New Version of Age of Empires III released

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ironicchef

ironicchef

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:53 AM

Version 1.0.6 has just been released.  This patch fixes a few issues, most notably, the crash/freeze that occurs when running on OS X 10.7 Lion.

Here's the official patch location: http://destineergame...ort/?page_id=88

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7098 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:12 PM

MacSoft... lives? And supports their games? :blink:

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:56 PM

Didn't see that one coming - but nice gesture :)

#4 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3178 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:24 PM

Bring in the Dr. to check the pulse on this studio. ;)  :unsure: Are they really alive though or is this the zombie of macsoft come to haunt us?  :bleedingeyes: Should we hope that they port a new game or two? Now that I'm very unsure about whether or not I should.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#5 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 1987 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:49 AM

Wow.

This weekend I quit Civ V cold turkey and tried to install 2 games from my backlog. Aspyr's Homeworld 2 gave me grief over the serial # so I have a ticket open for that, no reply from them yet. Assassin's Creed 2 simply doesn't recognize my Microsoft keyboard ever, and with my Apple keyboard it's 50/50. So I have a ticket open with Ubisoft as well. Most of my game-playing time over the last 2 days was used up wrestling with these things instead of playing, so I'm not happy.

Maybe I should be playing AoE3 instead.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#6 ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data

Positronic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:07 AM

Were the expansions not effected by Lion compatibility issues since they didn't seem to get corresponding updates?

Now maybe they'll get around to providing a UB installer for UT2004 and Age of Mythology.

#7 bismilah

bismilah

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:18 AM

View Postltcommander.data, on 23 August 2011 - 11:07 AM, said:

Now maybe they'll get around to providing a UB installer for UT2004 and Age of Mythology.
these 2 games are UB already
Did you mean a 10.7 fix ?

#8 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7098 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:06 AM

View Postbismilah, on 24 August 2011 - 03:18 AM, said:

these 2 games are UB already
The games - yes. The installers - no. That means when you'd want to completely reinstall either UT2k4 or AoM from the discs under Lion, you are screwed. (The same's true for WarCraft III, by the way.)

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#9 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7098 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:32 AM

View Postltcommander.data, on 23 August 2011 - 11:07 AM, said:

Were the expansions not effected by Lion compatibility issues since they didn't seem to get corresponding updates?
I guess the expansions used the affected parts and routines from the main application, so they don't need to be updated.

#10 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3353 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:23 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 24 August 2011 - 04:06 AM, said:

The same's true for WarCraft III, by the way
Even the one you can download by signing up with Blizzard and entering your CD key?

#11 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7098 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:14 AM

View Postbobbob, on 01 September 2011 - 05:23 PM, said:

Even the one you can download by signing up with Blizzard and entering your CD key?
Apparently yes.

#12 Tesseract

Tesseract

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3492 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:47 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 22 August 2011 - 01:24 PM, said:

Bring in the Dr. to check the pulse on this studio. ;)  :unsure: Are they really alive though or is this the zombie of macsoft come to haunt us?  :bleedingeyes: Should we hope that they port a new game or two? Now that I'm very unsure about whether or not I should.
What are you talking about? They're totally bringing UT3 to the Mac.

#13 Togglemeister

Togglemeister

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:20 PM

It doesn't work for 10.5.8 and my saved tutorial saved game crashes everytime I try to launch it. Maybe a ram issue still?
(Now) Late 2013 27" 3.4 ghz iMac, stock configurations.
(Then) 2005 Powermac G5 Dual Core 2.3 ghz, Leopard, 256mb nvidia 6600GT.
(Archived) DA w/Single Sonnet G4 1.4 ghz  2mb L3, Tiger, 1 gb ram, 128 mb ati 9800 pro (AGP)

#14 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7098 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:05 AM

View PostTogglemeister, on 12 November 2013 - 11:20 PM, said:

It doesn't work for 10.5.8 and my saved tutorial saved game crashes everytime I try to launch it. Maybe a ram issue still?
Is this still the same saved game or did you try and start a new single player campaign? Maybe you save file is simply corrupted. It's admittedly quite a while since I played a campaign game in AoE III (pre-Lion), but I never had problems with the game crashing on loading a saved state.

#15 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 1987 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:09 PM

> Assassin's Creed 2 simply doesn't recognize my Microsoft keyboard ever, and with my Apple keyboard it's 50/50.

I had a similar problem. Reported it to Ubisoft while the game was still fairly new, waited a while only to get a boilerplate reply. So don't expect much from them. I can't imagine what they did to screw up USB keyboard input, but somehow they did.

Apple keyboard always worked in my case. I forget if I had to completely unplug my MS keyboard, or if I could just put it to one side. But the game would sometimes start acting on phantom keystrokes after a couple hours of play, and I'd have quit and lose some progress when that happened.  

You might consider creating a vanilla user account with no extra drivers installed, and seeing if the game plays better that way.

Despite the hassles I enjoyed the game immensely, which is saying something.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#16 Togglemeister

Togglemeister

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:16 AM

I dumped my saved files, reinstalled the game from 1.0.5 and then 1.0.6. I created a new saved game but it still kept on crashing. I had an idea to start a new game, and then reload my saved game while the current game was paused. That method worked!!! Now the program doesn't crash anymore, well at least with this method.
(Now) Late 2013 27" 3.4 ghz iMac, stock configurations.
(Then) 2005 Powermac G5 Dual Core 2.3 ghz, Leopard, 256mb nvidia 6600GT.
(Archived) DA w/Single Sonnet G4 1.4 ghz  2mb L3, Tiger, 1 gb ram, 128 mb ati 9800 pro (AGP)