Did Assassin's Creed II just break itself?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:13 PM

So all of a sudden when I launch AC2 the mouse doesn't work and the keyboard doesn't work half the time. Right before the issues started happening I noticed in Steam that the game was downloading some sort of data. Did it just download a patch that broke the game? (I don't think so, the app says it was updated in May.) Anyone know where it keeps preferences?

I'm on 10.7.1, by the way. Game was working flawlessly just a few hours ago...

#2 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2009 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:57 AM

This doesn't sound quite the same as your problem, but my experience with the game has been very frustrating. The keyboard never worked for me until finally in frustration I tried my Apple keyboard in place of my Microsoft keyboard (REALLY shouldn't matter) and got it to work once. Then it stopped working, and also started crashing on startup.

I gave up on it completely for a while, but 2 days ago found that by completely unplugging the Microsoft keyboard and only using the Apple keyboard I've had keys work 2 out of 3 times I've run it. And it's only crashed on launch 1 out of the last 4 runs. I'm hoping this isn't a statistical fluke so I can finally start playing this game.

Ubisoft support says "known issue", but of course these are not new problems and there's still no patch or workaround other than "cross fingers". Even worse, I saw a user review that AC: Brotherhood has the same problems, which just boggles the mind. (How hard is it to recognize a dirt-common USB keyboard properly??)

Never had a problem with the mouse though. Not yet anyway..

EDIT: Should have mentioned, I'm not playing the Steam version.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#3 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2009 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:04 PM

Someone posted a plausible-looking solution for the mouse problem. They're also running Lion.
http://forums.ubi.co...16/m/1481017539

As for the keyboard problem, like I said it's always been intermittent for me and for other people. At least the game starts up quickly so you aren't left in suspense whether it's working or not. (Interestingly enough, Command-Q ALWAYS works.) The only solution I've seen posted is to relaunch the game and try again. To which I'll add, try disconnecting other keyboards, particularly ones you've never gotten to work with AC.

Good luck!

#4 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:04 PM

Thanks, Matt. That worked. I guess AC doesn't fully like Resume.

I hope Ubisoft releases a Lion update at some point. Though I doubt it--they still haven't eliminated the always-on internet requirement (which has been absent on the PC version for quite a while now).

#5 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:57 PM

View PostCougar, on 31 August 2011 - 01:04 PM, said:

Thanks, Matt. That worked. I guess AC doesn't fully like Resume.

I hope Ubisoft releases a Lion update at some point. Though I doubt it--they still haven't eliminated the always-on internet requirement (which has been absent on the PC version for quite a while now).

I've seen the inability to recognise the keyboard now and then as well (Apple Wired Aluminium Keyboard) - on one occasion only a restart of the computer would fix it. Worse was I once had one complete freeze that I couldn't even force quit from and had to do a forced shutdown :(
The DRM is a real pain - even though I have a good wired internet connection I still get pauses waiting for the server and after a few I usually get fed up hence why I haven't keep playing even though the story seams intersting. It's not very encouraging that the Mac release hasn't received the same treatment as the PC to remove this. Splinter cell also seems buggy and the installers so far have all had problems with alternate install locations (not everyone wants everything in their main applications folder).

#6 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2009 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:07 PM

Funny you should mention the DRM. Tonight I can't connect, so I can't play. The problem is on their end, of course.

It was too much to expect it to run 3 nights in a row. What a ridiculous situation. They must really hate their customers. Is the DRM on Brotherhood just as bad?

#7 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:13 PM

And I thought the problem was on my end. Same issue. This is the first time this has happened, though.

Brotherhood is better: it requires an internet connection only when installing the game.

Edit: Ha, their support site is down too.

#8 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2009 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:31 AM

Yeah, noticed the support site. Maybe a DOS attack, or maybe they just were getting a flood of "game isn't launching" support questions and pulled the plug.

If the internet issue is rare then maybe I won't give up on it. It's just really frustrating to attempt to play this game. Does the Steam version bypass Ubisoft's DRM in favor of Steam's? I'd consider buying the game again if so- it's cheaper than putting my fist through the monitor.

#9 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:59 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 01 September 2011 - 05:31 AM, said:

Yeah, noticed the support site. Maybe a DOS attack, or maybe they just were getting a flood of "game isn't launching" support questions and pulled the plug.

If the internet issue is rare then maybe I won't give up on it. It's just really frustrating to attempt to play this game. Does the Steam version bypass Ubisoft's DRM in favor of Steam's? I'd consider buying the game again if so- it's cheaper than putting my fist through the monitor.

The point is they owe Mac users the same as Windows - just patch the game to remove the constant connection requirement. It's not like it is the latest title now.

#10 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:19 PM

The Steam version still has the DRM. However, it's SteamPlay, so you could use Windows if you have that option.

That said, I wouldn't recommend "rewarding" Ubisoft for their incompetence by buying another copy of the game. As Mattw said, they need to patch it to get rid of the DRM.

#11 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2009 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:10 AM

View PostCougar, on 01 September 2011 - 01:19 PM, said:

That said, I wouldn't recommend "rewarding" Ubisoft for their incompetence by buying another copy of the game. As Mattw said, they need to patch it to get rid of the DRM.

