• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2731 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:33 PM

yes feral is all I have to say

feral news release
Extremely highly rated game. Dues Ex back at it's roots by the look of it.

- Snake

Retina MBP: 2.3 GHz Quad i7 || 8 GB RAM  ||  650M 1 GB || OS X Yosemite

#2 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1437 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:28 PM

Not to rain on your thread parade (even though this is the section where the game discussion really belongs) but this is already being discussed at the IMG news post thread: http://www.insidemac...showtopic=42431

and the Feral's Latest Project Thread: http://www.insidemac...00

Quick note: I'm pending approval from Feral on a preview.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#3 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15921 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:36 AM

Not to shine sun on your rain storm, but it's cool that duplicate topics exist between IMG News and user posts, also it's alright that a game can have it's own thread while it's being discussed in a bundle thread such as Feral's Latest Project.

I'm very interested in a preview, I want to get this game but all the poor user reviews from the sequel that never made it to the Mac makes me very leery about smacking down the green for this one without some sort of reassurance.  Either some good reviews by people I trust or a demo.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#4 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:02 AM

Everyone gets wet in a pissing match.  :P

In any case, this is great news. I already got the PS3 version, but for those of you who don't have a console, this is definitely a must-get game.

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 13 September 2011 - 06:36 AM, said:

Not to shine sun on your rain storm, but it's cool that duplicate topics exist between IMG News and user posts

#5 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2731 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:31 AM

I've seen the other threads. I thought this game deserved it's own thread though. I suppose this thread could be deleted and we could move the one from the off topic forum in, or merge the two. Up to the all powerful tBC and his minions eric and frost I guess. ;)

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 13 September 2011 - 06:36 AM, said:

I'm very interested in a preview, I want to get this game but all the poor user reviews from the sequel that never made it to the Mac makes me very leery about smacking down the green for this one without some sort of reassurance.  Either some good reviews by people I trust or a demo.

I've played the first two. Obviously the first one is an absolute gem. The second one I thought was good, but compared to the first one was a throbbing pile of feces.

Haven't played or touched the third one yet, but the only downside I've heard people talk about is some of the boss battles. They seem to be a love hate thing. Most of the complaints seem to stem from joe gamer bombing through every mission without searching any levels, finding gear, or upgrading his character, then when he gets to the boss it's impossible for him to win cuz he hardly played the game at all, and thought that the first gun in the game was sufficient to haXXor all. I wouldn't call that a bad thing if the game punishes those people  :happy:
- Snake

#6 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15921 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:51 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 13 September 2011 - 08:31 AM, said:

I've seen the other threads. I thought this game deserved it's own thread though. I suppose this thread could be deleted and we could move the one from the off topic forum in, or merge the two. Up to the all powerful tBC and his minions eric and frost I guess. ;)
I've already blessed this thread son.  Don't make me come over there.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#7 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1437 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:48 PM

Hehe, I actually don't mind multiple threads, I was just worried about the discussion getting pulled in different ways and maybe that's because I'm so excited about the game I want to talk about it every chance I get. So no offense meant.

Deus Ex: Invisible War was a flaming pile of trash that shouldn't even be considered. Everyone can safely ignore it and pretend it never existed and life will merrily go on. I've actually already gotten a full review of this (DXHR) game written, (PC version, i'll make adjustments for Mac specifics once its released.)  and I'm currently working on a tips & tricks feature for it. Preview wise I'm waiting to get approval from Edwin (Feral)to put one up, sometimes its a PR or original Dev thing. I'll try and write the preview later tonight and hope Edwin gets back to me soon.

Will also be discussing this game on the MacGameCast this weekend. Due to the affects of the Hurricane I haven't been able to gather Frank & Ted for the podcast in the last few weeks.

P.S. I never heard mention of a demo so I think you're out of luck there. Well there was an unofficial "Press" demo, but that isn't quite the same thing.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)

#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15921 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:35 PM

Awesome Wumpus.  Now this is still a FPS/RPG hybrid right?  That is one of the things I loved about Deus Ex.  That and the sandbox way of approaching situations.  I loved to find different routes and set up movable crates, barrels and boxes that blocked the AI bots.  I would spend hours and hours replaying a fight a different way.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#9 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1437 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:41 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 13 September 2011 - 06:35 PM, said:

Awesome Wumpus.  Now this is still a FPS/RPG hybrid right?  That is one of the things I loved about Deus Ex.  That and the sandbox way of approaching situations.  I loved to find different routes and set up movable crates, barrels and boxes that blocked the AI bots.  I would spend hours and hours replaying a fight a different way.

