PS3 Controller Pairing with OS X

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 revtheteke

revtheteke

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:06 PM

Hi--first time posting here...tried to google this first and couldn't find anything to solve my problem.

I use my PS3 controller to play games on OS X Emulators.  I recently bought a new Mac Mini to hook up to my TV so that I don't have to play on my laptop anymore.  In the past I've never had any trouble getting OS X to recognize my PS3 controller(s) via Bluetooth.  I just tried to connect one to my Mac Mini for the first time, though, and it asked me for a pass code.  I tried 0000, 1111, then tried all my normal passwords and pin numbers I use for various things, and nothing worked.  I then took a paper clip and reset the controller on the back via the reset pinhole, but I'm still having the same issue.  I also tried it on a second PS3 controller and it was the same story there.

Again, I speak as someone who has done this plenty of times on my laptop and I absolutely know how to get it to work under normal circumstances.  Can someone out there please help me know how to get the controller to pair?  I'm running the latest update of OS X Lion Server on the mini, and it's the OS X Bluetooth setup that is giving me the error message (nothing related to an emulator or what have you).

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:17 PM

I stumbled upon a discussion where someone has the same problem. But basically, it should work like this.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 revtheteke

revtheteke

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:00 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 02 September 2011 - 02:17 PM, said:

I stumbled upon a discussion where someone has the same problem. But basically, it should work like this.

Both of those are definitely relative to the problem I'm having.  The guy in the discussion you quoted has the exact same issue as I am, and the link to the instructions for how to pair is exactly what I'm used to doing...it's just not working for some reason.  Post #54 in the macrumors discussion may be on point.  I also wonder if it could be because I'm running Server, but there was someone in that thread who said they were having the same issue on a new MB Air, so I suppose it's an issue with the normal OS X as well.

#4 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:03 PM

Just a quick question here.. from what I've read it seems third party drivers can interfere so have you made sure not to install them and or uninstall them if you have?
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#5 revtheteke

revtheteke

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:12 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 02 September 2011 - 04:03 PM, said:

Just a quick question here.. from what I've read it seems third party drivers can interfere so have you made sure not to install them and or uninstall them if you have?

I've never installed any third party drivers on any of my stuff.  OS X already supported the PS3 Controller by the time I got into gaming and emulators, and so the method used as of Snow Leopard is the only thing I've ever known.

#6 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1448 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 01:58 AM

I have this installed on my MacPro. Native drivers or not, it doesn't seem to interfere/hinder my using a regular SIXAXIS I borrowed with DiRT 2 via Bluetooth or direct USB.
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#7 revtheteke

revtheteke

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:46 AM

For the record, I can't get the PS3 controller to work when plugged in via usb, either.  Granted, I've never had to do it that way before--I assume you just plug it in and that's it.  If there's something more I need to do to get it to work via usb, please let me know.  The lights come on and show that it's charging, but none of the buttons are working (and yes, that's after I checked the button configuration in the emulator).

#8 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1448 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:55 AM

Yeah, odd. God willing I'll try with an emulator when I get home but yes, I just plug it in and go... I've only really used it with DiRT 2. When you check System Information, it doesn't show up under USB or Bluetooth, respectively? On my setup it shows as PS3CONTROLLER( R )
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#9 revtheteke

revtheteke

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:14 PM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 03 September 2011 - 11:55 AM, said:

Yeah, odd. God willing I'll try with an emulator when I get home but yes, I just plug it in and go... I've only really used it with DiRT 2. When you check System Information, it doesn't show up under USB or Bluetooth, respectively? On my setup it shows as PS3CONTROLLER( R )

So I finally got it figured out!  However, now that I have done it once, I'm finding it troublesome to get back to the screen so that I can explain it to everyone else who may be having the same problem.  I'll do my best to explain, though.

First, the problem was that it was NOT show up as PS3CONTROLLER® in either Bluetooth or in Hardware under System Preferences.  But, when the previous poster suggested I open System Preferences to look for it there (rather than just under the drop down box from the menu bar), that led me to the look for it there.  I actually did not find it in the Bluetooth menu there.  Instead:

Go to System Preferences, then "Network".

Once into the "Network" menu, look for "Bluetooth PAN" on the left side of the screen.  Highlight it, then click on "Setup Bluetooth Device".  

Now, this is where it becomes hard to duplicate.  My Mac Mini (which I was trying to pair the controller to) was picking up my Macbook Pro and trying to pair to it.  I didn't want to do that, though, and I had just let that screen sit for a moment until I got an error message telling me that the pairing attempt between the two computers had failed.  At that point, the error message had some sort of a "More Information" or "Options" or "Advanced" or some kind of button like that to push.  I just happened to click on that, and there was an option to change the settings so that passcodes were not needed.  Again, I've not been able to duplicate the process, as I discovered this screen by sheer accident, but if you are having this problem and you can get to that screen, select the bottom option out of the three or four available, the one that says not to use a passcode for pairing.  After I changed that setting the PS3 Controller paired as per the normal instructions.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions, everyone.  The solution was a pure fluke, but you each helped lead me to said fluke, so it's much appreciated.

View PostJanichsan, on 02 September 2011 - 02:17 PM, said:

I was just now able to replicate the process, and the button to push on the error screen is "Passcode Options".  But, again, this could only be found after failing to pair to another computer--it was never an option for the controller error screen.

Janichsan, I am not a member of mac rumors.  If you are, could you post a link to this page so that the other people who were having this same problem can see this discussion??

#10 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 03 September 2011 - 04:13 PM

Nice that you figured it out! :thumbsup:

View Postrevtheteke, on 03 September 2011 - 03:14 PM, said:

Janichsan, I am not a member of mac rumors.  If you are, could you post a link to this page so that the other people who were having this same problem can see this discussion??
No, I'm not, but I think other people here are.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#11 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 02:26 AM

View Postrevtheteke, on 03 September 2011 - 03:14 PM, said:

could you post a link to this page so that the other people who were having this same problem can see this discussion??

Thanks for the tip, I am a member of both so I will see if I can make an updated video once done I will post the link in both locations.

Edwin

#12 Menoetius

Menoetius

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:22 PM

hey guys, Please join me by submitting negative feedback regarding this pairing issue

http://www.apple.com...ack/macosx.html

thanks

#13 Hawffa

Hawffa

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:25 PM

After trying to connect your controller, try this!!!! Shut down computer, unplug it from the back, wait 30 sec, then press the power button for 15 seconds, then plug your power back into the comp go to bluetooth top right corner. It should be there. it finally worked for me!!!!