#41 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:39 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 24 July 2011 - 07:07 AM, said:

Not anymore. Since they have been bought by ngcomo, they no longer make Mac software. Hordes of Orcs 2 was an odd exception.

To be fair, they were headed that way before the purchase by ngmoco. That was just the culmination.

View Postsmoke_tetsu said:

To be honest with you it seems most games and applications survive purely by chance.

Exactly right. Game companies just can't afford to actively support titles more than a year or two, unless there's DLC, ads, or subscriptions involved. If you are lucky, you get a company or individual developer who goes the extra mile out of love, or because it's their only product. Or the source gets passed on to a community that takes on the support task (e.g. Myth 2.) But in general, a game just happen to keep running until one day it doesn't.

Apple has had a lot of transitions that tend to break old software. I firmly believe that consumers have benefited through improved OS stability and security, but at the same time, I'm not happy about the cost.

So I understand Freeverse's move entirely. Arguably a more righteous approach than quietly continuing to sell the non-universal game (I'm looking at you, Weird Worlds.)

Not sure why Freeverse pulled Burning Monkey Solitaire though- v4 was a Universal build and apparently runs under Lion if you disable the opening animation. So not too hard to fix.. I went ahead and bought a copy (new) from Amazon, while they're still available.

I'm speculating that over time there may very well be unofficial support for a few of the games from their original developers. And when I asked Aaron Fothergill about Airburst Extreme, he mentioned that Strange Flavor is considering some options, including possibly making a new Airburst game.

==

I know Inside Mac Games doesn't do much in the way of features anymore but IMHO they should be doing one or more features on all this, getting quotes from Aspyr, Freeverse, Feral and so on, maybe getting scoops from developers who are stepping up to support their old games. It's kind of a big deal, and although most of us here saw it coming, the average person doesn't know how to get a list of all their PowerPC applications, and some upgraded to Lion only to find some of their stuff no longer runs. And they aren't mad at Apple, they're blaming at the software companies.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#42 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:37 AM

I'm not really all that surprised by any of this. I still would have liked to see Apple keep Rosetta around for a while longer but fortunately it's absence doesn't appear like it's going to hurt me much if at all. I never did finish Baldur's Gate 2 or icewind Dale. I always meant to get around to it but there's been a steady stream of other games to occupy me. And frankly I'm so backed up with games that I need to play that I doubt I'd ever get back to those games again. Other than that I don't see any real big losses for me but I won't know for sure until I upgrade. I don't yet know when that's going to be but I'm not in any rush.

I know I can always get the GOG versions of those games and put them in a wrapper but will I be able to use the saved games from the Mac versions I've accumulated so far?

-PN
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.12.3
iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi/iPhone 6+ 64GB

#43 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:37 AM

View Postclocknova, on 24 July 2011 - 09:28 AM, said:

Ahhhh, iOS.  What a mixed blessing that has turned out to be.  Personally, I hate the influence it has had on Lion, and won't upgrade until someone creates some software that restores some of Snow Leopard's functionality (Spaces, in particular).  Ah, well.  That's progress.

The things that really bugs me about spaces... errr... mission control is that you can't rename or reorder the desktops manually and that you can only assign apps to spaces from the dock in the right click menu and they had chosen to remove those settings from the preference pane. They don't even give you a list of desktops in the right click menu for the item you can only assign it to the space you are currently in so if you wanted to assign an app to a certain space you have to first move the app to the space and then go into the right click menu in the dock. I can see people missing being able to order the spaces in a grid rather than always side by side though. But other than those things it's still the same spaces I knew from Snow Leopard I'm using it basically the same way.... except I now run Safari full screen instead of devoting a space to it so I have three spaces setup instead of four.... also I now have a different desktop background in each space which wasn't possible before without third party software that wasn't as smooth as how it is in Lion.

The only other difference is being able to have dashboard in its own space and the new full screen stuff which automatically makes a space for full screen apps but those are additions not subtractions.

Another thing that would be nice is a setting related to assigning an app to a space to be able to tell spaces "open this app with multiple windows (like a graphics editor) on it's own new space named after the app and then close it when you close the app" sort of like fullscreen but not fullscreen. So the app would still be the same floating windows over the desktop so you can drag and drop stuff from there to it which is handy for graphics editors. That would be additional to the fullscreen stuff though not a replacement.