I agree in principle. But a) that's not going to happen, and b) pragmatically, I'm wasting time trying to get this game to work, and I'm willing spend a little more money to save time. I have more of the the former than the latter.

Last night it was working again, though I had to launch it 3 times (crash on launch; then I forgot to unplug my MS keyboard.) It's easy to forgive Ubi once the game starts working, it's that good, but you hate yourself for putting up with it.

#12 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:39 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 02 September 2011 - 09:10 AM, said:

I agree in principle. But a) that's not going to happen, and b) pragmatically, I'm wasting time trying to get this game to work, and I'm willing spend a little more money to save time. I have more of the the former than the latter.

Well, at the very least, email them and complain. If they don't receive complaints, and people buy multiple copies of their products, they have no incentive to change their behavior.

I just sent them a polite inquiry about the DRM removal and the status of a lion update. Crossing fingers I get more than a canned reply.

Edit: so apparently I was wrong: The patch the PC received only removed the always-on internet requirement, not the authentication on game launch. PC players also experienced the login issue the other day.

#13 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2009 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 06:23 PM

Very true. I'm a big believer in giving companies feedback. Most of the time it doesn't do any good, but NOT complaining has even less chance.

(Case in point, earlier this year my game for iOS broke on the iPad 2, and noone bothered to tell me for months. They just got refunds from Apple, who in their infinite wisdom don't bother letting developers know why iOS games are being returned.)

#14 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 03 September 2011 - 06:23 PM, said:

Very true. I'm a big believer in giving companies feedback. Most of the time it doesn't do any good, but NOT complaining has even less chance.

(Case in point, earlier this year my game for iOS broke on the iPad 2, and noone bothered to tell me for months. They just got refunds from Apple, who in their infinite wisdom don't bother letting developers know why iOS games are being returned.)

Anyone got a real e-mail address or can someone on IMG staff perhaps ask their contact if the Mac will ever get a patch to make the DRM happen only on launch like on the PC and also find out what will happen in a few years when they decide not to bother with running the server anymore?  - I tried playing the game again today for around an hour but got fed up with it stopping and saying it lost connection to the server :(

I notice out of all the recent Ubisoft games they have only put AC2 on the Mac App Store so far - does that version not have the same DRM as I didn't think it was permitted there?

#15 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3682 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones
  • Steam ID:Meriones

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:38 PM

View Postmattw, on 19 February 2012 - 01:39 PM, said:

Anyone got a real e-mail address or can someone on IMG staff perhaps ask their contact if the Mac will ever get a patch to make the DRM happen only on launch like on the PC and also find out what will happen in a few years when they decide not to bother with running the server anymore?  - I tried playing the game again today for around an hour but got fed up with it stopping and saying it lost connection to the server :(

I notice out of all the recent Ubisoft games they have only put AC2 on the Mac App Store so far - does that version not have the same DRM as I didn't think it was permitted there?
Hmmm, you are right. I always assumed that the Mac (Steam) version had normal Steam DRM; an internet connection was not even needed for game launch. …well that was certainly not the case, as when I turned my network off, the game took its sweet time in connecting to the server again. This has actually made me rather fed up.

So, in answer to your question, unless Apple seriously strong-armed  Ubisoft about this, the normal DRM we all know and hate would most definitely be there.

Liberator.

I still do not understand why the popsnizzlety DRM is on Steam at all. :angry:

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 8GB RAM | 10.8.2 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#16 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:58 PM

View Postmattw, on 19 February 2012 - 01:39 PM, said:

Anyone got a real e-mail address or can someone on IMG staff perhaps ask their contact...
I have a number of contacts as far as gaming and game devs go, but I've never been able to reach Ubisoft on any level. I've tried using contact forms, emails, phone calls even, they are very difficult to get a hold of, and seem entirely unresponsive to someone representing IMG. So in short...probably not. Its possible someone like Tuncer has a contact or email since they get Ubisofts stuff on MGS. There's a thought, I'll ask him and see if he knows.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#17 Mr Pink

Mr Pink

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:03 PM

I'm having trouble with getting the DVD version of Assassin's Creed 2 to run.
The installation is already faulty, it places the Game in a folder with no access rights.
The game doesn't launch and quits 'unexpectedly'.

Does anyone know if the game is compatible with Mavericks anyway?

#18 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3682 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones
  • Steam ID:Meriones

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:23 PM

View PostMr Pink, on 28 July 2014 - 03:03 PM, said:

I'm having trouble with getting the DVD version of Assassin's Creed 2 to run.
The installation is already faulty, it places the Game in a folder with no access rights.
The game doesn't launch and quits 'unexpectedly'.

Does anyone know if the game is compatible with Mavericks anyway?
Nah, I believe it is not.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 8GB RAM | 10.8.2 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#19 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:49 AM

This is another game I've played from time to time but not finished.

I just checked it on 10.9.4 and it still works OK for me (DVD version) but I was probably on 10.6 when it was originally installed so it has gone through a few OS X upgrades and boot disk clones since then...

#20 Mr Pink

Mr Pink

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:26 AM

I just tried installing and running it on my MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard.
It's the same result there, so I gather there must be something wrong with my DVD...