#1 WSTE_M

WSTE_M

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 02:30 PM

Hi

The headphone port on my mac has died, so I need a device for audio.
I have an iMic, but to be truthful its sound quality is poor.

So, I want something better and bigger.
An ideal unit for me, would be FireWire, have a jack or minijack headphone output, as well as a RCA type output for the speakers.

Are there any such, not too expensive units ?
blowing stuff up in the virtual world since 1994

#2 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:13 PM

Firewire will really ramp up the cost, so I'd suggest going more with USB. What you need to be looking at is devices called DACs, Digital-Analogue-Converter.

Personally I use an Aune DAC bought from ebay for around 100 a couple years ago. It's got USB and Coaxial Digital audio in (rather than the more common optical, sadly), and works without the need to install drivers in both OSX and Windows, and with a flip of a switch, it changes to the coax for PS3 play. There's also RCA in, which I believe is straight forward through put. It skips the audio processing chips and heads straight out again. I'm not sure, though, as I've never tried it!

Headphones on the front from a 5mm jack (you get a 3.5mm adapter too) and a separate giant volume knob too, which only controls the headphones volume (System volume is overridden as it's digital output, but app based volume control isn't). On the back you've got the RCA outputs for amplified speakers.

All in all, it's solid enough and does what I want in this current set up. The only minor annoyance I have with it is that when OSX checks what hardware is available to it, say with VMWare or Disk Utility, and the DVD drive goes *KERCHUGGER!*, the audio cuts out, and I have to flip the power off and on again at the back of the unit. Only in OSX, and not in Windows!

Oh, and if you want to cut the audio outputs, you either turn those speakers off at the mains or reduce the on-speaker volume. It's not like when you plug headphones into your Mac, either, so you can have headphones in and volume will still be sent to the RCAs for your speakers too.

Still, it's a good bit of kit. I wouldn't change too much about it really.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#3 pantherv

pantherv

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Steam Name:panthervca

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:07 AM

I have a creative labs xmod from a few years ago and I love it. I think you would have to find it on e bay or craigslist now.
MP 2.66 QC/8GB/1TB WD Velicoraptor/10.8/GT120/Lacie 234 24in/1TB Gtech/Razer Black Widow Mac Edition Keyboard/Logitech G500 Mouse/Razer eXactMat.Audioengine A5 & A8 Speakers & Sub.
iPhone 4s/32GB/Speck Case
iPad Mini Retina 64

#4 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3104 posts
  • Steam ID:ThainEshKelch

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:37 AM

Why not buy a pair of headphones with USB? They work fine.
"They're everywhere!"

And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m.

#5 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:53 PM

A FireWire interface is a bit of overkill for your purposes, as teflon said.

I recommend a simple USB-Interface, too.
depending of how much you want to spent - not too much I guess -
for something `decent` I recommend the FOCUSRITE VRM BOX a bit over $100, I only checked Euro Prices

but also the Tascam and Roland Interfaces in that price range are nice.

also if you want to check the disconntiued M-Audio Transit on ebay or so, this is also a great versatile device.
It´s not Class compliant but still with active driver support by M-Audio.

cheers :)
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

- MacBook Pro 13" 2011 i5@2.3GHz, intel HD3000, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.9.x / W7 Pro x64
- iPad Air, 16Gb
- MacBook C2D, 1,83GHz, intel GMA950, 2GB RAM, OSX 10.6.x / XP 32bit Home SP3
- iPad 2, 16GB
- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB
-> The (nearly) ultimate intel HD 3000 gaming performance sheet <-