4 replies to this topic

#1 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:35 PM

I'm going to begrudgingly install Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro.  I have 200 GB of space on a 750 GB HD left. How much of that should I use for the Windows 7 partition? It will be used mostly for windows-only type stuff like MS Access or Visual Studio .NET, though I might play a few old-school games via Steam. I don't want to be stingy, but I also don't want to waste space either.

#2 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:12 AM

I'd go for at least 50GB with no details on the games involved but with the OS + VS + Office and additions you should have about 30-35GB for games which is good if you decide to play a new game as those tend to eat up a lot of disk space.

#3 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:47 AM

Thanks!

View PostHansi, on 19 August 2011 - 03:12 AM, said:

I'd go for at least 50GB with no details on the games involved but with the OS + VS + Office and additions you should have about 30-35GB for games which is good if you decide to play a new game as those tend to eat up a lot of disk space.

#4 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:31 AM

You can always add more space if needed, (I think) through Bootcamp Assistant. 50GB should be enough for you, especially if you are not installing more than just a few newish games. I had Win 7 on the iMac (below in my sig). I found it surprisingly good,  and as said the amount of space should definitely be enough. You may  want to try to disconnect the Win partition whenever you are in OSX,  otherwise it will be noticeably slower; with Spotlight constantly trying to index it and other useless functions occurring frequently. I found applications took at least twice as long to launch and be ready to use, while other general functions would sometimes hang and be less responsive.

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#5 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:11 PM

I just leave these here for maintanence help:
When you suddenly ran out of disk space on your Bootcamp partition, you can clean out deleting the crashdumps from both %LOCALAPPDATA% and the Temp directories. It freed 50GB from my 100GB Partition. Now I have way to much space ;)
Under Bootcamp try https://windirstat.info/ to find those space wasters!
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

8 - iPhone SE, 16GB
7- iPad Pro 12.9", WiFi 128GB
6- MacMini 7,1: i5@2.6GHZ, 8GB, Intel Iris (5100)
5- iPad Air, 16Gb
4- MacBook Pro 8,1:  i5@2.3GHz, intel HD3000, 8GB RAM
3- iPad 2, 16GB
2- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB
1- MacBook 1,1, 1,83GHz, intel GMA950, 2GB RAM
-> The (nearly) ultimate intel HD 3000 gaming performance sheet <-