember, we only got Bioshock 1 when Bioshock 2 was already out. So, why not?
With DIRT2 just released I don't think there's a large market for a direct sequel any time soon (1-2 years). Instead, I think we're more likely to see a port of F1 2011, F1 2012 or GRID 2, depending on what's available in the next year. Colin McRae Rally Mac was released in 2007 so was due for a refresh which turned out to be DIRT2 in 2011. Rally racing is now covered. ToCA Race Driver 3 for Mac was released in 2008 so this type of racer is now due for a refresh, which should be a GRID series title, but if GRID 1 is too old and GRID 2 is not released yet, Feral could perhaps swap to F1. By the time the focus turns back to rally racing, perhaps in the 2013 timeframe, there may well be a DIRT 4 available to jump directly to.

View PostJanichsan, on 10 December 2011 - 11:21 AM, said:

Since EA obviously has decided on having their games ported by Transgaming via Cider exclusively, I don't think Battlefield 3 would ever make it to the Mac – Cider (or any other Wine derivative) simply can't handle the game's engine.
Some of DICE's presentations are available in Keynote format which seems to mean that DICE are conscious of Mac. Given the effort in FROSTBITE Engine 3 was envisioned as an investment in the long haul to be ready for next-gen consoles, I would think DICE would take a similar view with Mac support. If they decide to support Mac, they would build it into the FROSTBITE engine for long-term support instead of one-off ports by third parties. Similar to Valve's approach, id's new approach (if RAGE for Mac ever gets released), and the possibilities opened up by native Unreal Engine 3 Mac support. Although I suppose EA may have different priorities where a quick Cider port when Cider is ready for it is very tempting. Admittedly, even if Mac support is incorporated into FROSTBITE it'll likely be the same situation as UE3 games, where existing games built on older versions of the engine, in this case BF3, would need to be ported the old fashioned way.

#18 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3305 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:53 PM

id's approach isn't very new to them to be technical. From what I've heard hey've always at the very least also supported mac with their base engine but especially with id tech 4 left the job of taking that base engine and make a shippable product out of it to Aspyr. They may have to do the same thing with RAGE. Carmack said it wouldn't be too hard to get it running on Mac again but they don't have the time or resources to devote to it indicating to me that they may need some outside help.

As for whether or not WINE or Cider can "handle" BF3 that has more to do with the underlying hardware and if they implement all the functions the game needs. To say they can't handle the games engine makes it sound like "Oh they are just not powerful enough". In other words... they can "handle" games especially if your hardware is up to snuff but probably just don't implement the correct functions for BF3 to work. In more other words... For example I've had Crysis run pretty amazing on my computer yet a less "cutting edge" game... Devil May Cry 4 run like molasses... and some games don't run at all... even if they are older UE3 based games which is again not as cutting edge.

So again it partly has to do with what your hardware can handle and if WINE\Cider implements the correct functions for the game to run properly.

There are even reports of some games and apps being "handled" better by WINE than on actual windows believe it or not.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#19 Fred9

Fred9

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:21 PM

I've been looking through this forum. And it's great.

But many threads tend to turn into technical discussions that normal users don't understand.

Like this one. I started it, and said "this is my favourite game on the Mac so far. The story, the atmosphere, the music, characters, gameplay... everything is simply amazing."

Now, a few replies later, it's a discussion about wine and cider and ports and engines and stuff that at least I don't care about.

#20 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7207 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:34 PM

View PostFred9, on 10 December 2011 - 05:21 PM, said:

But many threads tend to turn into technical discussions that normal users don't understand.
Now, a few replies later, it's a discussion about wine and cider and ports and engines and stuff that at least I don't care about.
That tends to happen when Smoke_Tetsu is around. :P

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"