13 replies to this topic

#1 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:39 PM

http://www.electroni...nd.core3d.tech/   ...and yes, I want one...

Creative brings Sound Blaster Recon3D sound card to IFA

updated 12:10 pm EDT, Thu September 1, 2011

Sound cards get quad-core Sound Core3D tech

Creative  unveiled a long-in-waiting revamp of its Sound Blaster sound cards  branded with the Recon3D name at IFA. They will use the company's Sound  Core3D tech, which it bills as the first in the world with a quad-core  sound and voice processor. The sound cards will accelerate THX TruStudio  Pro processing and also improve vocals with CrystalVoice.

Sound  Core3D uses the company's Quarter DSP and is also the first to get an  array of DSP cores with high-quality HD audio codecs for over 100dB on a  single chip.

The range-topping card is the Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion.  It sports a convenient I/O drive with headset mini-jacks, volume control  and audio inputs. A high-quality, beam-forming microphone with  CrystalVoice Echo Cancellation, CrystalVoice Focus and CrystalVoice  Active Noise Reduction is included. It allows gamers to send nothing but  their voice while gaming. This card is due to arrive in the winter of  2012, though prices haven't been announced.

Next up is the Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional, which skips  the I/O drive in favor of connections on the card itself. Ship dates  haven't been revealed.

Finally, the core Sound Blaster Recon3D sound card provides the hardware acceleration but few extras. It ships later this year.

The PCI Express cards have 6-channel, 24-bit, 102dB DACs, 4-channel,  24-bit, 101dB analog-to-digital (ADC) converters, an integrated  headphone amplifier-out, a digital microphone interface, S/PDIF inputs  and outputs, and general purpose inputs and outputs (GPIO). They are Mac  compatible.

Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion

Posted Image

Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional

Posted Image

OS X 10.10.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3520 2.66GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GTX680 2GB

#2 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3206 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:55 PM

Many sound cards claim to be mac compatible but only for 2 channel basic sound and passthrough sound for movies. Basically the same kind of support as the built in Mac audio. Much of the other stuff needs drivers\utility and those tend to not get ported. Also this is only good for Mac Pros unless they come out with a breakout box that hooks up via USB\firewire\thunderbolt. That Core3D tech with a quad core audio chip does sound good though if it works with OS X and no having the word Core in the name doesn't automatically guarantee that it'll accelerate CoreAudio. ;)
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#3 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:47 AM

...only good for MacPros? Fine with me... I don't purchase a Mac, ever, that I don't plan on gaming on...
OS X 10.10.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3520 2.66GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GTX680 2GB

#4 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3206 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:01 AM

Why did you have to go and say something like that? I'm shocked. Other mac models are good for gaming too. I expect something like that more from other forums with more non-apple users in them. Some people would say a Xeon is overkill for gaming but I don't mind\care. Just watch your mouth there.  :bleedingeyes: Seriously did you have a bad day or something?
--Tetsuo

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#5 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:40 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 02 September 2011 - 02:01 AM, said:

Some people would say a Xeon is overkill for gaming but I don't mind\care.
It's not about the CPU, it's about the GPU.

--Eric

#6 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3206 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:21 AM

Depends on the software you are using. There exists software that is more CPU dependent than GPU dependent including games software. Dolphin for example benefits from Ghz speeds over 3GHz... the more the better as well. Also the more stuff you do in software the faster a CPU you need. So that's not always true.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#7 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:23 PM

You misunderstand.  When it comes to games (that aren't likely to take advantage of 6/12 cores), the CPU(s) in the Mac Pro don't really have much over the CPU in, say, an i7 iMac.  The main difference for gaming is going to be the GPU, namely being able to use a "proper" one and not mobile.

--Eric

#8 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 01:41 AM

Yeah, it's usually down to the GPU- the Mac Radeon 9800 Pro and some CFG  editing allowed me to play through Doom 3 on my old MDD G4 1GHz.

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 02 September 2011 - 02:01 AM, said:

Other mac models are good for gaming too.

"Good" is a very relative term. I'll further explain since my statement seems to have hurt your feelings...