Basically spaces just needs a few more "advanced" features. So does launchpad when you come down to it... Not being able to remove icons from it once they are put there unless they are from the app store and then in that case removing them nukes the app from the hard drive isn't exactly good. If they are not from the app store you have to be absolutely certain you want them in there because of that. :P If you drag a whole folder full of apps you may get junk in there you don't want... which for now you'd have to organize into a junk folder. :P Also they need to remove the limit on how many items you can put into a folder in launchpad.

View PostTacohead, on 24 July 2011 - 10:37 AM, said:

I know I can always get the GOG versions of those games and put them in a wrapper but will I be able to use the saved games from the Mac versions I've accumulated so far?
I would say that highly depends on the game whether or not the savegames would be compatible and what version it is... some savegames aren't compatible with newer versions of the game much less on a different platform but some are.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#44 JCdragon

JCdragon

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Steam Name:jcdragon

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:38 AM

View Postclocknova, on 24 July 2011 - 09:28 AM, said:

Ahhhh, iOS.  What a mixed blessing that has turned out to be.  Personally, I hate the influence it has had on Lion, and won't upgrade until someone creates some software that restores some of Snow Leopard's functionality (Spaces, in particular).  Ah, well.  That's progress.

Well I did love spaces, but I am liking Mission Control even better.  Especially with the full screen modes and flipping through them with ease.  I was sad to see spaces taken away but with in a few mins I forgot all about it

#45 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:03 AM

View PostJCdragon, on 24 July 2011 - 10:38 AM, said:

Well I did love spaces, but I am liking Mission Control even better.  Especially with the full screen modes and flipping through them with ease.  I was sad to see spaces taken away but with in a few mins I forgot all about it
Mission Control is really spaces with some more features added but it could use a few more.
--Tetsuo

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#46 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:11 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 24 July 2011 - 11:03 AM, said:

Mission Control is really spaces with some more features added but it could use a few more.

Except that it seems to have made Spaces harder to use by removing what made it useful, namely the grid layout, the ability to page through spaces continually (ie. from space 4 directly back to space 1) and the ability to have certain apps automatically pinned to their own space every time they launch.  If this is still possible, please tell me how.
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#47 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:33 AM

I already talked about most of that three posts up form yours. First of all I noticed it was still honoring the "pinning" preferences I had set in Snow Leopard but I couldn't find where to modify those settings. Then I found in the right click menu in the dock but you move the app to the space you want to pin it to then right click on the icon in the dock and go to options and choose "this desktop" for the current desktop or "all desktop" obviously for all desktops. But yeah like I said they removed the preference pane stuff for that in Lion.

As for the first thing I noticed it still honors the keys I had setup for space in SL too like control+arrow keys to flip through the spaces and control+number key to go direct to the space. Those are now set by the keyboard preferences under mission control by the way rather than in the mission control preferences...  Or you can go to the mission control overview.. or command tab to the app in the space and it'll go straight to it, etc. ;) Point being there's no shortage of easy ways to get to a particular space\app.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#48 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:40 AM

Okay.  Thanks.  But boy did they take something simple and make it more complicated.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#49 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:54 AM

Most of that stuff would go back to the original way like pinning and keyboard shortcuts by putting the preferences for them back into the mission control preference pane. Since mostly what they did was remove it from the original spots so you have to instead go to the dock or keyboard preferences to change them. Right now things seemed to be moved around somewhat and I guess that can be seen as more complicated as it's not what you are used to. Although I have to admit it is a little more complicated to have to actually move an app to a space and then go it before you can assign it there by the right click menu.

I would like to be able to rename the spaces and reorder them in the mission control manually overview by drag and drop or a key+drag and drop. I mentioned another thing I would like in mission control above but it would just be a nice addition and I could live without it.

Oh, the continuously thing you also mentioned I guess you would also like for it to be able to cycle back to desktop 1 after if you continue to go right after the last desktop. Yeah that's gone.. but at least you can like I mentioned switch direct to desktop 1 or any other via a keyboard shortcut or the overview.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#50 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:50 PM

View PostPessot, on 22 July 2011 - 01:05 PM, said:

Please! Stop whining about Apple dropping PowerPC and Rosetta-support.
No. This isn't something you can just deal with, like the low-contrast icons. It's a genuine and serious loss of functionality, and I will complain accordingly.

