8 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:51 AM

Blizzard Entertainment recently announcement that closed beta testing had begun on the upcoming action RPG sequel, Diablo III. Rock, Paper, Shotgun has posted some early information about the eagerly anticipated game's features.

In fact, much of the scenery is destructible, wagons can be pulverised, and even buildings can crumble as you explore them. Itís bizarre to experience, doubled by its being bizarre for destructible environments to feel so unusual in this genre. But this of course means I now feel obliged to demolish every table, cart and chair I encounter. I must smash. Smash all. And itís worth keeping an eye out of any interesting switches or levers, as giving these a tug might bring down some more ceiling furniture on nearby mobs.
Check out the full article at the link below.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:29 PM

Does it still require an always-on Internet connection to play even the single-player game? Oh, yeah it does. Meh.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#3 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:34 PM

Yes always on, and it sounds like an issue, because you can't loose the connection for even a few seconds without being booted... I hope they will take the feedback to heart during the beta and the final will at least allow a few minutes of disconnects...

#4 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1372 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:03 PM

I don't really care about always-on internet for Diablo because I was always on Battle.net with the old one anyway. I could see how it could be an issue for those with spotty internet though.

I know the Mac client was released as well. Does anyone know if there are first impressions of the mac client anywhere?

#5 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:32 AM

I don't care for the always-on internet stuff, but having since played Ubisofts games, most of which are always-online as well, its not too bad. A few disconnects here and there which always pauses the game, but overall i've had a seamless experience. My net's good enough, but I'm sure there's lots of Diablo fans out there who don't have the best net so this "feature" certainly is a downer for them.
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#6 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:55 AM

Always-on is slightly worse here: you can't pause the single-player game, and if you idle for an hour, it disconnects you, losing any progress since your last checkpoint. You get the benefits of Battle.net if you're into MP, but folks into single-player only are just getting shafted.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#7 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:47 PM

Yeah, because with two-year-old twins at home, I never have to pause a game. Posted Image

/sarcasm

/f.u. blizzard
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#8 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:13 PM

I agree, SP players are getting shafted. I'm primarily into single player myself. I tried MP in Diablo 2 and I actually didn't enjoy it at all. Much like with Starcraft 2, Blizzard is pushing battle.net more as a platform. Well perhaps "forcing" is a better word given you don't have a choice like with D3.
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#9 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:39 PM

You can't pause a single-player game? What kind of BS is that? I guess town portals will provide a new use now. *shakes head in confusion*
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.