17 replies to this topic

#1 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1191 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:11 AM

Mac/PC, Gamer'sGate, Civilization V for $16.98 — 66% OFF!

I believe Aspyr allows the game to be played via Steam so you should be able to redeem the code with Steam for Steam Play– someone might want to correct me if I'm wrong. I already bought this title for sale via Steam. Big upgrade from the last version I had; Civ III although both had good mechanics.

Enjoy.
OS X 10.10.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3520 2.66GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GTX680 2GB

#2 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:55 AM

Just had a quick look and that applies in the UK version of the site too :) Will definitely pick this up when I get home from work!

#3 MSosa01

MSosa01

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:45 AM

This sounds like a great deal, is there a catch? Any restrictions on the game? I've never used Steam, I'm I required to play through it? BTW I would also be moving up from Civ III Complete.
The world has changed.
I can feel it in the water,
I can feel it in the earth,
I can smell it in the air.
Much that once was is lost,
for now none live who remember.
from the Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien

#4 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1191 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:43 AM

View PostMSosa01, on 26 August 2011 - 02:45 AM, said:

This sounds like a great deal, is there a catch? Any restrictions on the game? I've never used Steam, I'm I required to play through it? BTW I would also be moving up from Civ III Complete.

Its the full game, period–sans DLC, of course, but you can purchase DLC later. It doesn't require Steam but Steam facilitates finding/playing multiplayer games easier. Civ III Complete was my last version of Civ as well. Make sure you can run it. ;)
OS X 10.10.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3520 2.66GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GTX680 2GB

#5 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7161 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:07 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 26 August 2011 - 05:43 AM, said:

It doesn't require Steam...
Sure it does. The usual versions of Civ V don't run without Steam. The only version that does is the MAS version – but that has no multiplayer at all and probably won't get any new DLC apart from those that already part of this edition.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#6 MSosa01

MSosa01

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:28 AM

What is the MAS version? Does it require me to use this Steam service even if I want to play single player?

Also the Apple store has Civ 5 Campaign Edition, how does that differ?
The world has changed.

#7 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1739 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:55 AM

MAS is none Steam version and has no DLC nor multiplayer.

MAS CE version is above + some DLC.

Steam version is the version to get.

#8 MSosa01

MSosa01

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:01 PM

MAS = Mac Apple Store? Thanks for the suggestion, I'll pick up on this deal, although I just heard from Aspyr that my Civ 3 Complete will run on Lion.
The world has changed.

#9 AspyrRyan

AspyrRyan

Aspyr

• Developer
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:58 PM

Right. The Mac App Store version is the Campaign edition.  The main differences are that it doesn't require Steam, and so lacks the features provided by Steamworks such as internet multiplayer and achievements.  It includes the Babylon DLC by default, but the rest of the DLC is not yet available.

#10 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:41 PM

I've downloaded and the Gamersgate Version is the full steam supported one. When I double clicked the installation icon after downloading the 2.9 GB it also loaded me into steam brought up a Steam registrations window. So I have Civ V registered. However Steam now wants to install the game at 4GB ...  is there no way to use the installation files I just downloaded ?

#11 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1191 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:54 AM

View PostSargiel, on 26 August 2011 - 11:41 PM, said:

I've downloaded and the Gamersgate Version is the full steam supported one. When I double clicked the installation icon after downloading the 2.9 GB it also loaded me into steam brought up a Steam registrations window. So I have Civ V registered. However Steam now wants to install the game at 4GB ...  is there no way to use the installation files I just downloaded ?

I don't think so–I think you should have gone directly to Steam and redeemed the code.

#12 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:15 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 27 August 2011 - 02:54 AM, said:

I don't think so–I think you should have gone directly to Steam and redeemed the code.

Doh! :D

Edit: Ooo wait! I clicked next etc for it to install on steam... And then lo and behold it's 'installing from the disk'! So no more downloading! I love you Gamers Gate! :)

#13 MSosa01

MSosa01

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:41 PM

This online process is not nearly as easy as buying through the Apple Store. I had to create accounts at GamerGate and Steam, had to install several different applications- one from GamersGate, then something from Civ V but it wasn't the actual game. Now Steam wants me to activate my purchase?! WTF, I just paid for this. Alright, I enter the code and get this message:

"Please first activate the original game, the product code you've entered requires ownership of another product before activation. If you are trying to activate an expansion pack.... please first activate the original game, then the additional content."

I am activating the original game, Civ V! Wow, first and last time I buy games that are not through the Apple store. Anyone know what I am doing wrong here?

I'm going to eject the nearly 3gb initial installation and try again using the GamersGate Downloader. Maybe because a couple of days passed since I did the initial download it is not being recognized by Steam.

Update: Nope, still giving me the same message! Aargh.
The world has changed.

#14 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 12:18 AM

The process I followed was: -

1) Purchase from Gamers Gate

2) Download Civ V (Mac) using the Gamers Gate downloader (2.9GB)

3) Opened the Civ V package and double clicked on the installer

4) I already had a steam account so when I did this it opened Steam then asked me for my activation Key

5) Input key into steam as requested then clicked for it to install .. then it installed from the Gamers Gate download then patched itself and all was done.

Note that the key only shows on the PC version listed in your My Games section of Gamers Gate. I thought this was a bit odd as why would I look there for it when I wanted it for Mac ? I nearly raised a ticket as I couldn't find it - then raised a ticket anyway to say maybe they should change that moving forward.

#15 MSosa01

MSosa01

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 10:09 AM

Yep, I found the key in the PC version too, but it is asking me to install another product before activation. I did buy several expansions with it but it is the base game I'm trying to install first. I'm at a loss here.
The world has changed.

#16 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:29 PM

Did you try re-running the installer you downloaded from GG after you'd got your steam account up and running ? It was fairly seamless for me - but then I already had Steam installed, registered and up and running before I ran the installer. Don't know if that should make a difference or not but it's worth a try. The error message you got is very random as there's only the one product and one key in this instance.

#17 MSosa01

MSosa01

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:41 AM

Finally got it to work today! If I was really anxious to play this game I would not have been happy.
The world has changed.

#18 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:10 AM

Hehe congrats! :)

Game is running great for me except a minor annoyance RE the resolution settings retention. For some reason if keeps changing me back to a 60Hz version of my resolution when I load the game which is blurry so I have to change the resolution every time. Slightly annoying and I've raised a ticket with Aspyr. Anyone else encountered this ?

Actually it's a bit odd in general. I've spotted it on several games but my desktop resolution is actually 60hz so I don't know why on some games I have to tell it to use 50hz to have a nice display.