The least they could do is grant 10.7 owners a license to run 10.6 in a VM. The existing EULA for 10.6 (non-server) forbids it.

#51 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:45 AM

View PostTesseract, on 06 September 2011 - 06:50 PM, said:

The least they could do is grant 10.7 owners a license to run 10.6 in a VM. The existing EULA for 10.6 (non-server) forbids it.

Seconded. I don't believe in complaining endlessly about things that can't or won't change, but asking for a license change is a reasonable position/goal IMHO.

#52 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:28 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 24 July 2011 - 09:39 AM, said:

I know Inside Mac Games doesn't do much in the way of features anymore but IMHO they should be doing one or more features on all this, getting quotes from Aspyr, Freeverse, Feral and so on, maybe getting scoops from developers who are stepping up to support their old games. It's kind of a big deal, and although most of us here saw it coming, the average person doesn't know how to get a list of all their PowerPC applications, and some upgraded to Lion only to find some of their stuff no longer runs. And they aren't mad at Apple, they're blaming at the software companies.
Just saw this now, I haven't been following this thread since I don't play the older games anymore. I enjoyed them a lot when they were out and available but now I play other things.

But why I'm commenting on this so late is because I'm actively trying to do interesting features (just started a new series which will kick off soon) and I think this is a good idea to follow. It is a big deal and important to lots of people I know, and for those who don't follow it, can provide awareness.

I'll see what I can do.
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#53 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:04 PM

Cool. Lots of directions you could take it, depending on the quotes you get. Good luck!

Hm, has Apple ever made a statement about WHY they took this step? I don't think they ever did. Granted, it was never promised as more than a transitional technology, but it would be nice to find a recent quote from them, or maybe even try to get a comment from them. "Apple representatives did not respond before this article went to press." :-)

#54 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:59 PM

To be perfectly honest with you all I have been preparing for this day for quite some time now ever since I got my hands on an intel machine. Because of my  preparations there's only one game that I outright sacrificed due to the dropping of Rosetta and that was Bloodrayne and no app or utility. I think it's a little inappropriate to try to speak for the entire mac community when considering how much a certain thing can be beared. Like, "Everyone at IMG is angry because of the dropping of Rosetta and none of us can deal with or get over it" or "We are all angry because functionality was stripped away from us with no advance notice!!".... more like "Some of us have quite a bit of PowerPC apps and games that we can't for one reason or another upgrade or replace and we are dissapointed at the dropping of Rosetta"...
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#55 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:47 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 07 September 2011 - 07:04 PM, said:

Hm, has Apple ever made a statement about WHY they took this step? I don't think they ever did.
They've barely even mentioned that they did it, let alone why. This document is the only official acknowledgement of it I've seen anywhere.

Granted, it was never promised as more than a transitional technology,
Well, the original marketing fluff sure made it sound like your PPC apps would keep on Just Working forever. I don't think anyone actually thought they were promising never to drop it in a later version, but still…

#56 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:21 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 07 September 2011 - 08:59 PM, said:

I think it's a little inappropriate to try to speak for the entire mac community when considering how much a certain thing can be beared. Like, "Everyone at IMG is angry because of the dropping of Rosetta and none of us can deal with or get over it" or "We are all angry because functionality was stripped away from us with no advance notice!!".... more like "Some of us have quite a bit of PowerPC apps and games that we can't for one reason or another upgrade or replace and we are dissapointed at the dropping of Rosetta"...

Who was this addressed to? I don't see any recent posts using the language you object to.

#57 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:12 AM

Seriously, this is no big deal.  Almost all of my older PPC games which I can no longer play natively I have replaced with their PC counterparts (thank you, GOG) in Wineskin wrappers.  And the things is, they usually run better than their PPC counterparts did in Rosetta anyway.  Get over it.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#58 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:15 PM

I just upgraded my old Unreal (Unreal Gold which includes the expansion pack) in wineskin to the latest unofficial patch from Old Unreal. It sure looks nice with the S3TC HRP texture upgrades, 2560x1440, 16xAA, 8x+antialiasing, as well as the bug fixes and updates they did... and also music working. ;) You need to be running the latest WINE engine (1.3.27) to be able to get antialiasing but it's worth it. It's pretty easy to install too you don't need to do anything special to the wrapper outside of creating one in wineskin winery.... no winetricks or other changes nessasary.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said: