27 replies to this topic

#1 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:23 AM

Legend of Grimrock has reached beta and it looks fantastic! Here's hoping the Mac version doesn't take too much longer and it's a Steamplay title!

http://www.rockpaper...nd-of-grimrock/

http://www.grimrock....011/11/28/beta/

-PN
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.9.2
iPad 3 64GB WiFi/iPhone 4S 32GB

#2 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3013 posts
  • Steam ID:ThainEshKelch

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:29 AM

Oohhh, neat... I'm looking forward to it. Love the score also!
"They're everywhere!"

And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m.

#3 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1734 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:37 AM

Combat looks mega hard, super fast mouse movements.

#4 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:44 PM

Looks very interesting, surprisingly pretty I have to say. The combat does indeed look very fast paced, though I would think they would have some sort of slider you could adjust for combat speed just in case everyone isn't lightning-mc-mouse. The only issue I foresee for someone like myself (who is used to super quick mouse movements or reactions) is the magic rune system you'd have to wildly punch in whatever spell your trying to remember before your turn ends or whatever. Or you just sit there getting hit until you pass or attack? I don't know how the mechanics work.

Other than that, for being a Steamplay title it is curiously absent from Steam altogether. How do we know its going to be SP?
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#5 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:49 PM

View PostWumpus, on 28 November 2011 - 04:44 PM, said:

Looks very interesting, surprisingly pretty I have to say. The combat does indeed look very fast paced, though I would think they would have some sort of slider you could adjust for combat speed just in case everyone isn't lightning-mc-mouse. The only issue I foresee for someone like myself (who is used to super quick mouse movements or reactions) is the magic rune system you'd have to wildly punch in whatever spell your trying to remember before your turn ends or whatever. Or you just sit there getting hit until you pass or attack? I don't know how the mechanics work.

Other than that, for being a Steamplay title it is curiously absent from Steam altogether. How do we know its going to be SP?

We don't know yet but they said they're looking at Steam for distribution. Since they're doing a Mac version as well Steamplay is wishful thinking on my part. Posted Image

-PN
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.9.2

#6 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:31 PM

View PostWumpus, on 28 November 2011 - 04:44 PM, said:

The only issue I foresee for someone like myself (who is used to super quick mouse movements or reactions) is the magic rune system you'd have to wildly punch in whatever spell your trying to remember before your turn ends or whatever. Or you just sit there getting hit until you pass or attack? I don't know how the mechanics work.
It's like Dungeon Master, so there aren't any turns, it's real-time.

--Eric

#7 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

If you're wondering why this topic is suddenly relevant again check out the screenshot near the bottom of the page just posted today:

http://www.grimrock..../01/new-office/

So apparently this is still happening!

-PN

#8 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3013 posts
  • Steam ID:ThainEshKelch

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

YAaaaaaay!
"They're everywhere!"

And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m.

#9 lewdvig

lewdvig

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

I bought it on GOG but have not played it. It takes so much effort for me to willingly boot into windows.

Thank goodness the mac version is almost here - I hope they don't expect me to buy it again.

#10 doh123

doh123

Wineskin

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

View Postlewdvig, on 01 November 2012 - 05:50 PM, said:

I bought it on GOG but have not played it. It takes so much effort for me to willingly boot into windows.

Thank goodness the mac version is almost here - I hope they don't expect me to buy it again.
been playing it on my self-ported version for a long time... didn't have to wait for a Mac version.

#11 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:34 AM

Looks good. About the closest to Dark Souls the Mac will see, I guess.
OS X 10.10.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3520 2.66GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GTX680 2GB

#12 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7145 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 03 November 2012 - 12:34 AM, said:

Looks good. About the closest to Dark Souls the Mac will see, I guess.
Not really. Dark Souls and Legend of Grimrock have completely different gameplay.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#13 Wobblefoot

Wobblefoot

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Steam Name:HulkPunchedThor

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

Yeah, it really is very different from Dark Souls. While both are on the difficult end of the spectrum for RPG gaming, LoG is more of a spiritual successor to games like the Eye of Beholder series and Dungeon Master. These styles of games have parties of adventurers, first person viewpoints, and grid based movements - so much so on that last part, the developers of LoG included an "Old School" mode, forcing encouraging you to break out the graph paper to map each dungeon.

Ah... nostalgic gaming at its finest.

#14 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:28 AM

Yes, really. Since I'd prefer Dark Souls... but if you can think of another Mac game that's more like Dark Souls than Legend of Grimrock then I'll change my words to compare that game to Dark Souls... believe me, I know what I meant.
OS X 10.10.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3520 2.66GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GTX680 2GB

#15 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

This is currently on sale on Steam for $3.74 for Windows. Since the Mac version is imminent I took a chance and purchased it because it may end up being a SteamPlay title. I might try to play the Windows version using the wrapper from the Porting Team's website just to see if it works. However I'd really much rather play the Mac version so this was worth the gamble to me and may be to anybody else out there. Get it while it's hot!

Update: Appears to run perfectly in the latest version of Crossover.

-PN

#16 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

Wish I'd seen this yesterday. Had no idea this was coming to the Mac.

Next steam sale is less than a month away, though. I'll get it then.

#17 Trautman

Trautman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:45 AM

The installation button of Legend of Grimrock appeared on Steam. But, it is not installable.

#18 Wobblefoot

Wobblefoot

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Steam Name:HulkPunchedThor

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

View PostTrautman, on 01 December 2012 - 06:45 AM, said:

The installation button of Legend of Grimrock appeared on Steam. But, it is not installable.

The same thing happens on my Steam client. It keeps popping on and off my list as available for install on my Mac. I'm hoping that is a sign that it will be available soon!

Of course, the same thing has been happening for awhile now with the Dota 2 test client, and I'm not sure how close they are to releasing that for Mac OS.

#19 Trautman

Trautman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:21 AM

Legend of Grimrock for Mac coming on Steam!

#20 Trautman

Trautman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

I'm not beta tester. A Mac version is installable although there is no Mac icon in the page of Legend of Grimrock on Steam.