EDIT: I don't purchase a Mac, ever, that I don't plan on having a really good experience gaming on because I like to turn everything up and have the game still not slow down because I'm nitpicky like that and only get a new Mac every few years so being able to swap the GPU/CPU's also very important... if I thought otherwise I'd still be happy playing Arashi on my first Mac- a Performa 630CD. Awesome. Well... Doom II didn't choke too much on it...

#9 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3206 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:42 AM

Well when I say "good" I'm not talking about under 20FPS or low settings either.... and saying you'd still be playing "Arashi" on your Performa is an excaggeration at best. I'm just saying you can have a "insert word the word here that you like to describe a more than acceptable experience" with models other than a Mac Pro. On the other hand being able to swap out things like your video card is a good thing.. I'm not disputing that.

Also take it from me your CPU was limiting you on the 1GHz machine as well. It was limiting me on my 1.4GHz G4 as well especially since the MINIMUM requirement for Doom 3 was something like 1.6Ghz. So both the GPU and CPU weren't enough to play it with more than low settings. Even if you where to put an awesome card on there it the CPU would have still been a bottleneck as well as the system bus.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#10 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:18 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 03 September 2011 - 02:42 AM, said:

Also take it from me your CPU was limiting you on the 1GHz machine as well. It was limiting me on my 1.4GHz G4 as well especially since the MINIMUM requirement for Doom 3 was something like 1.6Ghz. So both the GPU and CPU weren't enough to play it with more than low settings. Even if you where to put an awesome card on there it the CPU would have still been a bottleneck as well as the system bus.

TweakGuides.com - Doom 3 Boom! The ultimate guide to tweaking Doom 3 to leave it looking good and playing well on my MDD G4/1GHz/Radeon 9800 Pro system! I never pay attention to frames per second readouts... it changes constantly, is reason for contention and doesn't make sense to cry about if what I'm seeing leaves a good experience for me. Meh.

#11 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3206 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:59 AM

I'm well aware of tweak guides and have been around long enough to know about them. For many games now I use cvars to get MORE quality out of them than the in-game menus provide. Turning off or stuff down may have been fine for you back then so it was for me as I couldn't afford to upgrade but you have to admit that you weren't running the game anywhere near its full potential even though the results where acceptable to you.  You where turning the detail down below the minimum specs although apparently that was fine for you at the time. Which is strange going by what you where saying earlier. I mean.. that sounds like a complete flip flop of what you said earlier.

BTW, my original response here was mostly not directed at or for you by the way. More for people who have systems like me who might wonder if they could use the sound card you mentioned. Obviously it didn't apply to you considering you aren't one of those people. You could have thought "well since I have a Mac Pro this doesn't apply to me" and leave it at that and not have a knee jerk response to it.

Although the one part that could have applied to you was the part where I say they may not release drivers to access the advanced features of that sound card for OS X so it'd only function as a basic sound card. That is unless you are intending on using it with Bootcamp.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#12 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:12 AM

Well if it should be Mac compatible shouldn't that imply that native drivers should be available? If not, I can't see this card being purchased for use other than to use via Boot Camp, which I don't do anyway- do sound cards work without drivers in Macs?

#13 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3206 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:32 AM

Yes actually many cards claim to support the Mac but only with the built in drivers so thusly they only do basic sound support. Kind of like how many game controllers do the same thing although third parties have written drivers for them. Who knows there may be a third party driver for this sound card if creative labs doesn't do it themselves. Some sound cards simply need utilities to get the extra functions and the manufacturer doesn't write those utilities for the Mac yet claim Mac support. Point is it's not automatic unfortunately. Would be great though because theoretically speaking this sort of thing could do advanced sound while at the same time offloading it from your CPU making your games faster.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#14 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:46 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 06 September 2011 - 01:32 AM, said:

Would be great though because theoretically speaking this sort of thing could do advanced sound while at the same time offloading it from your CPU making your games faster.

This is my concern considering– to the best of my memory, Creative's last SoundBlaster card for Mac actually suffered from giving the CPU more overhead and caused games to lose performance. Does Apple have an implementation of, perhaps, OpenAL libraries developers can use to utilize an installed sound card that can offset audio processing to said sound card? I'm afraid of this set suffering from the same fate if they develop their own drivers... either way I'm happy for the Mac announcement and hope it wasn't a typo!

*takes wait-and-see attitude*