It is still very much an FPS/RPG hybrid, although the shooting part now includes cover. And you will need to use it to stay alive, even with the Dermal Armor (like the ballistic augmentation from the first game) but it doesn't mean you *only* hide in cover. I tend to use it more to get around the battlefield and flank people before jumping out from behind cover and laying waste to my foes in a hail of lead and explosives. Alternatively if you have the cloaking augmentation (which you should) you can cloak and shoot which negates the need for cover altogether. Fully upgraded cloak and energy cells gives you 35 seconds of invisibility which is more than enough to finish most fights.

The game retains the same 3-4 ways to get around missions approach overall. While the city hubs are big, story missions themselves aren't as big as the first game. There's nothing the size of say Vandenberg for example on a story mission, but its still lots of fun. I've played the game through twice already (Steam tells me I've put 54 hours into the game) and I *still* want to play it again. It's that fun. There's always something new to discover. I would say its not as wildly divergent as the first game was capable of being, but it's still an excellent effort that satisfies.

#10 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:24 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 13 September 2011 - 06:35 PM, said:

I did this last night. I accidentally killed a guy that I only meant to knock out, so I loaded my last auto-save. I went back into the place I was supposed to investigate, then stacked up a couple of boxes in the doorway. The guy wouldn't enter the room because it was blocked. Then I closed the door, which pushed the boxes into the hallway, and went and took cover around a corner and he opened the door and came in. I snuck up behind him and did a non-lethal takedown.  :happy:

#11 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:30 AM

By the way, here's a *non-spoiler* on achievements. If you want to go through the whole game without killing anyone, (boss fights don't count), then you can't kill anyone even during the first tutorial, which is kinda bull.

#12 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15921 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:11 AM

This sounds like it is going to be my next game.    XxtraLarGe, be careful not to use a box of TNT to block a door.  In the first game opening the door against the TNT box would detonate it... unlike in the real world where it takes an explosion to set it off.  Does this game have TNT boxes?  If so would you try to block a door with one to see if this technique still works.

PS:  I edited the name of this topic so that it doesn't sound like we are talking about alimony.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#13 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3114 posts
  • Steam ID:ThainEshKelch

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:43 AM

View PostXxtraLarGe, on 14 September 2011 - 07:30 AM, said:

By the way, here's a *non-spoiler* on achievements. If you want to go through the whole game without killing anyone, (boss fights don't count), then you can't kill anyone even during the first tutorial, which is kinda bull.
Nah, that is just hardcore :P
"They're everywhere!"

And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m.

#14 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2731 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:00 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 14 September 2011 - 08:11 AM, said:

PS:  I edited the name of this topic so that it doesn't sound like we are talking about alimony.

What did I have the name as before? lol it looks the same to me
- Snake

#15 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1437 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:53 AM

View PostXxtraLarGe, on 14 September 2011 - 07:30 AM, said:

How do you not kill anyone during the tutorial? They don't give you any non-lethal weapons and you don't have take-downs yet. I guess you could wait awhile for the guards to be in a pattern or whatever then run/sneak by.

#16 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:03 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 14 September 2011 - 09:00 AM, said:

The next step will be to change the subtitle from "coming in the winter" to "Winter is coming." Mwahaha
Work: MacPro 2x3.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/16GB RAM/ATI HD5770,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Vista64
Home: MacPro 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon/8GB RAM/ATI HD4870,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Vista64

Beach: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

#17 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15921 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:31 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 14 September 2011 - 09:00 AM, said:

You had the title as "Dues Ex" ya big dummy.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#18 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3311 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:44 PM

*stewie from family guy* What the deuce?
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#19 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:55 PM

I haven't come across any TNT yet, but I think there are explosive barrels. Also, one thing that I really miss vs. the first game is non-lethal melee weapons. You can't knock guys out with a baton like you had in the original, so you end up using energy performing takedowns, which actually slows the game down quite a bit.

Another thing I wish you could do is use opponents for cover a la Splinter Cell.

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 14 September 2011 - 08:11 AM, said:

This sounds like it is going to be my next game.    XxtraLarGe, be careful not to use a box of TNT to block a door.  In the first game opening the door against the TNT box would detonate it... unlike in the real world where it takes an explosion to set it off.  Does this game have TNT boxes?  If so would you try to block a door with one to see if this technique still works.

#20 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15921 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:14 PM

View PostXxtraLarGe, on 14 September 2011 - 12:55 PM, said:

I haven't come across any TNT yet, but I think there are explosive barrels. Also, one thing that I really miss vs. the first game is non-lethal melee weapons. You can't knock guys out with a baton like you had in the original, so you end up using energy performing takedowns, which actually slows the game down quite a bit.

Another thing I wish you could do is use opponents for cover a la Splinter Cell.
Ack.  One of the things I really really liked was the trank dart mini-crossbow.  I hope that is still there.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat