7 replies to this topic

#1 Marvin_Arnold

Marvin_Arnold

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:02 AM

Am I the only one who does this? Or did I miss a thread for it?

Just wanted to let you people know that you can run Mass Effect on an Intel Mac without the need to dual-boot, by using Wineskin. (Which is basically a customzied WINE environment with GUI for easy install and troubleshooting of Windows programs. And it turns your game into a clickable app, which not only looks cool...)

The only disadvantages are

dialogue audio drop-outs after a certain amount of time (usually about one hour), which are fixed by quit and restart (and are, apparently, also a "feature" of the Windows version),

rather "flat" instead of dynamic lighting, (and dynamic shadows not rendering correctly) and

mouse not wrapping correctly (which means you cannot turn your viewpoint 360 in one go, but you have to move the (mouselook) camera until it doesn't go further (about 60-90), then move the mouse quickly in the other direction, and then you can move the camera further.) This gets a while to get used to, and can be annoying in combat, since you have to hit "pause" a lot just to turn around.

Apart from these disadvantages, you get the whole game running flawlessly, without the need to install Windows...

If you are interested, I could post the whole procedure here (doesn't require the terminal, as Wineskin has a GUI)

#2 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:31 AM

Have to say those flaws aren't worth running it in OSX for me. I would much rather have the regular game in bootcamp. I've played the game twice in windows, never had any audio issues as you mention.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#3 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1739 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:05 AM

Most of the issues other then the lighting are fixed in this Wineskin wrapper: http://forum.porting...php?f=45&t=6284

#4 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:11 AM

View PostMarvin_Arnold, on 14 October 2011 - 04:02 AM, said:

Apart from these disadvantages, you get the whole game running flawlessly, without the need to install Windows...
So...aside from the game not actually working, it runs flawlessly.  ;)  You might need to look up the definition of "flawless"....  Looking in the CrossOver Games database, it seems to have some issues, but apparently can be made to run better than what you describe with some tweaking.  Don't have the game and haven't tried it though.

--Eric

#5 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3233 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:29 PM

Just a note here that UE3 engine games tend to be problematic at least when it comes to graphics on WINE engines from WINEHQ or Crossover. I have to use a certain other WINE based wrapper for those.

Also the kind of problems this game has isn't true of all games running in wineskin some run "flawlessly" (by the true definition of the word) and others like this don't.

The sound situation on most WINE versions from the WINEHQ builds tend to be because they are overhauling the audio subystems in WINE. The 1.3.x branch is a dev branch and as such things may fix\break from version to version. Any version past 1.3.24 has quite a few audio problems depending on game which may or may not be fixed somewhere down the line. This is because that's when they really started overhauling the audio in WINE.

They are up to 1.3.30 but the audio situation hasn't settled yet it seems to me. Like for example with Wolfenstein (2009) I ended up downgrading it to 1.3.24 for the best audio... any version in between that and 1.3.30 has not been giving me good audio support and 1.3.30 lets the audio go out of sync after a while.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#6 Frost

Frost

PowerPC Inside

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5127 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:57 PM

View PostWumpus, on 14 October 2011 - 09:31 AM, said:

Have to say those flaws aren't worth running it in OSX for me.
No kidding. Those minor issues sound major enough to make me want to stop playing if I had to deal with that.
Cypher (PowerMac G5 Quad) – 2x2.5 GHz PPC 970MP / 16GB ECC RAM / 1TB WDC Velociraptor, 2TB STX Constellation ES.2 / QuadroFX 4500 512MB
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.2 GHz Ci7 4770K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Crucial M550 M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 3TB STX Barracuda / GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB
Chromium (MacBook Pro Early 2008) – 2.6 GHz C2D T9500 / 4GB RAM / 960GB Crucial M500 / GeForce 8600M GT 512MB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 Titanium) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 480GB OWC Mercury Legacy Pro / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#7 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1739 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:00 PM

The customized one I linked to above works past most of those flaws. I'd say it's relatively decent I still played it in a normal Windows install (bootcamp).

#8 Marvin_Arnold

Marvin_Arnold

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:05 PM

Whoops, had completely forgotten about my post...

View PostEric5h5, on 14 October 2011 - 11:11 AM, said:

So...aside from the game not actually working, it runs flawlessly.  ;)  You might need to look up the definition of "flawless"....  Looking in the CrossOver Games database, it seems to have some issues, but apparently can be made to run better than what you describe with some tweaking.  Don't have the game and haven't tried it though.

--Eric
Hmm... maybe you should look up the definition of "not actually working"... and the definition of "apart from". And the "some tweaking" section on CX means patching and compiling the WINE source code. Which last time I tried ended in a string of error messages. Because these patches only work with Linux, anyway. However, those flaws aren't worth bothering with either gcc or sacrificing several GB for a Windows installation.

Which was the whole point of my post.

View PostHansi, on 14 October 2011 - 11:05 AM, said:

Most of the issues other than the lighting are fixed in this Wineskin wrapper: http://forum.porting...php?f=45&t=6284
Hansi, thank you for your helpful post! I'll check it out. (Although there are people in that thread complaining about the same issues I have... we'll see...)

M:A:

EDIT: Tried a similar wrapper from that site, which explicitly fixes the mouse and audio issues, and just requires copying the Program Files/Mass Effect folder from my own wrapper.
The mouse wrapping is working well, although I got so used to handling the unwrapped mouse ("don't lift it when moving back") that it doesn't make much difference now. The graphic glitches, however, are worse than with my generic Wineskin wrapper. (Characters look as if they were wearing lo-res masks with different lighting properties. I'm trying to contact the coder in oder to work out a solution) Audio seems to work well. Will try your recommended wrapper as well. (which, unfortunately, requires a fresh installation).

Thanks.